America

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have lived (by that i mean at least 6months in a single address - and also trying to learn the local language and customs) in the Indian sub-continent, Asia (mainly Japan), Europe (mainly Germany), Australia (born and bred), New Zealand (great ice-cream) and of course the US.

I would have to say that the US is the place i would LEAST choose to live.
Japan (with Germany/Europe as close second) is the place i would MOST choose to live.

In all countries i have met fantastic people and ignorant idiots...

But i am sure that if you have just left the US for the first time (or OZ for that matter) then the world might look like a scary place.

When i was a little boy i remember being terrified by the waves of the ocean when i saw them for the first time... but now i just dive straight in!

GROGnads_USA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Different 'strokes' for different 'folks'

If I could manage it, then I'd MOVE to Europe, and I currently LIVE in the USA, but NOT because I HATE it, only that I want to explore MORE of Europe than the (2) years I spent there! I was stationed in Germany in 1979 & 1980, I went to 'Rock N Roll' Concerts while I was there, discovered "Volks Marches" and thoroughly enjoyed them, attended an "Oktoberfest"(luckily 'missing' out on the 2nd Year's one when a BOMB was exploded at that!), met unusual and exciting People, and NOT have to KILL any of them!

I recall meeting with a German 'WW-2 Vet' who had been on the 'Eastern Front' and had lost some fingers during a Winter spent there. He 'thanked' US for being there, instead of the "Russians", and felt that without our presence, then there'd be NO stopping them from taking over ALL of Europe at the time. When we departed, I felt a kindred sense of 'providing security' of these folk's FREEDOM that they would have NOT been able to exercise if they had been under the Soviet's 'yoke'. Anytime after that, when I'd encounter some folk's 'disdain' for OUR 'presence', I'd just think about the OTHER folk's, including the 'ole Wehrmacht' Soldier, and HOW they appreciated what they had been able to obtain since the end of WW-2! "Raus Aus der NATO! would still be heard, but if it was the other way around, then I'd suppose they'd have been saying "Wilkommen der NATO!"

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Legion said:
I have lived (by that i mean at least 6months in a single address - and also trying to learn the local language and customs) in the Indian sub-continent, Asia (mainly Japan), Europe (mainly Germany), Australia (born and bred), New Zealand (great ice-cream) and of course the US.

I would have to say that the US is the place i would LEAST choose to live.
Japan (with Germany/Europe as close second) is the place i would MOST choose to live.

In all countries i have met fantastic people and ignorant idiots...

But i am sure that if you have just left the US for the first time (or OZ for that matter) then the world might look like a scary place.
This isn't my first trip to Europe. This is my fourth time over the last 17 years or so, and the first time I lived in Europe for three of those years. I have been through all of Western Europe, and despite that, I still say that I like living in Americia more then staying here in Europe. That's how I feel right now.

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BigDog said:
Curious as to what you like better about the states.
The United States is my home. It is a place I know, and a place where all of my tangibles and intangibles are. Europe is a nice place, and I've enjoyed this vacation (how many 17 year olds get to spend two months in Europe by themselves?) but when you go abroad you can truly understand the statement that there really is no place like home. I'm sure if I was born and raised here in Europe, and I went to the US on vacation, I'd like Europe more.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Lt. Dan said:
After being here in Europe for going on two months now, I've come to realize that America is the best damn country in the world. I just have to tell everyone that.
Thanks, I'll make a note.

*Eddie Shuestring*

edit: this great Scot's surname!?

Last edited: