American Sniper

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thats not what I got from the movie when I watched the gunfighter played by Richard Harris get beat to a pulp. I thought the Hackman character was a sadistic prick who got what was coming to him by someone with enough balls to standup to his authority and power.
Totally agree with you !!!!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Josey Wales, Unforgiven - two classics. But are there any fans of Pale Rider here? (I'm one).
I'm a fan of Pale Rider. Not as good as some, but not bad either.

My favorite is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, by far. Eli Wallach just makes that film. His portrayal of Tuco is just fun to watch, "Blondie!" Plus, the music rocks.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My favorite is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, by far. Eli Wallach just makes that film. His portrayal of Tuco is just fun to watch, "Blondie!" Plus, the music rocks.
He should have won an Oscar. But his performance was perhaps a bit too much of a parody for the academy.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
American Sniper wins over the critics and the public. Great reviews and box office takings. Are you going to see it?

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Clint Eastwood has not hit a good movie since 'Million Dollar Baby'
Nonsense, Gran Turino was extraordinary (Especailly how it exposed a little known immigrant culture)

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
American Sniper wins over the critics and the public. Great reviews and box office takings. Are you going to see it?
I saw it over the weekend. Powerful story. Well told.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Think so...After "Fury" nothing can shock me ( beside that i think Eastwood´s movies play in another league )

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't think I have the stomach for another mass market Hollywood movie where noble Americans kill a bunch of "evil" Iraqis after we invaded their country and launched a war of pure aggression based on a web of lies.

The movie I WAS looking forward to was Fury. It got the look of things right. Too bad it was such a plot-less, illogical mess otherwise.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Think so...After "Fury" nothing can shock me ( beside that i think Eastwood´s movies play in another league )
Fury was 'OK' apart from the Tiger clash & the last part of the film, an SS 'Leg' Battalion with only 2 boxes of PF between them, and not a ATMM in sight.......don't think so. but as said good film apart from that, not seen AS yet, but know the story, sad the some idiots (Moore) want to damn it straight away.

Cheers

Perry

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
........and launched a war of pure aggression...
IF we did do this...we did a damn poor job of it.

Last I checked they still have their oil, they still have their land, they run their own government, they don't play baseball and they don't know the Star Spangled Banner....and lastly most of them are still alive.

Take your tripe to the Cantina, and get clear of this net.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
IF we did do this...we did a damn poor job of it.

Last I checked they still have their oil, they still have their land, they run their own government, they don't play baseball and they don't know the Star Spangled Banner....and lastly most of them are still alive.

Take your tripe to the Cantina, and get clear of this net.
We sure do a sh!tty job of imperialism. -- jim

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
America is incredibly powerful and influential; which some people interpret to be imperialism. But there is a difference.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
America is incredibly powerful and influential; which some people interpret to be imperialism. But there is a difference.
I know. That was my point. If we were imperialistic, a lot more of you would speak 'Murican. -- jim

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mods move this thread off this main channel please, it never belonged here to begin with...thanx.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got back from watching the movie. It got a little hollywoody in the middle, but I thought it was excellent. I don't understand why it is being criticized. It certainly isn't pro-war or rah-rah America...

Steve

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Fury was 'OK' apart from the Tiger clash & the last part of the film, an SS 'Leg' Battalion with only 2 boxes of PF between them, and not a ATMM in sight.......don't think so. but as said good film apart from that, not seen AS yet, but know the story, sad the some idiots (Moore) want to damn it straight away.

Cheers

Perry
Offering a view on a film (positive or negative) without having seen it regardless of knowing the story or not seems rather odd. It certainly isn't in this case intellectually dishonest as you are open about not having seen it but it is odd nonetheless.
TO says "it appears to have the makings of a good film" is fine but to say "good film apart from that" requires that one have seen it IMO. YMMV.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Offering a view on a film (positive or negative) without having seen it regardless of knowing the story or not seems rather odd. It certainly isn't in this case intellectually dishonest as you are open about not having seen it but it is odd nonetheless.
TO says "it appears to have the makings of a good film" is fine but to say "good film apart from that" requires that one have seen it IMO. YMMV.
He was saying he hasn't seen "AS", as in American Sniper :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just found out the ending of the film by reading an article which had a spoiler. :(

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Um , re read the post, it states very clearly that I have seen Fury but I have not seen AS, and the comments if read right with punctuation clearly point to those comments being about Fury, Not AS...........so the odd one here is you me old china:smoke: