"ALL" MF/MP

revaddict

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Certain terrain features and situations require the expenditure of "ALL" a unit's MF/MP. Does this mean that this unit may not expend any MF/MP prior to an expenditure that requires "ALL"?

(I know this is true in Assault Movement, but AM is specifically defined as a one-hex move.)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, if a move requires you to use "ALL" your MF/MP, then you cannot have spent any MF/MP prior to the expenditure that requires "ALL".

But on the other hand, your assault movement analogy is not correct. Assault Movement doesn't require "ALL" of a units MF, and extra MF can be spent prior to moving into the new hex (such as for infantry smoke placement) and after moving into the new hex (again, for infantry smoke, or weapons recovery). The only requirement is that a unit executing an Assault Move uses less than all its MF in moving the one hex.

So, for example, a squad with leader has 6MF and can Assault Move and spend 2MF to place smoke into an adjacent hex, and then spend 2MF to move into an adjacent building hex for 4MF total.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
revaddict said:
Does this mean that this unit may not expend any MF/MP prior to an expenditure that requires "ALL"?
Yes.

revaddict said:
(I know this is true in Assault Movement, but AM is specifically defined as a one-hex move.)
It is not true with Assault Movement (AM). AM states that it is a way to avoid FFNAM by moving only one location while not expending all the unit's MF. Within those limitations, a unit can spend as many MF as it likes in any order it likes.

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
revaddict said:
Certain terrain features and situations require the expenditure of "ALL" a unit's MF/MP. Does this mean that this unit may not expend any MF/MP prior to an expenditure that requires "ALL"?
Most of the time, this is correct. Note, however, that when it costs 'all' of a vehicles MPs to enter a hex, this includes a MP to start and to stop.

revaddict

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My mistake on the Assault Move reference.

Thanks for clearing that up though, especially on vehicles. This seems to make it especially tough to do an OVR against infantry in terrain that requires "ALL" MP, right?

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
revaddict said:
My mistake on the Assault Move reference.

Thanks for clearing that up though, especially on vehicles. This seems to make it especially tough to do an OVR against infantry in terrain that requires "ALL" MP, right?
ASLRB D2.7 said:
2.7 All MP/MF Expenditure: Any hex entry listed on the Terrain Chart as requiring ALL of a unit's movement capability (other than a Minimum Move which must end in Motion) still allows the unit any MP/MF necessary for starting (2.12), stopping (2.13), or towing (C10.1), but further movement is NA even if ESB or Gallop declared
Here's the rule reference I meant to make before, I didn't have it handy. OVR would be NA in terrain that takes 'all', IMHO. I'll try and track that down, but it's probably a COWTRA issue.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Georgii2222 said:
Here's the rule reference I meant to make before, I didn't have it handy. OVR would be NA in terrain that takes 'all', IMHO. I'll try and track that down, but it's probably a COWTRA issue.
I agree. OVR costs 1/4 + COT, so if COT is ALL, you have nothing left for the OVR. OVR is not listed in the list of things you can do (start, stop, tow).