Airplane LOS and Buildings.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have let my ally read and interpret the airpower rules. He is usually good with rules, but Steve and I think that he is wrong about airplanes LOS being blocked by buildings. if there is a LOS obstruction caused by a building is it affected by the height of the building? Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We can understand if there is a one hex obstruction for an airplane LOS to a unit directly behind a building. That sounds reasonable. My ally seems to think that there is more than one hex obstruction created by a building, but this does not seem logical to us. Tim

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello. E 7.25 seems to me very clear but I’m no rules guru.

“All Aerial units are considered to be at sufficient elevation to reduce the number of Blind Hexes created by any full-level-or-higher LOS Obstacle to one hex, and to reduce any non-cliff Crest Line Blind hexes to zero if there is ≤ 1 level elevation difference (see B10.23), and to see INTO any Depression barring other LOS obstacles. To an Aerial viewer, the Blind Hex created by bocage is the hex formed by the bocage hexside. LV Hindrances (Mist; 3.32) also apply to Aerial LOS, as per the Aerial Range (E.5)”

Just one blind hex

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a logical follow through on this question: If an airplane sights a unit in a building and hits that building and the next four hexes, does the MG attack the unit. Or units in the blind hex hex behind the building? My ally argues yes because in the case of woods a hex struck out of LOS by an aircraft after a successful sighting on a hex next to the woods hexes, the plane attacks the whole four hex path regardless of the LOS issues. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a logical follow through on this question: If an airplane sights a unit in a building and hits that building and the next four hexes, does the MG attack the unit. Or units in the blind hex hex behind the building? My ally argues yes because in the case of woods a hex struck out of LOS by an aircraft after a successful sighting on a hex next to the woods hexes, the plane attacks the whole four hex path regardless of the LOS issues. Tim

No unit in a blind hex/location will be hit. See the E7.3 EX regarding hexes K8 and K10. The plane will attack all of the four hexes that are not blind on a strafing run, then will complete the strafing run by moving through the last hex it attacked to receive light AA. There are some cases where some locations will be attacked and others not, for instance if K8 in the E7.3 EX contained a building with a ground and a first level.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, JR, I think that this is the example which Don found ambiguous. It's always good to clarify. I have very little experience with airplanes. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So my allies's example of where that an airplane attacks a unit on the edge of the woods but attacks along a line in those woods despite the lack of LOS is not strictly analogous. The difference being that behind a building is blocking the effect of the MG. He asked me to confirm this. Seems obvious to me. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So my allies's example of where that an airplane attacks a unit on the edge of the woods but attacks along a line in those woods despite the lack of LOS is not strictly analogous.
What is this EX? In the rulebook? The same principles apply to woods as to buildings in ASL. See the first E7.62 EX. A plane attacks G6 and H5 then can attack neither I5 nor J4 due to woods making the hexes blind.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My ally must have misread a former statement on the Forum from you. The former Squad Leader guru maybe entering his dotage. Although it was always my lawyer who was the rules guru on his former team. Tim