American Civil War or Napoleonic

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This question is for people who have played both. I only play ASL now. But if I was to make the jump to Napoleonic or Civil War which is better represented?

Naturally I like small-scale stuff that’s why I play ASL.

Are both these time periods Regimental level only?

Any recommendations for a game of either?

Are there any games out that is Battalion or company level?

Prester John

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don't know of any company or battalion level board games for either genre. Miniatures yes, but I don't know about board games.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There used to be a company level Civil War game called Battles and Leaders- it was put out by Yaquinto in the mid 80's - it is possible that it may have been reprinted.

I can't comment on the play (never played - and sold my copy over a year ago) -although it did have geomorphic maps and terrain overlays. It may have been Bn level for all I know - it was sbu-regimnetal with leaders and I think flag bearers.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I, too, play ASL. When the Napoleonic or US Civil War catches my fancy, I play strategic-level versions: "War and Peace" by AH, and Civil War, by Victory Games. (Both are very old) They're both great and fun. There are several Company-level Napoleon-era games out there - sorry, can't tell you the names - they deal with individual battles, though, I do know. Check out www.grognard.com if you don't know it; you can sort games by era and find plenty of links for each game listed (there are 100s). Hope this helps.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
alanp said:
I, too, play ASL. When the Napoleonic or US Civil War catches my fancy, I play strategic-level versions: "War and Peace" by AH, and Civil War, by Victory Games. (Both are very old) They're both great and fun. There are several Company-level Napoleon-era games out there - sorry, can't tell you the names - they deal with individual battles, though, I do know. Check out www.grognard.com if you don't know it; you can sort games by era and find plenty of links for each game listed (there are 100s). Hope this helps.
Thanks for the link.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Jack said:
This question is for people who have played both. I only play ASL now. But if I was to make the jump to Napoleonic or Civil War which is better represented?

Naturally I like small-scale stuff that’s why I play ASL.

Are both these time periods Regimental level only?

Any recommendations for a game of either?

Are there any games out that is Battalion or company level?
During that general era, companies were administrative, not combat units. Regiments generally (there are exceptions, of course) fought as a block or detaching battalions. Because companies didn't usually fight independently, it's going to make it hard for you to find rules that focus on that -- it's not tactically correct for that period.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Prester John said:
I don't know of any company or battalion level board games for either genre. Miniatures yes, but I don't know about board games.
As far as Napoleonics, the La Battaille system, by Clash of Arms out of Phoenixville, PA is at the battalion level. Personally I don't like the system. It is too hard to win as the Allied player (supposedly even the Brits at Waterloo). Ed Wimble, the company's main force behind the system (although he tends to deny it) is a big Francophile. He tends to hunt down any piece of research which could give the French player an advantage (over and above any that they truly deserve). He did that in the company's Napoleon at Leipzig game (originally designed by Kevin Zucker) at brigade level. For instance, the Allies had an 11% advantage in cavalry, Wimble flip-flopped it. In the La Batt Mont St. Jean, game, he makes an excuse to give the Allied player less arty ammo stating that Picton wore his top hat and overcoat meaning that everything was lost in a Channel storm. Well, Picton always wore a top hat and overcoat, even in the Peninsula. Other than that, lovely graphics.

MMP is working on an ACW system with companies as maneuver elements. They also have the RSS system in that war which is at regimental level.

Other than those mentioned, most battles in both periods are covered at brigade level in board wargaming. My personal favorites are the RSS, CWB and NBS by MMP. They enforce friction at the army level by making players write orders (easier than it seems) and the combat and morale systems are great fun to play through. Clash of Arms' Battles of the Age Of Reason cover 18th Century battles beautifully at battalion level. They do 7YW and ARW stuff. The rules are an offshoot of the La Batt system, but are more fair to both sides.