America - at a Crossroads

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be hard to overestimate the crisis that now exists in America. Here's what we have:

• a President who believes himself above the law / ordained by God
  • his private political party behind him - unwilling to challenge him mainly because they fear for their own careers
  • 30-40% of the population who agrees Trump is both above the law and probably ordained by God
  • a rival political party unable to stop him
  • a majority of the population wanting him impeached - but unable to make that happen
  • a judiciary that is questionable
In other words, our professed democracy is in imminent danger of turning into an authoritarian, single-man dictatorship and there is no foreseen check on this sliding further towards authoritarianism.

This is not business as usual. This isn't even your garden-variety impeachment process. I'm old enough to remember the JFK assassination, the Viet Nam War, Nixon impeachment. This current crisis goes well and far beyond all of that. It is easily the biggest turning point since 1861. I'm amazed that this isn't being taken even more seriously - as in 24/7 coverage. It is that serious. WTF

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is locked into a 46%-47% of the electorate. No matter how badly he governs. Those numbers will move if the economy slows or goes down of course.

However, there is no way our country is turning into a dictatorship however. The election process is still there. The only exception would be if the process itself is corrupted, such as election interference, literal election rigging (as in N. Carolina with that do-over election), and otherwise winning on a platform of lies. That still wouldn't be a dictatorship per se, but the US is highly the beacon of democratic ideals it likes to pretend it is.

Interesting that while nearly half the population will vote for Trump, not a single one will show up on this forum... though it was mainly populated by conservatives during the Obama years.

Trump is still better than any Democrat for the Trump voter, too bad Trump is so bad for America.

Off topic... Next up social security and medicare cuts to pay for those tax cuts that have resulted in the rich paying less in taxes than you and I.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that there's quite some space in terms of events between now and dictatorship - and yes, there are unmentioned other checks (ie. military intervention) that could prevent that from happening. Nevertheless, such things aren't unheard of in history and to imagine that America is immune from the natural progression of how single-man rule eventuates, brushing it aside (not that you're doing that) is not a good approach to this problem. Would it be unimaginable if Trump refuses to leave office due to 'election rigging by the deep state'?

Still I get your points. And yes, next up - your Social Security and Medicare will be on the block because 'they're unsustainable' (But really because the GOP doesn't want to upset its wealthy donors by raising their taxes. If we did that - they wouldn't be able to give us all those jobs that we depend on them to do). The GOP wants to give your money to Wall Street.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off topic... Next up social security and medicare cuts to pay for those tax cuts that have resulted in the rich paying less in taxes than you and I.
This has been their plan all along.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"They want your retirement money. They want it back so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street, and you know something? They’ll get it. They’ll get it all from you sooner or later cause they own this fucking place! It's a big club, and you ain’t in it! You, and I, are not in the big club." - George Carlin