Albany AAR Part 1 Scythe and Chateau

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had an awesome time at Albany this year! Thanks to Steve and Joe for another great get-together. New hotel was a big improvement, although the lighting wasn't great. Very moving tribute for Gary Trezza. I was very excited to come home with the fantastic trophy, and yes I did bring it into school to show off to my students :), who even managed to pretend to be impressed. In the raffle I also won several Dispatches from the Bunker certificates for Vic Provost's excellent newsletter (although I get most of those anyway for playtesting).

I can't find my notes (found them! thread updated), so here are some brief AAR's from memory. I'll start from the end and work my way backward.

Round 6 Sunday AM - Chateau of Death ON-10 vs Phil Draper of UK/Norway
It was a pleasure to play Phil, who has a very cool job creating conflict simulations for NATO and came across the pond. This was a for-fun scenario as the tournament result had already been decided. We picked this scenario as mid-sized, without either of us knowing anything about it. Someone said it was pro-german, so I took the brits. The brits have 7.5 squads with two piats, a 50 mortar, and a MMG to defend a cluster of stone buildings from ten 548/447 with two marder, a MG HT, and an unarmored 20L(4) halftrack. The germans have covered approaches to both flanks and direct approach to the buildings are mostly through orchards. The brits get two carriers (one with 6 mg factors and a piat) as reinforcements turn 2, followed turn 4 by 3 armored cars (two with 37LL's/cannister and one with a 57L).

Phil started off with a smoke round from a marder on the main chateau, the other one failed to bring any. He ran his 548's straight in, two hexes from my troops in the building/behind the wall but I couldn't break any of them. He dismounted the hmg from the HT. Phil ran a platoon around each flank. He then advanced to the wall/adjacent to the building.

Start of German turn 2 prep fire.

Turn 2 Phil broke my 9-1/458/mmg stack in the lower floor of the chateau on a 16+3 and continued to move slowly around my flanks. He advanced troops into the wall compound. He brought up one Marder into the grain three hexes from the building, but in my prep the 248/piat on the first floor (who now had a nasty 548/lmg under him) got the 5 TH to nail it. We missed the reduced playing area so my carriers had to run a bit further, but on the road it worked out about the same. They stopped behind the wall. A squad of mine had WA there so the carriers then also had it. The carriers soaked up all of Phil's fire and stunned, but kept my guys across the road out of harm's way. I advanced a concealed 457 from the smoke into CC with the 548 in the building, got the ambush but missed my 1-2(-1) and Phil then rolled snakes to create a leader.

Turn 3 Phil brought up his other vehicles and kept prepping on the now +1 recovered carriers, however there was no effect. Since the carriers are always CE, they could shoot back and broke a couple germans. Phil advanced a 237 into CC with a 457 and I returned the favor by rolling a snakes to make my own leader. I also managed to immobilize the last Marder with my mortar.

The carriers then ran around to re-dm some units before burning to ATMM and PF. The burning though really saved me as now Phil's 20 and 30 column IFT shots across the road were +6 and usually NE. I managed to turn back both flanking platoons. Finally my AC's came on to seal the win. The carriers were the heroes, and their sacrifice won the scenario. In hindsight for balance, I'd say take away the MG HT.

Rules re-learning: Carriers/HTs in-hex with infantry can fire group, but also have Mandatory FG restrictions; if two squads are in CC and roll a snakes in a combined attack, the best unit's drm is used.

Round 5 Saturday PM HazMo 28 Righteous Red Scythe vs Michael Hastrup-Leth of Denmark
I was happy to play Michael for the tournament championship. He is a very positive and super-friendly guy and an excellent ASL player. We've had some great games in past years. My phone was recharging and Michael took some photos, so hopefully he can add his comments and some pictures.
Michael Hastrup-Leth

We both had this scenario as our first choice and had played it once. I probably won it on the bid though, I bid Rumanian 3 and Michael bid Rum 2. He took away the reinforcement 8-1 AL and added a very needed 8-0.

This scenario has about 17 458/447/527 Russians with only three leaders (four in our case due to the bids) with a HMG/MMG and 50 mtr attacking across a dry gully into a woods line. They get a nasty set of Turn 2 reinforcements of a platoon of 3 T34/41's (no radios for another two months) and three 628 AE/sappers with a 9-2, hero and FT. About 6 hexes back is a small village. There is also a cluster of 4 buildings on the defender's right. The gully turns backwards in the mid-board so the defender's right is separated by that. It makes the right side more accessible to the attacker but the 4 VC and mid-board gully's backwards turn limits the payoff of a breakthrough on that flank. Prior to the defense set-up, the Russians get to place a trailbreak in the woods line to help get their tanks across (and also infantry since no wire/mines can be in that hex). Given only 6 turns to take 10 building hexes, the Russians need to break through the defenses and get into the rear middle/left of the defense quickly. It's a challenge as the platoon movement and grain=brush SSR means that, best case, the tanks are entering the woods line turn 3. The trailbreak is actually mostly irrelevant to the tanks as during turn 2 the tanks (with some good pre-planning of movement) can line up in the gully next to the woods in a few spots and then use ALL movement to enter the woods. Being low ground pressure there will only be a +1 to bog due to snow. There are also hexes you can overstack next to the trail break, but a crafty defender can put hidden wire behind the trailbreak to limit this approach. Of course, if you do bog and roll Yahtzee on the platoon random selection, you're screwed :eek:.

The Rumanians have 11 447 squads, an 81 mortar, 3 HIP MMC (not SE's), two MMG's, and two leaders. They also get a roadblock (which in my opinion must block the bridge over the gully in the middle of the defense), two wire, 4 trenches, and two 6 factor AP mines. The wire and the trenches are only revealed upon entry. One squad is an AE but I forgot about that during play so never used its extra CCV/smoke grenade capability.

The VC allow an immediate Rumanian win if they take a building/trench in the Russian setup area or exit a squad up the middle. It's only an endgame threat once the Russians are forward in the VC village, but it forces the Russians to keep some units on both flanks. Also by SSR the Russians can't human wave turn 1.

The Russians have snow camo, which allows them to assault move/advance across the road and into the gully on the left flank. To me that side is the real danger, so I set up the wire in the A hex row. I put the other wire on the other side's board edge hex since Michael put the trailbreak on that flank. I put a pair of dummy concealment on the pair of mines on the left flank. I had a squad/lmg HIP on the left board edge, the 9-1/447/MMG behind the roadblock (noting WA on the HIP note), and (again due to Miachel's placement of the trailbreak on my right) the 80/447/MMG in the right-middle where the firelane could cover the right or middle. I put both the big and little mortar in the center. I had a line of 447's in the other hexes with mostly 247's on the right flank. I kept the DC on the right too near the trailbreak, in case Michael got frisky with his tanks/riders on turn 2.

Michael setup about 4 squads and the MMG on my right flank to prevent the immediate win and also to pin down my troops there. He had his 9-1/458/HMG stack in the trench on the hill overlay, which is conveniently able to see most of the woods line at a range of 12 or less except the bridge hex and the far-right hexes. He had two squads in the center. The rest of his troops were concealed across the road on my left.

Turn 1 prep Michael unleashed a rain of fire form his little mortar and HMG. Both rolled 3-4 ROF to kill an initially concealed squad in the B hexrow, de-man the little mortar, and eliminate one of the dummy stacks. Seeing the far left had no un-HIP squads he ran a 527 into the gully, only to break from the HIP 447/lmg. That squad was later gunned down when it tried to surrender :devilish:. My big mortar and both MMG shots/fire lanes did squat. That turn was the beginning of a great streak of good dice for Michael and terrible dice for me. The only good luck I had was both my leaders survived 3-4 wound checks each, that's how lousy my luck was.

RumT1 My mortar failed to bring smoke to screen the HMG, then a 4 flat shot broke a central Russian squad. The rest of my troops skulked except a mysterious stack on my left (the dummies in the minefield) who stayed put in the treeline. Michael graciously allowed me to skulk my 8-0/MMG stack on the right when I forgot to do so. His HMG then broke my mortar crew and the squad in its hex, and he eliminated the suspicious dummies. I ran the 9-1/MMG stack over to my left and sent a couple squads from my right moving towards the central stream (it took them a few turns to get over there). I set up a line of units one hex behind the woods line to discourage a non-assault move jump up to the woods line in RussianT2 (5 MP's to do so due to the ground snow).

Russian turn 2 Michael's now-enhanced karma resulted in him getting another ROF streak against my 8-0/MMG stack, breaking the squad and wounding the leader. He used a nice approach on my left of moving the stacks into crest status, then advancing the concealed units into the woodsline. Unfortunately, in 2 of the three hexes he did that he found mines, ELR'ing one 527 to a 426. The other one was fine but lost concealment. Michael brought his tanks in the middle right up to the now unmanned center of my line. My lmg firelane from a right side defender managed to knock off his 9-2 and one 628, but they came right back for his turn 3. He also advanced a now-CX 527 across the gully next to the bridge to dm the crew and a halfsquad and complicate my repositioning. I also revealed a trench in that hex. I misplaced two trenches in the paved road so never put them on board. In hindsight no trench should go next to the gully to avoid giving the Russians an easy path across the gully (entry of a woods/trench from a lower level during snow would only be (one or?) two MF, not 5). Probably best to put the trenches on the right or in the rear.

In Rumanian turn 2 I ELR'd the other minefield 527 (both wouldn't return to the game) and managed to rally the crew under DM. The crew pinned the 527 and advanced into CC/melee with it to tie up the middle. My 9-1/447/MMG advanced back into the woods line out of LOS of the HMG stack to keep the Russians from bum-rushing across the central gully turn 3.

However Russian turn 3 went poorly for me with Michael's entire force moving up/advancing without loss into the woods/next to the roadblock and my 9-1 breaking/wounding 447 reducing/elr'ing. He advanced a stack of 8-0/two squads on to the wire in the A hexrow. The 9-2/628 and squads on my right began to move up towards the right flank.

In Rumanian turn 3 my reinforcements came in, with the Pz4 (my only decent anti-tank unit) taking a central spot on the woods-road in the middle. One PZ3/75* (without HEAT or AP) moved on the elevated road with a LOS to the central woods-road while the other moved into the brush in the middle adjacent to the central woods-road. I advanced a 447 next to the first road hex on my side of the gully. In CC Michael easily cleared the roadblock (a 9-1, hero and two 628 sapper squads needing an 11).

Russian turn 4 was a pivotal turn, on my left it was a disaster as a non-AMing 527 moved next to my 447/lmg but my 12-1/6-1 failed to break it and his return fire 20+2 snakes KIA'd the squad. In addition, the 8-0 and friends rolled three 1's to move right under the wire with no problem. On my right the 9-2/628 and friends started to push back my units and re-dm my wounded leader. In the middle, the first T34 rolled up to my 447 stopped and the MG's rolled snakes to K/ it. The hs passed its 2MC, but then the MA rolled snakes and a 1 followed by snakes to KIA it. Fortunately I passed the subsequent 3MC personal morale check. I did ask Michael to change his dice though, saying that I knew he wasn't cheating and his dice were fine, but just was asking for my personal morale o_O. However, in hindsight I did limit Michael's forward movement to only a couple hexes that turn, and despite my losses (by game end I think 75% of my units were dead/ELR'd) he hadn't taken a VC location yet. My right side Pz3 went into motion as the second-hex T34 was in LOS.

Rumanian turn 4 my right flank Pz3 moved up to challenge his 9-2 and the other moved to the left flank. I advanced my last leader into the woods-road next to the PZ4 to avoid the upcoming D-fire of a T34 in that hex.

Russian turn 5 was the decisive turn. Despite my infantry continuing to be ineffective/cut down mercilessly, my Pz4 saved the day. The T34 platoon moved forward and (at 1 hex distance, before he could enter my hex) I fired an APCR shot (+3 to hit) and got my last round with a 4. Fortunately APCR has good penetration, so my 11 TK roll still destroyed (TK 20+3) the tank through its hull armor (11). The next tank entered that hex and I hit the hull on my IF shot (+3 TH) and managed to immobilize it (18 vs 11) (crew staying put). That allowed the last tank to enter my hex, but due to platoon move restrictions it couldn't scoot past me and shoot me in the butt. The immobilzed T-34 could only fire at the 7-0 in its hex. The 7-0 also soaked up the last shot of the FT, elr-ing in the process.

In Rumanian turn 5 I hit the tank in my hex (+0 TH as it took the acquisition with it) in the rear to destroy but not burn it (18 vs 5) and then in IF killed the immobilized tank to my front (+0 TH) with a low TK roll through the hull (18 vs 11).

My infantry was in tatters (only one GO squad in my center/left), but I was able to setup a line of broken units (6+1, 137's, 336, etc...) mostly two hexes away from the Russians, with two tanks to provide some backbone. Russian turn 6 Michael couldn't blast a hole through the brokies. On the right his 9-2 with two squads ended up breaking on a 16 flat 1 MC. If they had passed and gotten ambush, Michael might have had enough VC hexes to win. I think he ended up with 6 hexes of the required 10. With another turn, he could have taken the entire board.

An excellent and fun scenario with a very classy opponent. I was happy to pass multiple PMC's. A very fun scenario but IMO the Russians need help. With average players I'd say add another turn, with expert players I'd say take away a wire and add a Russian 8-0.

Rules (re-)learning: Snow camo gives a -1 to concealment gain dr's.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had an awesome time at Albany this year! Thanks to Steve and Joe for another great get-together. New hotel was a big improvement, although the lighting wasn't great. Very moving tribute for Gary Trezza. I was very excited to come home with the fantastic trophy, and yes I did bring it into school to show off to my students :), who even managed to pretend to be impressed. In the raffle I also won several Dispatches from the Bunker certificates for Vic Provost's excellent newsletter (although I get most of those anyway for playtesting).
View attachment 23591View attachment 23592View attachment 23593

I can't find my notes (found them! thread updated), so here are some brief AAR's from memory. I'll start from the end and work my way backward.

It was a pleasure to play Phil, who has a very cool job creating conflict simulations for NATO and came across the pond. This was a for-fun scenario as the tournament result had already been decided. We picked this scenario as mid-sized, without either of us knowing anything about it. Someone said it was pro-german, so I took the brits. The brits have 7.5 squads with two piats, a 50 mortar, and a MMG to defend a cluster of stone buildings from ten 548/447 with two marder, a MG HT, and an unarmored 20L(4) halftrack. The germans have covered approaches to both flanks and direct approach to the buildings are mostly through orchards. The brits get two carriers (one with 6 mg factors and a piat) as reinforcements turn 2, followed turn 4 by 3 armored cars (two with 37LL's/cannister and one with a 57L).

Phil started off with a smoke round from a marder on the main chateau, the other one failed to bring any. He ran his 548's straight in, two hexes from my troops in the building/behind the wall but I couldn't break any of them. He dismounted the hmg from the HT. Phil ran a platoon around each flank. He then advanced to the wall/adjacent to the building.

View attachment 23594

Turn 2 Phil broke my 9-1/458/mmg stack in the lower floor of the chateau on a 16+3 and continued to move slowly around my flanks. He advanced troops into the wall compound. He brought up one Marder into the grain three hexes from the building, but in my prep the 248/piat on the first floor (who now had a nasty 548/lmg under him) got the 5 TH to nail it. We missed the reduced playing area so my carriers had to run a bit further, but on the road it worked out about the same. They stopped behind the wall. A squad of mine had WA there so the carriers then also had it. The carriers soaked up all of Phil's fire and stunned, but kept my guys across the road out of harm's way. I advanced a concealed 457 from the smoke into CC with the 548 in the building, got the ambush but missed my 1-2(-1) and Phil then rolled snakes to create a leader.

Turn 3 Phil brought up his other vehicles and kept prepping on the now +1 recovered carriers, however there was no effect. Since the carriers are always CE, they could shoot back and broke a couple germans. Phil advanced a 237 into CC with a 457 and I returned the favor by rolling a snakes to make my own leader. I also managed to immobilize the last Marder with my mortar.

The carriers then ran around to re-dm some units before burning to ATMM and PF. The burning though really saved me as now Phil's 20 and 30 column IFT shots across the road were +6 and usually NE. I managed to turn back both flanking platoons. Finally my AC's came on to seal the win. The carriers were the heroes, and their sacrifice won the scenario. In hindsight for balance, I'd say take away the MG HT.

Rules re-learning: Carriers/HTs in-hex with infantry can fire group, but also have Mandatory FG restrictions; if two squads are in CC and roll a snakes in a combined attack, the best unit's drm is used.

Round 5 Saturday PM HazMo 28 Righteous Red Scythe vs Michael Hastrup-Leth of Denmark
I was happy to play Michael for the tournament championship. He is a very positive and super-friendly guy and an excellent ASL player. We've had some great games in past years. My phone was recharging and Michael took some photos, so hopefully he can add his comments and some pictures.
View attachment 23595
Michael Hastrup-Leth

We both had this scenario as our first choice and had played it once. I probably won it on the bid though, I bid Rumanian 3 and Michael bid Rum 2. He took away the reinforcement 8-1 AL and added a very needed 8-0.

This scenario has about 17 458/447/527 Russians with only three leaders (four in our case due to the bids) with a HMG/MMG and 50 mtr attacking across a dry gully into a woods line. They get a nasty set of Turn 2 reinforcements of a platoon of 3 T34/41's (no radios for another two months) and three 628 AE/sappers with a 9-2, hero and FT. About 6 hexes back is a small village. There is also a cluster of 4 buildings on the defender's right. The gully turns backwards in the mid-board so the defender's right is separated by that. It makes the right side more accessible to the attacker but the 4 VC and mid-board gully's backwards turn limits the payoff of a breakthrough on that flank. Prior to the defense set-up, the Russians get to place a trailbreak in the woods line to help get their tanks across (and also infantry since no wire/mines can be in that hex). Given only 6 turns to take 10 building hexes, the Russians need to break through the defenses and get into the rear middle/left of the defense quickly. It's a challenge as the platoon movement and grain=brush SSR means that, best case, the tanks are entering the woods line turn 3. The trailbreak is actually mostly irrelevant to the tanks as during turn 2 the tanks (with some good pre-planning of movement) can line up in the gully next to the woods in a few spots and then use ALL movement to enter the woods. Being low ground pressure there will only be a +1 to bog due to snow. There are also hexes you can overstack next to the trail break, but a crafty defender can put hidden wire behind the trailbreak to limit this approach. Of course, if you do bog and roll Yahtzee on the platoon random selection, you're screwed :eek:.

The Rumanians have 11 447 squads, an 81 mortar, 3 HIP MMC (not SE's), two MMG's, and two leaders. They also get a roadblock (which in my opinion must block the bridge over the gully in the middle of the defense), two wire, 4 trenches, and two 6 factor AP mines. The wire and the trenches are only revealed upon entry. One squad is an AE but I forgot about that during play so never used its extra CCV/smoke grenade capability.

The VC allow an immediate Rumanian win if they take a building/trench in the Russian setup area or exit a squad up the middle. It's only an endgame threat once the Russians are forward in the VC village, but it forces the Russians to keep some units on both flanks. Also by SSR the Russians can't human wave turn 1.

The Russians have snow camo, which allows them to assault move/advance across the road and into the gully on the left flank. To me that side is the real danger, so I set up the wire in the A hex row. I put the other wire on the other side's board edge hex since Michael put the trailbreak on that flank. I put a pair of dummy concealment on the pair of mines on the left flank. I had a squad/lmg HIP on the left board edge, the 9-1/447/MMG behind the roadblock (noting WA on the HIP note), and (again due to Miachel's placement of the trailbreak on my right) the 80/447/MMG in the right-middle where the firelane could cover the right or middle. I put both the big and little mortar in the center. I had a line of 447's in the other hexes with mostly 247's on the right flank. I kept the DC on the right too near the trailbreak, in case Michael got frisky with his tanks/riders on turn 2.

Michael setup about 4 squads and the MMG on my right flank to prevent the immediate win and also to pin down my troops there. He had his 9-1/458/HMG stack in the trench on the hill overlay, which is conveniently able to see most of the woods line at a range of 12 or less except the bridge hex and the far-right hexes. He had two squads in the center. The rest of his troops were concealed across the road on my left.

Turn 1 prep Michael unleashed a rain of fire form his little mortar and HMG. Both rolled 3-4 ROF to kill an initially concealed squad in the B hexrow, de-man the little mortar, and eliminate one of the dummy stacks. Seeing the far left had no un-HIP squads he ran a 527 into the gully, only to break from the HIP 447/lmg. That squad was later gunned down when it tried to surrender :devilish:. My big mortar and both MMG shots/fire lanes did squat. That turn was the beginning of a great streak of good dice for Michael and terrible dice for me. The only good luck I had was both my leaders survived 3-4 wound checks each, that's how lousy my luck was.

RumT1 My mortar failed to bring smoke to screen the HMG, then a 4 flat shot broke a central Russian squad. The rest of my troops skulked except a mysterious stack on my left (the dummies in the minefield) who stayed put in the treeline. Michael graciously allowed me to skulk my 8-0/MMG stack on the right when I forgot to do so. His HMG then broke my mortar crew and the squad in its hex, and he eliminated the suspicious dummies. I ran the 9-1/MMG stack over to my left and sent a couple squads from my right moving towards the central stream (it took them a few turns to get over there). I set up a line of units one hex behind the woods line to discourage a non-assault move jump up to the woods line in RussianT2 (5 MP's to do so due to the ground snow).

Russian turn 2 Michael's now-enhanced karma resulted in him getting another ROF streak against my 8-0/MMG stack, breaking the squad and wounding the leader. He used a nice approach on my left of moving the stacks into crest status, then advancing the concealed units into the woodsline. Unfortunately, in 2 of the three hexes he did that he found mines, ELR'ing one 527 to a 426. The other one was fine but lost concealment. Michael brought his tanks in the middle right up to the now unmanned center of my line. My lmg firelane from a right side defender managed to knock off his 9-2 and one 628, but they came right back for his turn 3. He also advanced a now-CX 527 across the gully next to the bridge to dm the crew and a halfsquad and complicate my repositioning. I also revealed a trench in that hex. I misplaced two trenches in the paved road so never put them on board. In hindsight no trench should go next to the gully to avoid giving the Russians an easy path across the gully (entry of a woods/trench from a lower level during snow would only be (one or?) two MF, not 5). Probably best to put the trenches on the right or in the rear.

In Rumanian turn 2 I ELR'd the other minefield 527 (both wouldn't return to the game) and managed to rally the crew under DM. The crew pinned the 527 and advanced into CC/melee with it to tie up the middle. My 9-1/447/MMG advanced back into the woods line out of LOS of the HMG stack to keep the Russians from bum-rushing across the central gully turn 3.

However Russian turn 3 went poorly for me with Michael's entire force moving up/advancing without loss into the woods/next to the roadblock and my 9-1 breaking/wounding 447 reducing/elr'ing. He advanced a stack of 8-0/two squads on to the wire in the A hexrow. The 9-2/628 and squads on my right began to move up towards the right flank.

In Rumanian turn 3 my reinforcements came in, with the Pz4 (my only decent anti-tank unit) taking a central spot on the woods-road in the middle. One PZ3/75* (without HEAT or AP) moved on the elevated road with a LOS to the central woods-road while the other moved into the brush in the middle adjacent to the central woods-road. I advanced a 447 next to the first road hex on my side of the gully. In CC Michael easily cleared the roadblock (a 9-1, hero and two 628 sapper squads needing an 11).

Russian turn 4 was a pivotal turn, on my left it was a disaster as a non-AMing 527 moved next to my 447/lmg but my 12-1/6-1 failed to break it and his return fire 20+2 snakes KIA'd the squad. In addition, the 8-0 and friends rolled three 1's to move right under the wire with no problem. On my right the 9-2/628 and friends started to push back my units and re-dm my wounded leader. In the middle, the first T34 rolled up to my 447 stopped and the MG's rolled snakes to K/ it. The hs passed its 2MC, but then the MA rolled snakes and a 1 followed by snakes to KIA it. Fortunately I passed the subsequent 3MC personal morale check. I did ask Michael to change his dice though, saying that I knew he wasn't cheating and his dice were fine, but just was asking for my personal morale o_O. However, in hindsight I did limit Michael's forward movement to only a couple hexes that turn, and despite my losses (by game end I think 75% of my units were dead/ELR'd) he hadn't taken a VC location yet. My right side Pz3 went into motion as the second-hex T34 was in LOS.

Rumanian turn 4 my right flank Pz3 moved up to challenge his 9-2 and the other moved to the left flank. I advanced my last leader into the woods-road next to the PZ4 to avoid the upcoming D-fire of a T34 in that hex.

Russian turn 5 was the decisive turn. Despite my infantry continuing to be ineffective/cut down mercilessly, my Pz4 saved the day. The T34 platoon moved forward and (at 1 hex distance, before he could enter my hex) I fired an APCR shot (+3 to hit) and got my last round with a 4. Fortunately APCR has good penetration, so my 11 TK roll still destroyed (TK 20+3) the tank through its hull armor (11). The next tank entered that hex and I hit the hull on my IF shot (+3 TH) and managed to immobilize it (18 vs 11) (crew staying put). That allowed the last tank to enter my hex, but due to platoon move restrictions it couldn't scoot past me and shoot me in the butt. The immobilzed T-34 could only fire at the 7-0 in its hex. The 7-0 also soaked up the last shot of the FT, elr-ing in the process.

In Rumanian turn 5 I hit the tank in my hex (+0 TH as it took the acquisition with it) in the rear to destroy but not burn it (18 vs 5) and then in IF killed the immobilized tank to my front (+0 TH) with a low TK roll through the hull (18 vs 11).

My infantry was in tatters (only one GO squad in my center/left), but I was able to setup a line of broken units (6+1, 137's, 336, etc...) mostly two hexes away from the Russians, with two tanks to provide some backbone. Russian turn 6 Michael couldn't blast a hole through the brokies. On the right his 9-2 with two squads ended up breaking on a 16 flat 1 MC. If they had passed and gotten ambush, Michael might have had enough VC hexes to win. I think he ended up with 6 hexes of the required 10. With another turn, he could have taken the entire board.

An excellent and fun scenario with a very classy opponent. I was happy to pass multiple PMC's. A very fun scenario but IMO the Russians need help. With average players I'd say add another turn, with expert players I'd say take away a wire and add a Russian 8-0.

Nice AAR.

BTW he would only be able to enter the trench directly from the gully if he "controlled" the trench. At least the 1st guy would have to expend the additional MF to enter the hex above the trench to control the location. The MF into the trench from the gully once friendly controlled would still be 3MF (2MF gaining elevation normally not having to pay for entry into the woods and 1MF for snow-E3.723- as they are still gaining elevation).

Congratulations by the way. 👍

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR as usual.

Playtested the scenario and enjoyed it a couple of playtests.

I was surprised at the attention given the defender's right with only four buildings. A playtest concern was that the defender could allocate 1.5 squads, a lmg and use the central mortars to seal off the attackers on the four building side.

Had the tank battle gone differently, Katie bar the door as the PZIV's companion AFVs are weak.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 23591View attachment 23592View attachment 23593

View attachment 23594

View attachment 23595
Michael Hastrup-Leth

Recap: I was losing, then I was losing even more, then I was losing so bad that I asked my opponent to change his dice, lost some more, then I won. Lol

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
In the 4 first Gameturns I had the wind in the back, and it was blowing hard :) Paul played an excellent game, pushing halfsquads and wounded leaders in my way, staying in the game - saving time for the PzIV to load its last APCR round :)
When discussing the scenario after we finnished, we agreed that I should have moved forward down the road with the T34 Platoon in turn 4. If I had traded 1 for 1 or even 1 for 2, then the remaining T34 would have had time to deal with the PzIII 75* also.

B.Lizt

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Nice AAR. But are you sure the last tank couldn´t pass by your PzIV.
D14.22 (GAPS) states: «If an AFV is destroyed, Recalled, uses non-platoon movement (14.23) or becomes Immobile, it is no longer considered part of the platoon.»
And the last sentence says: «If only one AFV is remaining, it is free from platoon restrictions for the remainder of its current MPh»
Don´t know if that would apply here…

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the overlay in E2 with the stack in it? Guessing X8 thru X10?

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B.Lizt- You make a good point on the platoon being broken once the 2nd tank immobilized. I think the third tank, after moving down the road past/through the dead tank and immobilized tank, and then into my hex used up the tank's 2nd to last MP. Of course, Michael could have risked ESB to gain the one or two MP to go another hex behind me and stop.

hoxson1- The overlay is a one-hex level one hill - H1, IIRC.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR. But are you sure the last tank couldn´t pass by your PzIV.
D14.22 (GAPS) states: «If an AFV is destroyed, Recalled, uses non-platoon movement (14.23) or becomes Immobile, it is no longer considered part of the platoon.»
And the last sentence says: «If only one AFV is remaining, it is free from platoon restrictions for the remainder of its current MPh»
Don´t know if that would apply here…
It's a one-hex, Level-1 Hill.