American Paratroopers

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian-

As far as THH or Tank Hunter crews/ HS's, its all in the eyes of the designer and how he might interpet that action. I for one kinda like the idea of THH for another nationality, but on the other hand, who wants to try and remember such chrome? I dont!

Scott

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
cleerje said:
Americans also tend to be more individualistic than their counterparts in Europe.
They are? How do you know?
Very simple...we left Europe...we left because to stay meant remaining a peasant...a peasant not being the epitome of "individual". Those that stayed appeared to be somewhat satisfied with the situation. Well, at least for a couple of hundred years anyway...till we gave them an example of how to throw off the shackles.

All nationality representations in ASL are very stereotypical...almost racist. The only reason the Marines got an 8 moral was because of who they would be facing and the environment in which their actions would take place.

Consider, trying to conduct a seaborne assault with 7 moral troops versus dug in Nips...can you say massacre?

So, bottom line...none of the morals in ASL are based on serious fact. The Fins are undeserved supermen and the I'ties are undeserved wimps. I suspect that a group of WWII era I'tie troops that were given quality leadership, training, equipment, and motivation would likely perform as well as any WWII era Fins.

jwise

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tater said:
So, bottom line...none of the morals in ASL are based on serious fact. The Fins are undeserved supermen and the I'ties are undeserved wimps.
Undoubtedly true -- but keep in mind what Churchill said when he heard the Italians had entered the war on the German side: ``Well, it's only fair -- we had them last time.''

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My only comment on this

Its a game, games are only as realistic as the rules allow. The counter strengths have been set for many of the nationalities for years. Flame me here, BUT what are we going to do if we change them? Should we revise 20 years worth of scenarios when the counter strengths get changed. If you don't like the strengths, I say change them in your local games to your heart's desire.

Scenarios are playtested for many reasons, one of which is to provide balance. If you change the squads, weapons, etc - you upset that balance.

I've played ASL for years, I enjoy the game. I honestly don't give a damn if Nationality X or Y are not modeled perfectly. If that game comes along that does do this, and surpases ASL, I'll migrate if I find it enjoyable.

This will be my only word on this subject. I enjoy reading the posts on this board, BUT I find this one tedious. If you have to pipe up now, and tell me don't read it then....I feel for you.

Stubinpsu

Reaction score
First name
Stuart
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo wrote:

The current 648/538/838 squads will stay the same. We'll introduce a new 548 1st line squad which will ELR to a 447 2nd line and then to 437 Green. These new squad types are meant to reprensent the not so tough parts of the Finnish army.
Are there plans to change the exisiting Finnish scenarios to reflect these changes to the Finn OB?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jwise said:
Tater said:
So, bottom line...none of the morals in ASL are based on serious fact. The Fins are undeserved supermen and the I'ties are undeserved wimps.
Undoubtedly true -- but keep in mind what Churchill said when he heard the Italians had entered the war on the German side: ``Well, it's only fair -- we had them last time.''
I have heard about that quote. One needs to keep in mind that Churchhill was far more concerned with Italian national leadership than with the individual trooper.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think tank hunter heroes are appropriate for the Finns. I have really only found two other instances where tank hunter heroes are justified, other than the Japanese (which is not to say that there may not be others out there).

The first are the "Indonesians" (Javanese, etc., rebels against the Dutch and British who would soon form Indonesia), who were actually trained by the Japanese themselves in such tank-killing tactics (and there are accounts by Japanese officers about how they did engage in those tactics).

The second is the Armii Krakoja (Polish Home Army) in Warsaw in August-October 1944, where the Poles routinely launched individuals--often children--in suicidal (as opposed to actual suicide) attacks against German tanks.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Stubinpsu said:
Tuomo wrote:

The current 648/538/838 squads will stay the same. We'll introduce a new 548 1st line squad which will ELR to a 447 2nd line and then to 437 Green. These new squad types are meant to reprensent the not so tough parts of the Finnish army.
Are there plans to change the exisiting Finnish scenarios to reflect these changes to the Finn OB?
I've thinked about doing this, but at least for now I cannot see myself doing it. The availability of the AFVs, ordnance and the new squad types will open a big potential for brand new scenario ideas, so to me the bang for buck re-doing the oldies is not there. It would be almost like desining a new scenario from scatch, since you'd have to research the situation in order to retrofit it for the new squads and ordnance, and the you'll have to playtest the whole thing.

But is not bad idea, if anyone is intrested in doing this I'll help where I can.