Alternative World War - mod for TOAWIII with Communist PO

ralphtrickey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did that - it did help, but, there is a lag at the turn supply routine.

Also, I see there are other flags in there - any clue to what they do? The one for multiprocessors may be a big help to those running dual-core cpu's...
Probably not a big help. I had to turn it off because the sound library won't handle multiple CPUs. I need to look into that still and see why. THere's a switch for the directsound litbraries, they aren't 100% yet, but should be MP compatible.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Mantis: get two, LOL!

Just started this .sce, and it's *****en!

@Silvanski: WoW! Not far into it, but nice PO, Sir!

A good test of the 'new elmer', and a thoat-cutting example it is!

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks, let me know how the situation develops.
I tried to make it a tough one.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The Zipfile includes a separate folder containing the specific eqp file.

Foggy

Reaction score
Thanks:laugh: Thru T4 - severe carnage around Warsaw :) Both thumbs up so far!

Last edited:

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Trotsky kicks my ass.....

Silvain, et al;

One tough PO, especially for a guy that's been 'out of the saddle' for a while :D ..........

I fear to offer any sort of AAR as I'd not want to ruin anothers' game, but I will say 'read the freaking notes'!

Went to T7 befor I started to wonder what was 'really' going on, and turned the FoW setting off. Seems your PO is handing me my head!

(Oh dear, now we'll have to nuke them from orbit, LOL!)

Your PO seems to be doing a Very good job, as I saw it use an 'assault gun regiment' to perform a cavalry raid on supply lines/controlled areas by slipping thru a 3 hex wide gap. Well Eff me running, eh?

Of course, I helped by treating your elmer:pO as something from ACOW instead of what it is. Little sucker has some teeth, ya bet ya, LOL!

Who would ever believe that a PO could keep formations together and strike just the right places to unhinge a defense.

Be advised, folks, the PO gives no slack, eh? Took me 'till T5 to realize what the PO was doing, and by then it was a bit late for an easy correction.

What's most noteworthy, is that One needs keep serious reserves against the actions of the PO, something I didn't find all that neccesary in ACOW.

Maybe this is due simply to Silvain's excellent 'scripted' PO, or to some extent the new elmer, I'm some kinda seriously impressed, eh?

To any of you who wonder why spend the bucks for 'the same game', well, It's not the same game you used to play! It's 'obscene'........:nuts:
--------------
ToaW 4: mouse-wheel (scrolling) map-magnification, more spaces in the event engine, a 'cleaner' editor ;)

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks for the response Kurt.
It took lots and lots of test runs to get the PO tracks about just right, but I believe a lot of credit has to go to the improved Elmer. I have no experience with its behaviour in ACOW but from what I read he's come a long way since then.

That Elmer has got you by the throat this time doesn't mean it will be the next time you start the scenario. The variable turn events in the beginning play a part in release of Allied (especially German) reinforcements.
OK it's a bit of a lottery, but this seemed the best way to simulate the carousel of diplomatics which lead to a French-German agreement.

And yeah... do read the freaking notes LOL I have to remind myself to write down tiny details before playing a scenario, whether or not against Elmer, cuz one might overlook something important which can be beneficial to your defenses.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Silvain;

Do note that I'm not at all unhappy that my mistakes (so far) are about to bring a fearful retribution down on me, :lier: , as they were all things that I'd never have done vs a human.

Lacking anything besides the motorized divisions to use for recon purposes, I basically said 'no fear' and charged off into the blue, w/o doing any serious recon at all. WHOOPS! Methinx that breaking said divs down and letting them swan off and possibly get eaten would be cheaper than the 2 GE armies hanging thier collective asses out in E. Prussia are going to be, LOL!

Seduced by the empty map! We've all read about that, nicht wahr? Mea Culpa, mea culpa, chit! Fog of War is not your friend, :p !

Having buttered my buns, I think I'll lay down in them and see how the game continues, eh? As you say: 'it's all about the event engine', and I'm having fun figuring out what's happening from observation alone.

If you wish, I'll email/pm screenies, but I don't think I should do same 'openly' as the scenario is at it's best when one doesn't see the future, eh? Especially for one that's this long.....;) , and another reason to continue, glaring idiocies or no :paperbag: , lol!

I rate this scenario as 'well worth your time', and :thumup: :thumup: and a :hail: for your conversion!

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks for the positive remarks L'z Fog of war is one of the nice things in TOAW aye ;-)
Yeah I'd like to see some screenies if possible... silvanski -at- gmail dot com

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive remarks L'z Fog of war is one of the nice things in TOAW aye ;-)
Yeah I'd like to see some screenies if possible... silvanski -at- gmail dot com
Happy to oblige, Silvain. Gimme a couple o' days, and I'll try to scrape together a mini-aar for ya, eh?

Time has been a problem here-to-for, but should have more from now on. Still want to run this particular game some more, eh?

Foggy

Reaction score
Yeah when running it a couple of times you'll notice the variability
:D I ran the first turn 6 times in a row - Elmer did the same airdrops each time;) Still early - but this might rank w/Fall Grau for enjoyment:smoke:
Any plans for a PBEM version to date?

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Something for (maybe) a later version might be variable PO tracks, once I mastered that part of editing... that would make the airdrops less predictable.

For a PBEM version I'll have to blunt the Commie side a bit

BTW Fall Grau, is that the one "under development" over at TDG or is it actually available? ... there are several Invasion USA scenarios but from the AAR's this one seems very interesting.

Last edited:

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
:D I ran the first turn 6 times in a row - Elmer did the same airdrops each time ;)
@Foggy; possibly due to Commies having 1st initiative in T1, eh? Not much I've found to due about the commie/paras exept respond asap (right, lol)....

@All; I'll note that the PO looks for not only the 'supply' sources, but seems to look for weaknesses in your own supply lines, and executes 'move to contact' measures upon same!

Morale of the Story: Don't hang your ass out, this isn't ACOW! Got 'raided' early in the game by a regimental size unit through a fairly small hole in the my lines. Supply raids can really screw up your day, LOL!

Foggy

Reaction score
@Foggy; possibly due to Commies having 1st initiative in T1, eh? Not much I've found to due about the commie/paras exept respond asap (right, lol)....

@All; I'll note that the PO looks for not only the 'supply' sources, but seems to look for weaknesses in your own supply lines, and executes 'move to contact' measures upon same!

Morale of the Story: Don't hang your ass out, this isn't ACOW! Got 'raided' early in the game by a regimental size unit through a fairly small hole in the my lines. Supply raids can really screw up your day, LOL!
This might make a great scen for a beginner's workshop - either side actually - get pummeled or do the pummeling;)