ALL THINGS ALBANY 2017

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are the scenario splits. Results are Axis-Allies.
BFP29 Hueishan Docks 4-1
BFP83 The Second Belt 1-1
DBOT4 Turning the Screws 1-0
159 White Tigers 2-0
AP129 A Polish Battlefield 1-2
DB130 Tigers and Flames 1-2
ESG03 Resistance at Paderborn 0-1
AP125 Ambush on South Knob 1-1
FrF87 Mormal Forest 4-4
J189 Buckley's Block 6-4
LFT Send More Pigeons II 1-0
SP258 Operation Blackwater 3-1
AP131 Crickets in Spring 3-7
CH157 Armored Probe 2-2
FrF89 Red Tears Shed on Gray 4-3
ITR11 Cremation Station 1-1
LFT The Kings of Bollersdorf 1-0
AP122 Mechanized Sacrifice 0-3
BFP118 Kazina Clash 2-2
DBOT3* Bloody Tired 1-3
FrF85 Junkers Junkyard 2-2
SP263 Snova Snare 1-3
DBOT1* "Things Are…A Bit Sticky" 1-1
FrF88 Panzer Shield 2-1
ITR14 Between Rockets and a Hard Place 0-1
J187 In Deadly Combat 2-1
LCP Storm Five Five Five 0-1
AP127 The First Virtue 1-0
BFP114 Engineering Defeat 1-1
FrF86 Belgian Tigers 2-2
DBOT5* "These Goddamned Tommies!" 1-0
J183 A Real Barn Burner 1-4
PAD1 Time is Tight 1-2
PAD2 The Quick and the Dead 0-1
PAD3 Earning Face 0-1
FrF91 Moonlight Drive 1-0
J167 Hart Attack 1-0
WCR7 A Primed Situation 1-0

Only Crickets in Spring is possibly problematic. Personally, I think it has a learning curve issue. The Germans are harder to grasp. I suspect that the scenario will eventually drift back towards even over time. The Russian side in Panzer Shield also has a difficult learning curve. I anticipate that it will show significantly pro-German even though I think it is only slightly pro-German at top level play.
Steve

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to Bill Cirillo for winning this year's tournament. He went 5-0 against a tough lineup. Here are the top 22:
1 Cirillo
2 Mei
3 Sidhu
4 Rosso
5 Wiersma
6 Deller
7 Rodgers
8 Duenskie

Note the strong showing by the New Jersey contingent - 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 8th place. They appear to have an excellent training program.

In the Heretical Gor-Gor mini, Ron Duenskie emerged victorious.

Congrats to ... Jonathan Kapleau on being initiated into the ASL club.

Steve

Go NJ crew! :clap:

We're going to make Cirillo an offer he can't refuse! :confused:

Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NEW YORK STATE ASL CHAMPIONSHIP WISHES TO ACKNOWLEDGE OUR FINE SUPPORTERS AND SPONSORS:
BattleSchool
Osprey Publishing
Bounding Fire Productions
Friendly Fire
Le Franc Tireur
MMP
Lone Canuck Publishing
Broken Ground Design
Countersmith Wprkshop
Kansas City ASL
StackPole Books
Casemate Publishing
Dispatches From The Bunker
Michael Rodgers
Peter Struif
Paul Sidhu
Joe Gochinski
Seth Semenza
Steve Pleva
Charlie Willmer

Thanks to all of you, the Albany raffle remains THE premiere raffle in the ASL Tournament world!

Joe Leoce

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO KEN SMITH FOR WORKING WITH THE NEW YORK STATE ASL
CHAMPIONSHIP TO ONCE AGAIN HAVE ANOTHER NUMBER 1 PRINT OF HIS FANTATSTIC MMP
BOX COVER ART ( "FROZEN", FROM THE FORGOTTEN WAR ) AT THE TOURNAMENT
AS A RAFFLE PRIZE.

Joe Leoce

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who did it?
Me, I had to play Talyor in the final at ASLOK because Pleva had to go home early that year. Then in December I got to finally play and win against Steve for the championship at Albany. In my case needing a win at Albany to give my ASLOK win a little extra (because the number one contender had dropped out), Brett concurred. Whoever beats Tayor in the ASLOK final tends to win Albany, lol.

Who cares, ALL HAIL CIRILLO !!!

Last edited:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As always, the annual (14th in this case) New York State ASL Championship was a blast. This year’s version was run masterfully by Steve Pleva, while the always first-class raffle was a player favorite due to the tireless efforts of Joe Leoce to create a great prize pool. I’d like to thank both of them for all of the hard work that they put into making the Albany ASL tournament both a great gaming success and a very welcoming environment. I’d also like to acknowledge my appreciation for the amount of creative talent that Joe puts into creating the winner’s diorama each year.

I’d also like to acknowledge the competitive spirit, sportsmanship, and general awesome sense of humor of each of my opponents. If one has never been to an ASL tournament, I would strongly encourage then to attend as they are a great place to interact with a wonderful community.

Bill

Congratulations to Bill Cirillo for winning this year's tournament. He went 5-0 against a tough lineup. Here are the top 22:
1 Cirillo
2 Mei
3 Sidhu
4 Rosso
5 Wiersma
6 Deller
7 Rodgers
8 Duenskie
9 Chapman
10 Wong
11 Hershey
12 Tracy
13 McDiarmid
14 Hogenhaug
15 Hayward
16 Struijf
17 Puccio
18 Hamilton
19 Allexenberg
20 Tewksbury
21 Merritt
22 Garvin

Note the strong showing by the New Jersey contingent - 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 8th place. They appear to have an excellent training program.

In the Heretical Gor-Gor mini, Ron Duenskie emerged victorious.

In the hotly contested Operation Turnscrew mini, Michael Hershey claimed the wood.

Thanks to all for making it a great weekend. The vibe and sportsmanship was as good as it's ever been. Special thanks to Kedge who tutored not one, but two graduating SK players in the full rules game. Congrats to John Wood and Jonathan Kapleau on being initiated into the ASL club.

Joe Leoce once again did the heavy lifting to make sure the event went smoothly and, of course, another fine 1st place diorama.

Finally, thanks to my scenario playtest/feedback group. They were invaluable putting together a really good scenario list. I was pleased with the results (to be posted soon).
Steve

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First of all, big thanks to Steve and Joe for running a top class event. Second, a big hurray to Bill and his Maker (Sean D.) for winning against the toughest opposition on the ASL planet. Congrats to Gary Mei for his deserved second place, as well.

I drove nearly 2,000 miles over three days to make the return journey to Albany from Halifax, Nova Scotia and every mile was worth it. I will post a brief AAR in that section.

Biggest high for me - playing a really strong game in Crickets in Spring against top class opposition, and seeing how our scenario Red Tears Shed on Gray provided what Bill and Gary needed to make a memorable final for Albany.

See you next year all....

Peter

chapman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another fun Albany, thanks Joe and Steve!
Congrats Bill, well deserved championship, it was a blast playing you and now you HAVE to go for the triple crown at WO18.
Peter thanks for such a fun Sunday match, I'll never look at smoke grenades and ATRs the same way again!:rofl:

Beef on Weck!

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris,

I thoroughly enjoyed our game, but admittedly it would have been even better w/au jus! :D

Another fun Albany, thanks Joe and Steve!
Congrats Bill, well deserved championship, it was a blast playing you and now you HAVE to go for the triple crown at WO18.
Peter thanks for such a fun Sunday match, I'll never look at smoke grenades and ATRs the same way again!:rofl:

Beef on Weck!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After winning Winter Offensive in January 2008.

But no one has won all three in four months.
Something for Cirillo to shoot for.
So Bill Cirillo stands besides Steve Pleva as having the most successful year in ASL tournament play.

Steve is the only one to win Winter Offensive, ASLOK, and Albany in the same calendar year.

Bill is the only one to win ASLOK, Albany, and Winter Offensive over the course of four months.

Inevitably, one must have a good bit of luck to accomplish anything like that, but one must first be a helluva player.

Our hobby is lucky that two such great players are also great people.