Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
List Lurkers,

Mark it on your calendar.

ALBANY 2017 IS THURSDAY NOV 30TH-SUNDAY DECEMBER 3RD

Continuing with the new 4 day format introduced last year,
Albany will feature open gaming and mini-tournaments on Thursday,
along with the first round of play for the main tournament.

Players will have the option of having a mini result count for
the main tournament. For those who can't make it on Thursday,
we'll feature shorter scenario choices in a "motor pool" and/or a shorter
"catch up" scenario among the round choices to allow everyone to
finish 6 rounds by Sunday for "the wood".

More details will follow as they are available.

Please make plans to BE THERE with your ASL comrades from
the US, Canada and Europe who continue to make Albany one
of the premiere ASL events nationally and internationally.
Our 14th year will be the biggest and the best ever!

Joe Leoce

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A SPECIAL MESAGE FROM STEVE PLEVA ABOUT ALBANY 2017

This year’s tournament will have a slightly different format from last year’s. One Thursday game will count towards your overall record. Thursday events will include:

1) Regular play (Scenario size will depend on how early you can start playing. Want to play a monster? Start early and play all day. Can’t get to Albany until 7:00pm? No problem, pick from a set of smaller scenarios.)

2) Thursday Mini(s) One or more 4 person mini tournaments (Arriving Wednesday night or early Thursday and don’t like to play monsters? Jump into one of these minis and get a couple of scenarios in before day’s end. First game counts towards your weekend record.)

3) Gor-Gor Heretical Mini (Looking for a change of pace? Try your hand at ASL with a page of special SSRs that make the game better and more realistic. I have been running this mini at ASLOK since 2009. Most guys enjoy the new challenge. Several players participated in multiple years.)

The main tourney will continue on Friday with most players needing to play two scenarios Friday and Saturday before the final round on Sunday. Can’t make it until Friday? No worries, a special set of smaller “motor pool” scenarios will be available so you can catch up to the pack in number of scenarios played.

Out of contention on Saturday morning? We’ll run one or two mini tournaments (regular or Gor-Gor Heretical) so you can still play for “wood”.

Can only make it for a couple of days? No worries. Drop by and we’ll hook you up with a few games.

As you can see, there’s something for everyone. There is still the top-level competition that made Albany famous, but there is also plenty of room for new players to cut their teeth. Just walking around the room watching top level players and chatting ASL can improve your play. If you have any questions, please ask…

Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be clear, we want everyone to have fun. If there is something that does not work for you, let me know and I will try to find a solution...
Cheers,
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One note about the Pleva Bidding System (PBS). It has been used now for a few years and many players really find it helps to make the scenarios more balanced. More and more players are getting comfortable with it. However, there are some players that are still a bit intimidated by it. Unless you are undefeated and both players agree, you can come up to me as the TD and I will recommend what bid to play the scenario at and you can dice for sides. No need to let the meta game get in the way of your enjoyment. That being said, I still encourage bidding since I think, in the long run, it helps you to be a better player since you have to consider the various effects on scenario balance...
Steve

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
One note about the Pleva Bidding System (PBS). It has been used now for a few years and many players really find it helps to make the scenarios more balanced. More and more players are getting comfortable with it. However, there are some players that are still a bit intimidated by it. Unless you are undefeated and both players agree, you can come up to me as the TD and I will recommend what bid to play the scenario at and you can dice for sides. No need to let the meta game get in the way of your enjoyment. That being said, I still encourage bidding since I think, in the long run, it helps you to be a better player since you have to consider the various effects on scenario balance...
Steve
I'm happy to read this, and it makes me ask this: why not print your suggested "dice for sides" handicaps with the PBS bid info? Then people would not need to bother you.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm happy to read this, and it makes me ask this: why not print your suggested "dice for sides" handicaps with the PBS bid info? Then people would not need to bother you.
Great question! Because bidding is not just about the scenario. It is also about your side preference, your mood that day or the fact that you've played defense 3 straight times and now you want to attack. Also, for most scenarios, I would not give the same answer to two top level players as I would for two relative newbies. Some scenarios are balanced at the top level of play, but imbalanced for newer players and vice versa. One size does NOT fit all. I want the guys chasing wood to think for themselves. Finally, I could be wrong so I would not want to bias the whole field in the wrong direction. Worst case I'll steer a game or two off course...
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got done looking over the new Dispatches issue and it looks good. Will have some or all of the scenarios on the tourney list. Any interest in a Saturday-Sunday mini tourney featuring the three smaller scenarios?

Also, if there is enough interest we could have a bunch of maps printed up. That should be cheaper and better than people printing them up one at a time.
Thanks,
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, just played DBOT1 Things Are...A Bit Sticky and about to play DBOT3 Bloody Tired. Had a blast with the first one and looking forward to the second one. I will have an 8 player mini tournament for Saturday-Sunday featuring scenarios DBOT1, DBOT3 and DBOT5. These scenarios will also be in the main tourney list. Good clean fun from the Bunker crew!
Steve

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, just played DBOT1 Things Are...A Bit Sticky and about to play DBOT3 Bloody Tired. Had a blast with the first one and looking forward to the second one. I will have an 8 player mini tournament for Saturday-Sunday featuring scenarios DBOT1, DBOT3 and DBOT5. These scenarios will also be in the main tourney list. Good clean fun from the Bunker crew!
Steve
Sadly, I won't be able to attend 2017 either. Currently playing OT CG and it is 1st rate ASL product.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all you Albany ASL'ers...

We've made a move this year to guarantee that this year's tournament...
our 14th!...goes off without a hitch. There was the possibility that our home,
the Best Western Sovereign Hotel would be closed on our tournament dates
this year, so we have moved to

The BEST WESTERN ALBANY AIRPORT HOTEL
200 Wolf Road, Albany NY 12205
(518 ) 458 1000

This hotel is just about a mile and a half north of the Sovereign.
All of the details for the tournament remain unchanged.
Our room block is already up and will be active through 10/30.
Just mention New York State ASL Championship and you'll receive
our special rate of $80 per room...including Breakfast.

As in the past, if you register for your room directly with the hotel,
you receive an additional free raffle ticket.

28 players are pre-registered as of today. Current number of free raffle
tickets you receive today through August 31st is 3 ( 4 if you register
for your room directly with the hotel ).

I hope to see you there 11/30-12/3.

Joe Leoce

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have registered and have the hotel booked, this will be my third year in a row at Albany and I am looking forward to it.

I was wondering if anyone would be traveling up from Central Connecticut as I am thinking of visiting family in that area before and after the tourney and would be interested in sharing a ride. Would happily contribute to transportation costs.

Gary

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
For your info:

I called the hotel on a Sunday evening to book my room. They asked me to call back during regular business hours "when the person who handles group bookings" is in.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For your info:

I called the hotel on a Sunday evening to book my room. They asked me to call back during regular business hours "when the person who handles group bookings" is in.
Obviously a client/customer oriented establishment!:eek::rolleyes::D

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The info will be flowing in the next few weeks. The entire list will be set just after ASLOK. The PBS will follow a couple of weeks later. Here are the early Thursday rounds.

Early Thursday (10am start)
BFP29 Hueishan Docks
BFP83 The Second Belt
DBOT4 Turning the Screws

Mid Thursday (1pm start)
ESG03 Resistance at Paderborn
159 White Tigers
ITR17 The Devil's Factory
DB130 Tigers and Flames

PBS for these scenarios should get posted this week.
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am going to run an Operation Turnscrew mini for Saturday/Sunday for players out of the running for the title.

I ran a Gor-Gor Heretical mini last year.Similarly, it would be for Saturday/Sunday. Would anyone be interested if I ran it again?
Thanks,
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario love list is close, but I want to make some adjustments from the new AP pack from ASLOK. I will probably post a new list on October 17th. Apologies for the delay.

Match ups will get going around October 20th.
Cheers,
Steve

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario love list is close, but I want to make some adjustments from the new AP pack from ASLOK. I will probably post a new list on October 17th. Apologies for the delay.

Match ups will get going around October 20th.
Cheers,
Steve
looking forward to the scenario list so I can make my final decision......hope to be there this year.