Albany AAR - part 2 AP131, AP122 and SP263

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round 3 AP131 Crickets in Spring vs Paul Anderson
This is a very interesting scenario with 6 447 and three 76L ART guns reinforced turn 2 by 6 T34/85 and 6 628 vs 12 658 with three panthers and four HT with three reinforcing 150 SP guns. Mud contains off-road movement significantly. 36 buildings VP and CVP will determine the winner. I bid G1 and Paul bid R1 so we each eliminated one of the other's lmg's.

I attacked straight up the middle, anticipating guns (who have limited HIP/emplaced set up options) in L9, V8 and either N10, J9 or G1. RT1 I managed to make his HMG squad go berserk, freeing me of its threat for several turns. I managed to kill off 4 447's in the first three turns and break the ART crew in L9. Paul brought up his T34's in a wide arc across his defense. In GT3 I killed one with a bounding fire shot but lost a panther to APCR turret hit and had another shocked by an APCR hit. The key turn was RT3 (pictured)
Crickets RT3.jpg
when I recovered from my shock, Paul broke a MA, my fanatic 658 in I7 survived two 12+1 shots, two 85 mm HE hits and proceeded to break the adjacent 628 and faust the T34. The angry panther killed its offending T34. In RT4 the remaining T34 by that side bogged in the mud and the malt'ed T34 disabled its gun to be recalled. This left one mobile T34 vs two panthers. Paul had a strong central position but the lack of tank support allowed me to pick up more than half the VC buildings with 348's and I had a twenty point CVP advantage so Paul threw in the towel. I'd take either side as the T34/panther battle will likely determine the winner. The ART gun placement is also critical as the guns can hammer the 658s and HT's while limiting maneuver for the panthers. 2-1

Round 4 AP122 Mechanized Sacrifice vs Ketil Hogenhaug
I was happy to play Ketil who comes from Norway. I wanted to play Kazina clash but we ended up playing this one. I bid R0 and Ketil bid G0. My russians entered with the four 45L AC's at the front of the line, stopping and buttoning up after full road movement. The two MG AC's and 8 T26's stayed CE and in motion behind them. Ketil placed his 37L HT (9 TK, ROF 3) up on the level 2 hill hex (J5), with one Pz2 behind the elevated road and the other Pz2, AC and hs/atr in the center. Since four of his five AT assets had TK #'s of 6 or less, and there were no german AFV parked on the elevated road, I decide to just run the AC's off the board without stopping to fire. RT2 Keith's 37L missed it's 7 TH # with no rate, his one Pz2 missed while the other Pz2 and the AC both malfunctioned their MA's. This let me run the 6 AC's over the elevated road near the exit with the T26's moving into the center and stopping. One T26 had a bounding fire snakes to kill the central Pz2.
Mech Sacrifice GT2.jpg
GT2 (pictured) Ketil pivoted the 37L and killed one AC, he fixed the AC gun but didn't fix the Pz2 MA. When the AC started up it couldn't find smoke and I killed it and the 37L (in final fire). Then RT3 I just ran the five surviving AC's off the board for the win. The four reinforcing Pz3's never came into play. I'm not of fan of this scenario. 3-1

Since we finished early Ketil and I decided to play SP 263 Snova snare. This is a very cool scenario with lots of choices for both sides. I won't go into detail except to say I've lost this twice as the Germans and think its has a big learning curve for that side. I wanted to try a new approach as the Germans so we played with no balance. Ketil set up one squad on the open flank with the mortar and the rest on the board edge just in the victory area. The troops across the stream set up from the center to the edge near the two VC buildings initially russian controlled. The troops across the stream fought a tough delaying battle against my infantry entering there, effectively tying them and one Pz4 up all game before dying. I sent three squads and the 37L HT against the flank with the 447/mtr and killed it turn 4, tying them up as well all game. I sent one Pz4 directly across the stream on turn 2 (passing the woods and stream-exit bog checks). It dueled with the T70s, killing one before the other immobilized it and forced the crew to abandon. The T70 then moved over the the central battle where my Pz3 and two squads with MMG/LMG were trying to duel with Ketil's infantry from a far. I didn't want to risk AT mines in the bottleneck nor risk the Pz3 to the 76* gun. The Pz4 crew took both the rear russian buildings and the Pz3 fired smoke to cover the advance of the german infantry. Finally the russian gun popped up in support of its infantry, but its only HEAT round failed to kill the Pz3 who then assisted the german infantry in wiping out the russian infantry. Since the gun crew didn't count for the one VC condition, it had to try a suicide run for a VC building and didn't make it. A close and fun game! Definitely favors the russians unless the german player has played this a couple times IMHO. 3-1 tournament, 4-1 overall

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! Looks like someone took a chainsaw to the German counter on the hill. There's clippin' and then there's schwackin'