Albany Part 4- DTF16 Panther Cull

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So to wrap up another great Albany tournament experience, I enjoyed every one my games and the camaraderie of a fine group of people. It was heartwarming to see so many longtime friends, especially those I haven't seen in a long time like Vic and Dr. Rob.
Thanks to Steve for organizing things and keeping everyone on track. A big thanks to Joe for handling some serious adversity from the hotel management and for making an awesome diorama. While I didn't win anything in the raffle for the first time (thanks to Steve's new and clearly malfunctioning raffle drawing app), there was some cool stuff in the raffle as always. Congrats to Bill on the win. I was psyched to win the 'Balls' award for highest winning PBS bid, I will display them (I mean it) with pride! Went 5-1 overall and took home the 4th place plaque.
For the final round I played my friend Jim Bishop who was visiting all the way from Germany. We picked Panther Cull DTF16. Since I played it once before I took the germans and suggested we give them three extra concealment plus downgrading the US 9-2 to a 9-1. This is a fun, short scenario where two panthers and six squads defend four buildings against six assorted brits AFVs (a 76LL challenger, three 75 Comets, one 94* comet, and a scout car) with a 9-2 AL, plus five riding 747 US squads. The Allies need four net VC points. They get 2 points for controlling each of four multi-hex stone buildings, three points per panther, and subtract one per AFV lost. Since the Allies can come in on three board edges the germans need to spread out across a 20-30 hex front. IMO the germans need to deny the allies an easy entry into the village, keep the panthers from getting swarmed, and should give up the forward factory without a fight. I think a winning approach for the allies is to take the factory with one or two squads but to focus everyone else on swarming one panther before they have the chance to pair up with some supporting infantry. Then they are very tough to approach.
Jim guessed exactly which two of my six big concealment counters were my panthers, but came on heavy in the center without pressing my panthers too directly. This allowed me to concentrate in the middle (pictured at start of allied turn 2) with lots of PF/Psk toting infantry supporting the panthers to make any 'dance of death' unpleasant. Jim struggled a bit on what to do next and didn't make much progress allied turns 2 and 3. Turns 4 and 5 he pushed hard for a rear building and pressed my tanks but both managed to go into motion (one getting sN smoke) making them very hard to hit. His infantry passed an 8(-2) shot only to fall to a 2(-2) shot. This is a fun, quick scenario with a lot of puzzle-like complexity.

Phil_Draper

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Really nice AAR Paul. I was looking at this scenario as I attempt to get back into ASL. It is on the Scandinavian Open list for 2022, and I was hoping to attend. Is there any restriction to prevent the German disabling the vehicles Main Armaments and recalling them late game if they look like the only chance for the Allies to cross a VP gap? Not suggesting this is the right thing to do (or morally valid!) just wondering if it is; a, legal or b, ever likely to be a possible end game option.

Cheers, Phil

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phil,
You sleazy man! I hadn't thought of that, not sure if Chris and Peter did. On the one hand it would be pretty tough to hold the key buildings if the germans do this early, but on the last turn or so it would be a nasty surprise. Also I'm not sure if a friendly board edge is in play, although it would seem obvious that it might be the one the allies can't use to enter. In any case a SSR prohibiting this might be in order.
Paul

Phil_Draper

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Phil,
You sleazy man! I hadn't thought of that, not sure if Chris and Peter did. On the one hand it would be pretty tough to hold the key buildings if the germans do this early, but on the last turn or so it would be a nasty surprise. Also I'm not sure if a friendly board edge is in play, although it would seem obvious that it might be the one the allies can't use to enter. In any case a SSR prohibiting this might be in order.
Paul
Paul, Thanks for the compliment! Chris and Peter's designs are usually so thoroughly tested that I would be surprised if it hadn't been considered but I guess it may take someone deeply morally compromised (me) to come up with something so low! Would be nice to hear their perspective, as you say I am not sure it is legal from a friendly board edge point of view. An SSR banning gun spiking might be tricky, I can see a German IFing like mad (on empty hexes if necessary) to try and malf or disable the MA and then going for repairs (which are mandatory under DtF SSRs) to force a recall. Gamey and not guaranteed but the kind of crap I might try and pull if a place in Albany was in the balance. Thanks again for all of your AARs, it is a genuine consolation for not being able to make it Albany, or other tournaments to get high quality game reports from the worlds top players, yours and JRs really stand out.
Phil

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Really nice AAR Paul. I was looking at this scenario as I attempt to get back into ASL. It is on the Scandinavian Open list for 2022, and I was hoping to attend. Is there any restriction to prevent the German disabling the vehicles Main Armaments and recalling them late game if they look like the only chance for the Allies to cross a VP gap? Not suggesting this is the right thing to do (or morally valid!) just wondering if it is; a, legal or b, ever likely to be a possible end game option.

Cheers, Phil
Very unlikely to work.....the two Panthers are certainly the backbone of the German defence, the German infantry struggle to hold off the combination of US Paras and smoke-belching British vehicles.

The playing area is relatively confined and the British tanks usually close in from multiple sides, so it is even unlikely the German player would be able to exit a Recalled vehicle without risking side/rear shots that would most likely kill them.

Plus - you would have to disable the MA during a fire phase, with a MPh left to go, so your last chance would be in the DFPh of Allied Turn 3....with the Allies moving last, this is very likely to cost you buildings or dead tanks.