Am I in a building?

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A multi hex building extends well into the hex, but the centre dot is in open ground. Is it a building hex or an open ground hex?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
A multi hex building extends well into the hex, but the centre dot is in open ground. Is it a building hex or an open ground hex?
Probably, there are a couple maps where they tried new things. You are in a building on any of the SK maps where there is a building graphic in the hex.

Reactions: Abe

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per 1.1.1 (quoted from ASLSK#EP1), "Usually the dominant terrain type includes the hex center dot, but occasionally non-Open Ground hexes have a hex center dot in Open Ground."

JR

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Per 1.1.1 (quoted from ASLSK#EP1), "Usually the dominant terrain type includes the hex center dot, but occasionally non-Open Ground hexes have a hex center dot in Open Ground."

JR
Thanks for the replies. This is indeed an EP1 scenario (cooks, clerks and bazookas). They are pretty powerful hexes then as they give more LOS options than if the dots were within the building.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the replies. This is indeed an EP1 scenario (cooks, clerks and bazookas). They are pretty powerful hexes then as they give more LOS options than if the dots were within the building.
I am not sure I understand this. LOS is unaffected by terrain in the hex of the viewer/target (disregarding Smoke/WP). Which hex are you thinking of, and what advantage do you think it might give?

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not understanding your response at all; as regardless of the center dot location, it would still be considered a building hex and have the TEM of the building if fire is traced into that location, but a LOS/LOF may be drawn past the obstacle (building in this instance) going thru the center dot in certain circumstances if firing at other hexes, it does not make the hex TEM any more powerful. The same is true for a LOS drawn thru any portion of any hex that does not impact the actual obstacle in that hex whether going thru the center dot or not.:rolleyes:

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not understanding your response at all; as regardless of the center dot location, it would still be considered a building hex and have the TEM of the building if fire is traced into that location, but a LOS/LOF may be drawn past the obstacle (building in this instance) going thru the center dot in certain circumstances if firing at other hexes, it does not make the hex TEM any more powerful. The same is true for a LOS drawn thru any portion of any hex that does not impact the actual obstacle in that hex whether going thru the center dot or not.:rolleyes:
Sorry for the confusion. I’ll try and explain. It’s a 5 hex building on map r. If I am in hex x6 I can see into hex v6, w6 and x6. Even though v6 is in a LOS that would normally cross the rest of the building.

Its really just an artefact of the hex arrangements and is powerful only for my current situation as it limits escape paths for enemy units in the building in this particular situation.

It was a bit of a throwaway comment and I apologise for the confusion it caused. Thanks again for the help.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board Z is full of such situations. Check out V0-V3-X3-X0 for multiple building depictions that provide "lateral" LOS "alongside" the buildings. The K9 building that is a VC in S2 War of the Rats also has this.

Reactions: Abe