Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A case of self-doubt here...probably just a stupid question:

Do non-excluded hindrances (like Orchard or Graveyard) apply to an Alternative Hex Grain Fire Lane when a direct LOF to the target Location would not cross the hindrance itself?

As an example, refer to the example found in A9.221 (using the MMG's left-side FL):

Assume that neither the K7/K6 wall nor the J5 building exists. A FL shot attack on J5 would certainly receive a +1 hindrance from the graveyard, as would a FL Snap Shot against a unit moving from I5 into J4. But how about the FL vs. I5? I assume there'd be no hindrance, since a direct shot wouldn't even cross the graveyard (just as there would be no TEM vs. an attack on J6!).

It seems obvious... my doubt solely because the FL is, nonetheless, drawn directly down the hexline. Also, since the J6-K6-K7 wall vertex would block the FL altogether (beyond J5), it makes sense that the graveyard (which exists at the same vertex) might hinder all fire beyond that point.

Sincerely,

Over-thinking in Ann Arbor

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think the firelane would be blocked beyond J5 by a wall vertex: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/fire-lane-question.128617/. In this case the wall vertex will block it to J5 and the building in J5 will block it beyond J5. And to your question, different hexes can have different combinations of hard & soft hindrances that apply to them, and the effect is determined solely by the LOF from the firelane MG to the particular target hex.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your question is rejected for the following reason:

[ ] Simply too inane to deal with. Do you actually own the game?
[ ] It's been asked and answered before. The Search box is your friend.
[ X ] Your illustration used old-style VASL graphics. It hurts our eyes.
[ ] You cite Reality Arguments. You should know ASL is a simulation of a war movie, not a war.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I don't think the firelane would be blocked beyond J5 by a wall vertex: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/fire-lane-question.128617/. In this case the wall vertex will block it to J5 and the building in J5 will block it beyond J5. And to your question, different hexes can have different combinations of hard & soft hindrances that apply to them, and the effect is determined solely by the LOF from the firelane MG to the particular target hex.

JR
THANKS for assuaging my doubts!
Your question is rejected for the following reason:

[ ] Simply too inane to deal with. Do you actually own the game?
[ ] It's been asked and answered before. The Search box is your friend.
[ X ] Your illustration used old-style VASL graphics. It hurts our eyes.
[ ] You cite Reality Arguments. You should know ASL is a simulation of a war movie, not a war.
...um, thanks (?), for throwing me into a existential tailspin.

...do you publish hard copies of that form (preferably in post-card form so I can send them by mail)?

Last edited: