American NFL football coming to England

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mo money Mo money Mo money. I wonder if the NFL would do as well overseas as Soccer does here. Basketball seem the more likely game to go global.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't there an attempt to have a professional Amercian football league in Europe once? It failed miserably...

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
There has been a massive interest in it over here, a one-off regular season game will have no problem in selling out. However I think that trying to set up a regular league over here would fail.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think the NFL teams in the UK folded, although I believe some are still going in Germany.
I think NFL has as much chance of taking root over here as football (soccer) does in the US! However, as Wolf mentioned I think there are enough NFL fans here to make a one-off event work.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the NFL teams in the UK folded, although I believe some are still going in Germany.
I think NFL has as much chance of taking root over here as football (soccer) does in the US! However, as Wolf mentioned I think there are enough NFL fans here to make a one-off event work.
There are plenty of fans in the US. With LA getting Beckham there will be even more publicity in MLS this year. While I don't think that we will ever be able to compete with premiership, soccer is alive and well on this side of the pond.

Ben

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are plenty of fans in the US. With LA getting Beckham there will be even more publicity in MLS this year. While I don't think that we will ever be able to compete with premiership, soccer is alive and well on this side of the pond.

Ben
Yes, among the 10 to 14 year olds and their moms who drop them off in their mini-vans. As for the paying public, MLS will always be a 3rd rate money draw. Cricket has about the same chance as soccer to become a prime-time sport in the U.S.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, among the 10 to 14 year olds and their moms who drop them off in their mini-vans. As for the paying public, MLS will always be a 3rd rate money draw. Cricket has about the same chance as soccer to become a prime-time sport in the U.S.
Where are you at in the states? In the Midwest (especially Northeast Ohio) it's really big. They are even talking about putting an expansion team in Cleveland. I think you underestimate the number of fans over here. Granted, it cannot compete with NFL but I would say that soccer does as well or better than hockey does.

Ben

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are you at in the states? In the Midwest (especially Northeast Ohio) it's really big. They are even talking about putting an expansion team in Cleveland. I think you underestimate the number of fans over here. Granted, it cannot compete with NFL but I would say that soccer does as well or better than hockey does.

Ben
In the midwest, but further west than you. Your hockey comparison is probably pretty good. Hockey is a big sport at the rec level and even through college. Of course the NHL. However, I believe the NHL's glory days are over and hockey has settled in as a less than prime-time sport in the U.S. I think MLS has to grow to this, but I would doubt MLS can do any better than NHL.

.pars

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah a wee bit, still gash though. Ye can't beat proper fitba(football):p

Jim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like watching NFL, i follow the Seahawks and watched last years Superbowl. There are some American football teams over here in England but there are like 2 or 3 a county, so not many

Its better than shitty rugby
American Football is not better than Rugby, and what do you base that on? Simply because you cant play rugby or because your a t***?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like watching NFL, i follow the Seahawks and watched last years Superbowl. There are some American football teams over here in England but there are like 2 or 3 a county, so not many

American Football is not better than Rugby, and what do you base that on? Simply because you cant play rugby or because your a twat?
Its ****, end of. And, american football is alot better than rugby. T***

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
ll
Mhmm.

Thanks for your fantastic opinion. Which we can clearly see you took some effort in formulating.

Andymac is ****. End of.

See what I did thar?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, Rugby and American Football are totally completely different sports even though they look similar. Neither one is better or worse than the other. Yes, American Football probably(and most likely did) take after rugby, but that doesn't mean that just because they have pads means they are wussies. I've seen extremely hard hits in both sports (like Reggie Bush getting whacked in their playoff game against the Eagles) and many good plays(like for instance when watching a rugby match the other day, and I watched this team work the ball all the way across the field and then score after a guy barrel through several guys from the other team), each sport is different and should be respected as such. It is nice to watch European football sometimes when nothing else is on, and the fact that they have a good solid fan base surprised me, also the injection of NFL players to keep up their fitness level probably adds to competitiveness of the game, and there are many rugby leagues in the states and we even hold an international tourny which attracts some solid national teams (Argentina won the last one I think). As for rugby and soccer to succeed in the US and for American Football in Europe, it is all about how it is portrayed in the media and the interest levels of the people.