Alternative World War - mod for TOAWIII with Communist PO

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I defined the Communist (Soviet/Chinese) PO in Ben Turner's "Alternative World War" scenario, with some minor mods in the map and OOB.

It's available in the downloads section here on SZO

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Berlin, we've got a problem.

:toilet: Mein Fuhrer! There's Ruskis out there, lots of them...:surprise:
We might have to ask the loathed French for assistance :(

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
You'll find a "v1.1" in the downloads section.
I ironed out some minor cracks.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
v1.2 uploaded
This should be the definitive version... unless I discover something grave I overlooked :nuts:

jeff norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
only thing I've seen is the Norwegian Inf DIV's -they seem more like Birgades than Divisions.

Still preening thru it, and loving the larger format. Almost a Monster wargame of old...

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
That's the way they were -except for one unit- in the original scenario

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
That's the way they were -except for one unit- in the original scenario
Obviously it's a long time since I designed the scenario, but the Norwegian Army was a bit funny in this regard. The division was treated more like a corps, with units attached to it to suit a particular role rather than to fit a standardised model.

For example;
1st Division (Oslo): 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 cavalry regiment, 1 artillery regiment
3rd Division (Kristiansand): 2 Infantry Regiments, 1 artillery battalion

I assumed the Regiments were organised on a standard pattern, though I didn't really have any information on them.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
v1.2 uploaded
This should be the definitive version... unless I discover something grave I overlooked :nuts:
Please check events as there are several out of order...

i didn't make a list but if you want an example see which hex is setted as Gorky (important for Soviet surrender). I'm afraid you'll find it in the north Atlantic :surprise:

If you need help with event editor please ring... (i'm not bad with it)

Last edited:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks for pointing this out... I'll look into it.
This calls for a v1.3

I left events as they were in the original... maybe converting to TOAWIII messed them up?

Last edited:

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
i didn't make a list but if you want an example see which hex is setted as Gorky (important for Soviet surrender). I'm afraid you'll find it in the north Atlantic :surprise:
Wow. Not sure how that happened.

Of course, if the Allies are at Gorky, the Russians are in trouble anyway. This shouldn't break games in progress.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I found some mistakes in "withdraw army" events ... and the cause ... renaming of formations :argh:

Fixed that... Am checking the fleets at the moment cuz there also seems to be a self-inflicted bug...

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I found some mistakes in "withdraw army" events ... and the cause ... renaming of formations :argh:

Fixed that... Am checking the fleets at the moment cuz there also seems to be a self-inflicted bug...
The withdrawal failures are prolly do to the conversion to TOAW III, eh? So don't beat yourself up about it. :laugh:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The withdrawal failures are prolly do to the conversion to TOAW III, eh? So don't beat yourself up about it. :laugh:
;) OK

Things can get fixed... got most of it sorted... but this one puzzles me... (see piccie)
New Allied ships come into service... OK...those are scheduled reinforcements... but also disbanding of US Armoured corps which haven't even appeared???

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
;) OK

Things can get fixed... got most of it sorted... but this one puzzles me... (see piccie)
New Allied ships come into service... OK...those are scheduled reinforcements... but also disbanding of US Armoured corps which haven't even appeared???
It could be using the event for two different uses.
ie. It is announcing that the replacements of new battleships has begun, while at the same time using the event to disband some units. Many designers couple their events so that no string is ever just 'news'. Course, this may not be the right explanation for this one in particular...

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
;) OK

The event is targetting the wrong unit. This happens when you add units to the middle of the OOB- sometimes the game doesn't update the events, which reference units not by their name but by their place in the OOB.

Anyway, these events are supposed to target a series of naval disband units, such as "31.12.39a", which disbands (as you might expect) at the end of December 1939, reflecting the ships which were commissioned between the first turn of the scenario and the end of the year.

Apologies, but I have to rant against myself here; there are so many things wrong with this scenario that I wouldn't even know where to start fixing them. From Silvanski's point of view, though, you'll want to figure out exactly which unit EVERY disband and withdraw event is supposed to target and ammend it accordingly. Otherwise the scenario is not even really playable.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks for explaining the events about the naval units Ben.
I understand more about the events editor... learning as I go along

There's no need for self ranting Ben. It is a great "what-if" scenario and I'm having a blast figuring out how to fine-tune it

I figured out the withdraw of each country.
I added one withdrawal on Communist side. The Moldovan formation upon Allied capture of Chisinau reflecting a mutiny/coup which might as well have been possible...
v1.3 is available in the downloads section

v1.4 will include -among others- the naval disbandings you pointed out.

Last edited: