Ambiguous Dates for Scenarios

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every ASL scenario that I can ever remember seeing had an exact date for the battle. However, in doing research on some less well-documented conflicts (e.g., the Chinese Civil War), it's not uncommon to read accounts of battles where they are merely described as taking place in, say, "August 1935." In some instances, more research will probably turn up a source with the exact date, but there are some oral histories from Communist guerrillas where I'm pretty sure that no other English language source exists to document when the battle took place. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and how did you deal with it? It seems a shame to say that a battle is inherently "un-scenario-able" just because of the lack of an exact date.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think that there are a few that just list the month and not the date, I think one from AH was from Partisans, and I vaguely remember one from OAF perhaps.

Yeah, ASL 30 Sylvan Death (May 1944), and ASL 32 Subterranean Quarry (January 1944) just lists the month and no specific day.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the plethora of ASL players worldwide, one can always enlist the assistance of other players to review non - english language source documents.

I've done so with great success for Cyrillic, Dutch and German language documents. Most players with those language skills are more than ready to assist with translations.

And I'd feel free to offer my ability to translate Spanish of Columbian dialect well and knowledgeably to anyone who may desire it for ASL purposes, ( LOL). ( My Spanish is a Columbian dialect as my Aunt and Uncle and Cousins are Columbian, and they live in Villavecencio. They taught me Spanish. So my co - workers here who are from Mexico laugh at my Spanish, because I "sound funny" :).)

KRL, Jon H

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that there are a few that just list the month and not the date, I think one from AH was from Partisans, and I vaguely remember one from OAF perhaps.

Yeah, ASL 30 Sylvan Death (May 1944), and ASL 32 Subterranean Quarry (January 1944) just lists the month and no specific day.
Thanks, I'll take some solace in that (also reminds me that it's been a long time since I looked at the scenarios from Partisan.)

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the plethora of ASL players worldwide, one can always enlist the assistance of other players to review non - english language source documents.

I've done so with great success for Cyrillic, Dutch and German language documents. Most players with those language skills are more than ready to assist with translations.

And I'd feel free to offer my ability to translate Spanish of Columbian dialect well and knowledgeably to anyone who may desire it for ASL purposes, ( LOL). ( My Spanish is a Columbian dialect as my Aunt and Uncle and Cousins are Columbian, and they live in Villavecencio. They taught me Spanish. So my co - workers here who are from Mexico laugh at my Spanish, because I "sound funny" :).)

KRL, Jon H
Thank you for the suggestion, Jon. I have been trying to avoid imposing on people for translations (since French is the only other language I speak/read, I don't have much to offer), but who do you recommend reaching out to for Cyrillic translations in particular? I recently acquired a Russian-language book that I'm hoping will be helpful with details on White Russian military units in Chinese service.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the suggestion, Jon. I have been trying to avoid imposing on people for translations (since French is the only other language I speak/read, I don't have much to offer), but who do you recommend reaching out to for Cyrillic translations in particular? I recently acquired a Russian-language book that I'm hoping will be helpful with details on White Russian military units in Chinese service.
Ray Voloshin

common poster here on GS forums.

Raymond _W I belive.

( for Wolosyn)

KRL, Jon H

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
( My Spanish is a Columbian dialect as my Aunt and Uncle and Cousins are Columbian, and they live in Villavecencio. They taught me Spanish. So my co - workers here who are from Mexico laugh at my Spanish, because I "sound funny" :).)

KRL, Jon H
It may sound funny to a Mexican, but if you take a poll among non-Spaniards as to whose Spanish is the most readily understandable and spoken properly, and these pollsters answer honestly, they will often say Columbian Spanish.

I often ask this question of Spanish speakers I know....and this is the answer most give.

If you wish to hear hear this Columbian Spanish tune into the various Columbian produced 'tella-novelas' on the Spanish cable channels.

[PS: I was born in P.R. and learned my Spanish in the streets and from TV and radio there...and P.R. spoken Spanish is considered among the worst, as it is spoken very fast, and has many alterations to vowels and consonants see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_Spanish.]

Who knew GS ASL was such a cultural exchange forum...and now to return you to your regularly scheduled programing or would that be programming.... ;)

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may sound funny to a Mexican, but if you take a poll among non-Spaniards as to whose Spanish is the most readily understandable and spoken properly, and these pollsters answer honestly, they will often say Columbian Spanish.

I often ask this question of Spanish speakers I know....and this is the answer most give.

If you wish to hear hear this Columbian Spanish tune into the various Columbian produced 'tella-novelas' on the Spanish cable channels.

[PS: I was born in P.R. and learned my Spanish in the streets and from TV and radio there...and P.R. spoken Spanish is considered among the worst, as it is spoken very fast, and has many alterations to vowels and consonants see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_Spanish.]

Who knew GS ASL was such a cultural exchange forum...and now to return you to your regularly scheduled programing or would that be programming.... ;)
Glad to know at least I'm not "wokkin' da dawg awond da cohneh of toity - toid stweet ahnd Dahhlass" to everyone in the spanish - speaking world, LOL

Seguir Rodando abajo

Jon H