Aliens vs. Predator -- who will win the war?

Who will win the war?

• Aliens

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Predator

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Humans

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ohhhh, why don't they make a movie entitled IL-2 Sturmovik with Tom Cruise as the pilot and Will Smith as the rear gunner.

Their pool of ideas is dry like that parched, cracked bottom of an ancient lake in New Mexico.

Last edited:

Priest

Reaction score
Hollywood, it would seem, is fresh out of fresh ideas. Not only are they recycling old TV shows, but, computer programs as well. I was wondering what was going to come after Tomb Raider.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
Hollywood, it would seem, is fresh out of fresh ideas. Not only are they recycling old TV shows, but, computer programs as well. I was wondering what was going to come after Tomb Raider.
Fine novelists haven't stopped writing, have they? There are so many phenomenals books that could be converted into a movie script and presto-you have an Academy Award winning picture.

Last edited:

BigDog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start. I don't know what makes these idiots in Hollywood think they are better than proven masters and go mucking about with great stories. I guess its their "vision" and all that other kaka.

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
It's Hollywood, so...of course humans are going to win...and probably on some plot technicality. I step in better stories on the Manhattan sidewalks.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Actually, Aliens vs. Predator was a major hit three times in the PC games category. There was also a highly successful comic book (limited series) and some books.

The second edition of the game was fairly good. It was scary at times and fun to play as both Alien and Predator. The fans have been clamoring for a movie for years, but 20th Century Fox refused. Now they have done it.

Will it be any good? I don't know but the trailer wasn't half bad. This one may be pure sci-fi whatever, but I'll bet it will be fun.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Summer Fun!

:alien: Cheesy Sci-fi is great summer fun! If they leave the hollywood hussies back on earth I will probably watch it!

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Humans of course, I mean don't they always win the fight in practically every sci-fi horror movie out there.

That said, I am looking forward to this movie though I am somewhat dissapointed that it wouldn't be based on the Dark Horse comic book series that came out over a decade ago.

Last edited:

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BigDog said:
Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start.
Have you heard of the CGI cartoon series Roughneck Chronicles, while it's not quite the same as the book, it's still considerably closer to it than the movie ever could be. At the least it featured the Skinnies, the troopers had powered armour that was actually looked like powered armour and not merely a helmet and vest like in the movie.

BigDog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I have seen some of those and will agree with your assesment. I know nothing of Aliens vs Predators as a game. Soeey mea culpa. Still I could name atleast 150 titles that if they stuck to the pages would be worth a damn. From Poe to King and that is still leaving out tons.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

10 years at least that I wait for this movie!

the comics series were just great (and source of a few roleplaying games in the good ole days...) and the story line in the comics was making sense... (predators using Aliens as rite of passage trials for their youngs... go hunt an Alien and you'll become a "Man"... cool idea)...

can0t wait to see the movie, which will of course be disappointing... but still...

RhondaBrwn

Reaction score
The CG Cycle Is About to Turn

BigDog said:
Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start. I don't know what makes these idiots in Hollywood think they are better than proven masters and go mucking about with great stories. I guess its their "vision" and all that other kaka.
I would vote for doing Asimov's "Foundation Series" personally. Doing "Starship Troopers" with any real relevance to the actual novel would be a great start though.

I have enjoyed the various versions of Frank Herbert's "Dune" that are out there though. They all follow the plotline though their artistic interpretations vary.

"Starship Troopers" was just such an embarrassment!

A big problem with computer graphics is that they start looking like something a kid does with a stamp pad kit... ooh.. look an F-18... look I just put two more in... ooh... let's fill the sky with them... stamp stamp stamp... (Independence Day).

Ooh... a scarey bug monster... let's put thousands of them in the scene... stamp stamp stamp.... (Starship Troopers)

Well, if one Agent Smith is a terrifying opponent... let's have hundred's of them... stamp stamp stamp (The Matrix Revolutions)

Intelligent robots? Hmm.... stamp stamp stamp... (well, I haven't seen "I-Robot" yet, but I've seen the previews. Judgement deferred for now.

My opinion is that we've about hit the limits. In "Troy" (which I hated) the thousand ships and masses of soldiers have become totally "ho-humm" - space epics with thousands of fighters flitting about - "ho humm" and so forth. It ultimately comes down to having good stories and deep, well developed characters that draw you into the story. Hollywood is probably on the edge of realizing that big budget special effects are no longer going to guarantee success at the box office. The novelty is gone, time to get back to real acting and plot develoment where computer graphics enhance the story without becoming its principle focus.

On the plus side though, the cheap CG effects have certainly enhanced the cheezy B and C grade Sci-Fi flicks (where you don't expect plot or acting anyway) :p

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On the flip side of that coin, computer generated graphics were used to great effect in Master and Commander. As usual, it all boils down to talent on the part of the director and his crew.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don Maddox said:
On the flip side of that coin, computer generated graphics were used to great effect in Master and Commander. As usual, it all boils down to talent on the part of the director and his crew.
And in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy which were awesome movies.:cool:

RhondaBrwn

Reaction score
Wait for the Clones

SoccerDJ said:
And in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy which were awesome movies.:cool:
Very true, but just watch out for the next dozen fantasy movies that will feature the same type of huge battle scenes. LOTR had a story, great characters, and acting which is the real reason for its success. The story drove the graphics rather than just being an excuse to have the graphics... and that is the difference between a great movie experience and a fiasco like [insert your favorite bomb here]

:cheeky:

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just saw "Arthur" - bad movie, but I'll watch anything that smacks of medieval or ancient history or fantasy or sci-fi. I think what's really needed in this genre (and this applies even to LOTR - which I thought were great movies) is a lot more realism in the battle scenes. I'm not talking about blood and gore but rather about the structure of the melees. It's my understanding that in ancient and medieval combat victory went to the side that held it's cohesion the best. In the movies EVERY SINGLE BATTLE devolves into a random melee with no discernable sides or lines. The battle scenes are just excuses to play dramatic seeming horse charges and such. I think you could make really dramatic battle scenes and keep a sense of some realistic flow of the battle. This same criticism applies to war movies and sci-fi battles too probably more so. Are there ANY movies out there that anyone would describe as having real seeming combat?

I think one of the things that I would like to see changed is a movie that rather than emphasizing complete confusion of battle gave the viewer some idea of the order and flow of the battle.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
From what ive seen of the trailers it looks like they actually got the period right at last.

What type of formation did they use? Double ranked shield walls?

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Temujin said:
What type of formation did they use? Double ranked shield walls?
Formation?, formation? We don't need no steenking formation. They actually made it out as if a few knights with some Pictish backup archers, battled it out with the entire Saxon army. The only time there was combat in formation was a totally contrived scene where the archers were picking off outside Saxons trying to get them to bunch up on some ice.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tiberius said:
Formation?, formation? We don't need no steenking formation. They actually made it out as if a few knights with some Pictish backup archers, battled it out with the entire Saxon army. The only time there was combat in formation was a totally contrived scene where the archers were picking off outside Saxons trying to get them to bunch up on some ice.
Oh well as i said at least the era was right.