Ambush and CC

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, so 2 non-dm squad are in ? terrain and a concealed enemy enters the hex in advance phase.
The attacker gets ambush and decides to only attack one squad. That results in a kill of the target
squad. Attacker then withdraws.
Is the surviving squad dm?
We played that they never saw a known enemy unit and so were not dm and that feels right, but just checking the hive mind.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is just a readin' the rule book answer... but it sure looks to me like you got it right. The CC'ing guys eliminated their "target" ... rule book says they dont lose concealment for attacking if they eliminate their target... nothing about other non-targets in the hex making a difference. So the other brokies never saw nothin...

Of course from a realism perspective the eerie silence from where Dog Platoon used to be should now have them COMPLETELY freaked out.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Iirc you have the option of dropping concealment (i think literally at any time... is that right) ... so if you want to you drop concealment and DM the survivors as you withdraw you can... thats as much a follow up question as it is additional information.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not only do you remain concealed and the opponent not under Desperation Morale but neither you nor your opponent are in Melee at the end of the CCPh (A11.15 [EXC: Any unit which retains its concealment (11.19) is not locked in Melee itself nor can it hold opposing units in Melee. It is free to fire in its next Fire Phase (into the Melee at TPBF; 7.212) or leave the Location in its next MPh/APh...]). Perhaps not the best situation should your opponent have a more powerful broken unit in the location and self rally him in his ensuing RPh.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Iirc you have the option of dropping concealment (i think literally at any time... is that right) ... so if you want to you drop concealment and DM the survivors as you withdraw you can... thats as much a follow up question as it is additional information.
You can drop concealment at anytime other than after a sniper random placement roll has been made and the sniper counter repositioned. Then it needs to be done after the SAN roll is made and before the random direction roll is done.
Also voluntary loss cannot be done if the enemy has attempted to enter your hex. Sure there will be others but those are the only 2 I can think of.