American fascism

DWPetros

I can't debate the shit you make up. If you can't show me where he said, then it isn't true. As far as I know, he has never said anything close to what you allege he has said. If you're just going to make it up, then make up my response too. The only confusion is your grasp of facts. -- jim
To paraphrase Hitler: 'I plan to conquer the world'. Now, I can't find the exact quote where he said this, but based on his behavior, I think I've properly paraphrased him. That's how paraphrasing works. You don't have to agree with the accuracy of my paraphrasing of Hitler's position - his actions spoke louder than his words.

Trumps actions and comments, too many to cite here, back up my paraphrasing of Trump also. You also don't have to agree with that. I think more thoughtful people would agree.

Dave68124

To paraphrase Hitler: 'I plan to conquer the world'. Now, I can't find the exact quote where he said this, but based on his behavior, I think I've properly paraphrased him. That's how paraphrasing works. You don't have to agree with the accuracy of my paraphrasing of Hitler's position - his actions spoke louder than his words.

Trumps actions and comments, too many to cite here, back up my paraphrasing of Trump also. You also don't have to agree with that. I think more thoughtful people would agree.
Pretty sure Hitler invaded Poland too. Haven't seen Trump invade any countries yet. Appears the only person playing on fear is you.

DWPetros

There's a bit of evidence found in psychological studies about the differences between the way conservatives and liberals think about the world. Below are a few links to those studies.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/calling-truce-political-wars/

One comment jumped out, which I believe is true:

"The Fear Factor
Psychologists have found that conservatives are fundamentally more anxious than liberals, which may be why they typically desire stability, structure and clear answers even to complicated questions. “Conservatism, apparently, helps to protect people against some of the natural difficulties of living,” says social psychologist Paul Nail of the University of Central Arkansas. “The fact is we don't live in a completely safe world. Things can and do go wrong. But if I can impose this order on it by my worldview, I can keep my anxiety to a manageable level.
When people feel safe and secure, they become more liberal; when they feel threatened, they become more conservative. Research conducted by Nail and his colleague in the weeks after September 11, 2001, showed that people of all political persuasions became more conservative in the wake of the terrorist attacks.”

"Being scared can make you more conservative.
Shutterstock
Decades of research have shown that people get more conservative when they feel threatened and afraid.
Threats of terrorism make everyone less liberal — researchers found this was especially true in the months after 9/11. During that time, the US saw a conservative shift, and Americans displayed increased support for military spending and for President George W. Bush.
Americans aren't the only ones whose political leanings are influenced by fear. A 2003 review of research conducted in five countries looked at 22 separate tests of the hypothesis that fear fuels conservative viewpoints and found it was universally true." - Pew Research

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...rats-conservatives-liberals-think-differently
https://www.businessinsider.com/psychological-differences-between-conservatives-and-liberals-2018-2
https://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/i...e-of-liberals-and-conservatives/#.W75-qqrru9I
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...are-from-mars-liberals-are-from-venus/252416/

This helps me, as a liberal, to understand the conservative way of thinking. Conservatives appear to put a great deal of value on order, loyalty, hierarchy, authority, and having no ambiguity. That seems to fit.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
First name
Jim

But with Hitler, I can find near quotes that are very close. Show me something close for what you allege. Anything. -- jim

When you bring facts, I am ready to continue the discussion. I will not debate your imagination though. It is far too vivid for me to offset.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
How might a person explain the increasing presence of fascist-like movements throughout Europe (Poland, Hungary, Italy, and even Germany)? Is it that they've become more liberal there, or is there a disconnect between the people and who governs? I would agree that while the general population is more liberal in many ways than they were 40 years ago, the political institutions have gone in the opposite direction. Is this what you're implying? If so, how might that have happened?
40 years ago, Pollsnd, Hungary East Germany were not democracies and they are still undergoing the transition. The rise of the right comes about as the younger voters, who never lived through the communist era, come to resent the "failure" of democracy.
Will damage occur as these routes are shown to be false ends? Certainly, look at Brexit.
I can only speak to my own experience but hard right parties may have more exposure today but they have less support.
The breaking of he stranglehold on media content with the rise of the internet makes it easier to get their message out. It's heard by more people but if acted on by less. In my opinion.

von Marwitz

A lot of those places are in the EU. See some of the posts here for example. -- jim
It is prudent to differentiate:

There are those eastern European countries that have not long shed their undemocratic regimes. These seem to be most prone to authoritarism - Hungary, Poland to name the two most prominent. In other eastern European countries, corruption, sometimes by the old quite 'convertible' elite. Not a few of the eastern European countries have been admitted to the EU way too quickly before they were ready. The EU is now paying the price.

In the western EU countries, I believe the main issues that has led to a significant increase of right wing parties is twofold:

First, over the last decades by tendency the 'common man' did not see much of an increase of their wages while the wealth got increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few.

Second, it is the refugee crisis in which Merkel managed to divide not only Germany but also the EU. You have to imagine: In Germany, despite roughly half of the population being against opening the borders at the height of the "refugees welcome" hype, this opposing half of the population was not represented by any - repeat not any - of the six established parties, including the most conservative ones led by Merkel.

So there are EU countries, in which democracy had not had a lot of time yet to firmly establish itself with some of the old pre-fall of the iron curtain problems persisting. And there are the mostly western European countries in which democracy if much more firmly settled but in which the established political parties seem to ignore a good part of their people's interests.

DWPetros

Democracy is dying in many countries, the US, Europe, elsewhere. In fact, its' mostly gone everywhere. One only need to read decent news sources to see that. Democracy has been steadily replaced in recent decades by powerful monied interest groups (MIC); corporations (Intel, Apple, Exxon, etc), financial entities (ie. IMF) who control the so-called elected officials. Income inequality has been rapidly increasing at the same pace - which in turn consolidates the power of the few, furthering the deterioration of democratic systems.

People are noticing all this and responding by embracing the demagogues (ie. Trump). This has happened before - look no further back than Europe in the 30's. Same process then, same now. But the stakes are higher now than then. The world is more interconnected now; economically, culturally, etc.. What happens in the US or Europe is felt worldwide. All this makes people, all people (not just conservatives) fearful and understandably so. Fear has never been the best way forward though, so dividing ourselves into separate camps will eventually lead to violence. Finding compatibility and universality will be the only way through this. This is why I criticize the conservative approach. While understandable - its a non-starter, dangerous, and leads eventually to violence - in my view.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
No democracy is having its intended effect. We are getting our own say again. All over the world people are throwing off the creeping hand of internationalism. Italy and Brazil are not afraid of the violence threatened (and enacted) by the Left. The Left has been violent in this country and they actively seek to assault people. There is nothing that we will do that "leads to violence" because they struck first. Really all that the Left ever had to do was leave us alone. You had the opportunity to live in your dystopian cities, eat all the disgusting slop you call "ethnic food," and have all the gay sex with each other you want. Never did we threaten to take your life of gluttonous consumption away from you, but the nature of evil meant that you weren't pleased that good people existed. You just had to try forcing your hand with people who wanted nothing to do with you.

You don't get to cry foul because we are fighting back (and winning)

DWPetros

No democracy is having its intended effect. We are getting our own say again. All over the world people are throwing off the creeping hand of internationalism. Italy and Brazil are not afraid of the violence threatened (and enacted) by the Left. The Left has been violent in this country and they actively seek to assault people. There is nothing that we will do that "leads to violence" because they struck first. You don't get to cry foul because we are fighting back (and winning)
Wow. Interesting, weird, and a sad commentary that makes my above point. You could have pulled all that verbiage out of 'Mein Kampf'.

Your commentary, better than anything I can say, illustrates the decent of many into right-wing demagoguery - and if such trend continues - into full fascism. Sir, you're being managed by propaganda - not sure what the source (WND, Fox, Breitbart, InfoWars?), but unmistakable. (can I ask where exactly do you find your 'news'?) Putting it roughly, you're being led by the nose as so many other people are around the world - for their personal gain.

The Left has been violent in this country and they actively seek to assault people. There is nothing that we will do that "leads to violence" because they struck first.
Complete lie/fantasy/propaganda.

"As of August 2018, the New America Foundation placed the number killed in terrorist attacks in the United States since 9/11 as follows: 104 killed in jihadist terrorist attacks, 73 killed in far-right attacks, and 8 killed in black separatist/nationalist/supremacist attacks.[38] The politically conservative Daily CallerNews Foundation using data from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), found 92% of all "ideologically motivated homicide incidents" committed in the United States from 2007 to 2016 were motivated by right-wing extremism or white supremacism.[39] According to the Government Accountability Office of the United States, 73% of violent extremist incidents that resulted in deaths since September 12, 2001 were caused by right-wing extremist groups"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism#United_States

Extremist_murders_US.png

Sand Bar Bill

Silver Supporting Member
False/fake news, crooked politicians. revolving doors between government/media/industry, conflicts of interest, anti-democratic laws and rules, astronomical military spending and, eventually, compounding interest on the debt. We are probably the Roman Empire in decline, but we are too close in time to see it.

Dave68124

Democracy is dying in many countries, the US, Europe, elsewhere. In fact, its' mostly gone everywhere. One only need to read decent news sources to see that. Democracy has been steadily replaced in recent decades by powerful monied interest groups (MIC); corporations (Intel, Apple, Exxon, etc), financial entities (ie. IMF) who control the so-called elected officials. Income inequality has been rapidly increasing at the same pace - which in turn consolidates the power of the few, furthering the deterioration of democratic systems.

People are noticing all this and responding by embracing the demagogues (ie. Trump). This has happened before - look no further back than Europe in the 30's. Same process then, same now. But the stakes are higher now than then. The world is more interconnected now; economically, culturally, etc.. What happens in the US or Europe is felt worldwide. All this makes people, all people (not just conservatives) fearful and understandably so. Fear has never been the best way forward though, so dividing ourselves into separate camps will eventually lead to violence. Finding compatibility and universality will be the only way through this. This is why I criticize the conservative approach. While understandable - its a non-starter, dangerous, and leads eventually to violence - in my view.
The fear. Oh, the fear.....

Love you whining about others playing on Fear then you serve it up yourself. Hilarious....

DWPetros

The fear. Oh, the fear.....

Love you whining about others playing on Fear then you serve it up yourself. Hilarious....
You truly are struggling with all these words aren't you?
Maybe if it was explained with a 'graphic novel' (comic-book) it would help?
Read. Think harder. Grow up.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Discredited. The ADL and SPLC are slander organizations. Use something factual and not an infograph made up by a Leftist activist source. Or better yet, show me right now where your "Right Wing Extremists" are beating people in the street. To make it on to an ADL or SPLC "hate list," all you have to do is disallow freak trannies from invading women's spaces. You are calling what is normal extreme but nobody is buying it.

Wow. Interesting, weird, and a sad commentary that makes my above point. You could have pulled all that verbiage out of 'Mein Kampf'.

Your commentary, better than anything I can say, illustrates the decent of many into right-wing demagoguery - and if such trend continues - into full fascism. Sir, you're being managed by propaganda - not sure what the source (WND, Fox, Breitbart, InfoWars?), but unmistakable. (can I ask where exactly do you find your 'news'?) Putting it roughly, you're being led by the nose as so many other people are around the world - for their personal gain.
You are sadly behind the times. Calling people nazis or other names doesn't work. It's corny and outdated. If you don't want to learn from your loss in the 2016 Revolution, that's another mistake you are making.

Left wing sources are a clown circus. CNN doesn't even have the respect of its former anchors. It's either openly trying to interrupt diplomacy (Jim Acosta at the Korea summit), editorializing on the direct feed Our President has to the people, tabloid garbage that we are amazed you believe ("pissgate" and Russian bots), or outright lies (denying Leftist Mob violence). You may not like Alex Jones, and I don't know of anyone who believes everything he says, but unlike CNN reporters he conducts actual journalism. The days of Fox News being totally Neocon are over. Tucker dismantles CNN/MSNBC/etc lies on a daily basis, using their own words in contrast with actual evidence. You being incredibly vague. Throwing out boogiemen who oppose the view of the official media isn't enough: You need to post some facts and dispense with vague references because it is unconvincing.

DWPetros

You are sadly behind the times. Calling people nazis or other names doesn't work. It's corny and outdated. If you don't want to learn from your loss in the 2016 Revolution, that's another mistake you are making. ...
You need to post some facts and dispense with vague references because it is unconvincing.
OK, I'll bite. What do you call yourselves in these times? Neo-nazi is taken. Please inform - I want to be more modern, less outdated when I refer to today's right-wing extremists.

Second, neither facts, commentary or any other forms of reference are designed to convince you of anything. You're already convinced and in a way that mirrors so many other people who're upset at the status quo (getting economically screwed that is). While you're right to be outraged, as I am about it, your solutions - your answers, aren't real answers. They're just reactionary right-wing bleating, and of an unoriginal kind that borrows from conventional sources. They're the familiar cry of the little guy who's been taken advantage of by someone who can't quite put their finger on who or what it is that is oppressing them. You think it's the 'left' because that's what you're told by such intellectual giants as Tucker Carlson or Alex Jones (no Rush?). Tell them both that it's not the left. Nor is it the right. The current rightist, neo-fascism on disgusting display worldwide is just the reactionary response to something more sinister than they are themselves (and that says a lot). The neo-fascist types are just the major problem of the day. No, the culprits are those who have divided the masses into these 2 groupings (among others), while they dance away with the goodies. You might recall the old saying - 'Follow the Money'. True.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
If you think that Rush is relevant in the current year then you are just revealing how out of touch you are. Calling people names has worked so well for you tho. Please don't stop.

loss.png

Dave68124

You truly are struggling with all these words aren't you?
Maybe if it was explained with a 'graphic novel' (comic-book) it would help?
Read. Think harder. Grow up.
So you can post another cartoon? I am not the one crying about Fear in politics like a little bitch, then turn around and use Fear as the premise of my next rant. Apparently you is the one that needs to mature in their thinking and logic.

Discredited. The ADL and SPLC are slander organizations.
lol. Typical. Just call it 'fake news'. You can go to any source you want it all says the same thing. FBI, homeland security, whatever you want beside Breitbart, they all say the same thing.

Heck we don't have to look any farther than you. You're prancing around here babbling about civil war.

Last edited: