Alpine Hills

buser333

Reaction score
Do I understand alpine hills correctly that basically the only difference between them and regular hills is that same level LOS is limited to the first such hex encountered by the LOS?

In other words, a unit at a higher level (say 4) can see all lower level hexes (say 3) its LOS encounters (barring blind hexes, etc)?

And continuous slopes are handled the same as for ordinary hills?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I believe that's all the rule says!

Regarding "continuous slopes":

Q: B.5 & B10.211 Does “alpine hills” block LOS down an continuous slope?

A. No​

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do I understand alpine hills correctly that basically the only difference between them and regular hills is that same level LOS is limited to the first such hex encountered by the LOS?

In other words, a unit at a higher level (say 4) can see all lower level hexes (say 3) its LOS encounters (barring blind hexes, etc)?

And continuous slopes are handled the same as for ordinary hills?
I know somebody is going to come on here and point out that this is wrong, but I was taught to think of Alpine Hills as if every unit on the same level was in rubble. Unless you have height advantage, you can only see units that are ADJACENT to you.

buser333

Reaction score
I know somebody is going to come on here and point out that this is wrong, but I was taught to think of Alpine Hills as if every unit on the same level was in rubble. Unless you have height advantage, you can only see units that are ADJACENT to you.
That seems like a very good way to imagine it. I think that would be exactly right.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having played with Alpine Hills and played the hilltop incorrectly, I have to agree that Clubby's method, or whoever told him that, is spot on.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Alpine Hills are the example of a very simple rule which is not very intuitive - I actually cannot vizualise well what they could look like in real life. I live next to the Alps, but I don't quite see how people at the same altitude may not see one another - ripples are not 20 meters wide most of the time.

However I prefer things that way, rather than elaborted rules which try to take into account most aspects of one's perception of reality
(e.g. Slopes)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Think "very broken terrain". I'm not sure how to reconcile this with my perception of what the Alps look like, but it seems to be the general idea. The analogy to rubble isn't bad: the guys very close to you are visible because they're assumed to be at least somewhat interested in you, but anybody further on is hidden by some bump or other in the ground.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's a Spoiler Alert button, and why is there one on Robin's post?

spoiler.jpg

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I created it myself.
Click on it.
;)

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What's a Spoiler Alert button, and why is there one on Robin's post?
You can use any of the xenforo tags (https://xenforo.com/community/help/bb-codes/) inside a post. Some are in the editor, some not. The ones that are not in the editor you can just type in: [SPOILER=Spoiler Title]Spoiler with a title[/SPOILER].

edit: I take it back: spoilers are in the editor under the "+" thing.

You can also use the smilies (https://xenforo.com/community/help/smilies/), but don't. :sick:

JR

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. Last time I did that I had to go though a cycle of antibiotics.