Alternative World War - mod for TOAWIII with Communist PO

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Screenie

This one's for Secadegas:toast: ...
A "kick-ass" manoeuver by the 1st Portuguese division helped the British break out of Gibraltar :rifle:

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have look to youre oob. And have see that no side has marines/naval infantry.
Well, the whole OOB is pretty dubious. I'd be the first to admit to that. However the omission of the marines isn't too big a deal. It's basically a divisional scenario and, as far as I am aware, of all the combatants in the real second world war, only the Americans formed whole divisions of marines, and these could be assumed to be supporting the Japanese in the Asiatic theatre.

That being said if I ever finish the new version you will of course see various marine units.

jeff norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the whole OOB is pretty dubious. I'd be the first to admit to that. However the omission of the marines isn't too big a deal. It's basically a divisional scenario and, as far as I am aware, of all the combatants in the real second world war, only the Americans formed whole divisions of marines, and these could be assumed to be supporting the Japanese in the Asiatic theatre.

That being said if I ever finish the new version you will of course see various marine units.
True. No Allied Mountain troops (besides the Hungarians and Romanians) or other 'special' forces (besides the ABN units).

I've 'played' with a copy (not the newest one, since I'm still playing a test copy, and loosing bad....) and adjusted a few Allied forces as mountain troops, due to the various mountain ranges available.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The basic OOB has remained virtually unchanged except for the introduction of garrisons and the minor airforces. The main aim was to turn this large scenario into one with a workable PO.

Ben's got something in the works which I'll be awaiting patiently though anxiously

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
...I'm still playing a test copy, and loosing bad...
I've got an AAR going on in the Matrix forum.
While being on the brink of victory in Spain I'm having a hard time keeping the red hordes in check in Central Europe.

Crazy Dutch

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands

I think that you made a little mistake that the Americans formed only divisions. The UK had in 1940 the Royal Marine Division and I thought also a second.

The Dutch has no division, but the strength of all marines at the start of the war was about Brigade strength, and growing. At the end of the World War had they a Marines Brigade underway from the US to India.
For the Italians had the San Marco Brigade
I don't know about the French, but I think that they mayby has also a total strength of about a Division.

And let's not forgot the Soviet Union himself. They had plenty brigades of Marines/Naval Infantry Brigades in World War II

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ben's got something in the works which I'll be awaiting patiently though anxiously
Give me five years or so.

Anyway, Jeff will be pleased to hear that although I've barely started the Allied OOB I've already included four mountain units and a marine infantry brigade in the Polish force.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think that you made a little mistake that the Americans formed only divisions. The UK had in 1940 the Royal Marine Division and I thought also a second.
The Royal Marine division never fought as a formed unit, though. So far as I'm aware there was only one and it seems only to have served as an adminstrative HQ for smaller forces.

The Dutch has no division, but the strength of all marines at the start of the war was about Brigade strength, and growing.
Yes, as I recall the Dutch marines were about the only regular troops available.

For the Italians had the San Marco Brigade
Two battalions, as I recall.

And let's not forgot the Soviet Union himself. They had plenty brigades of Marines/Naval Infantry Brigades in World War II
Well, here I have the trump card of alternate history. Wasn't most of the naval infantry formed for emergency purposes as their coastlines were swallowed up by the Axis advance? I would think the Soviets would need all the sailors they could get to defend their long coastlines from Allied raids.

Anyway, rest assured that Britain, Holland, Poland, Italy and Romania at least will have their marines and naval infantry if I ever get around to them in the new version.

Crazy Dutch

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Well, here I have the trump card of alternate history. Wasn't most of the naval infantry formed for emergency purposes as their coastlines were swallowed up by the Axis advance? I would think the Soviets would need all the sailors they could get to defend their long coastlines from Allied raids.
The Soviets had 2 types of Naval Ground Troops in world War II.
The Biggest part where as you say the sailors of the fleet. But there is also a small part of it Naval Infantry or Marines who was trained for amphibious assaults.

Anyway, rest assured that Britain, Holland, Poland, Italy and Romania at least will have their marines and naval infantry if I ever get around to them in the new version.
And mayby also France, Spain and other countries who has big navies or a long naval history.

P.s. Have you mayby a ETA of the new version.:D

And for all Merry Christmass and Happy Newyear for 2007

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Someone on the Matrix forum pointed out that some equipment didn't go into production.
Fixed that and uploaded the updated sce file.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I'm working on a prototype V3 trying out these changes.

*Corrected replacement rates. Some equipment destined for introduction on later turns didn't get produced, and other rates were extremely low.
The inventory now comes closer to the one in Ben's original.
*Later activation for Allied formations.
*Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Ireland are placed in garrison status.
*The Polish airforce is the only Allied airforce which starts on the map on turn 1. Other Allies' initial airforce units will gradually come in when they join the conflict. By turn 25 all air units that used to start on turn 1 will have appeared.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Testing out these...
*Formations from Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Ireland activate on turn 350 (this means, only when they're attacked)
Italian formations only when attacked .... Italy joins the conflict on turn 90 regardless
*Same thing for naval units as for air units, introducing them as reinforcements instead of activating on a certain turn... the Commies waste too many aircraft attacking distant naval units of countries not yet at war...

Last edited:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Testing something new...
*Surprise attacks on Norway, Sweden, Romania, Hungary, Turkey, Iraq, Portugal and the South of France will occur on variable turns. The formations of these countries will only activate one turn AFTER the latest possible turn they're attacked, unless approached of course.