Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is the meaning of the one or two on a dr?
You roll a TH DR, then an IFT DR.

ATT can be chosen for about the same reasons as it would for direct fire - avoiding to compute the TEM in the TH DRM being one of the main reasons (except that a Gun could choose it to acquire the hex, which an aircraft cannot).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What are the advantages of using area target type rather than the standard attack while using fighter bombers? A much greater chance of hitting?
On a non-aircraft attack, the ATT attacks both vehicle and infantry. This isn't often an advantage but sometimes it might be. Aircraft already attack both infantry and vehicles, so they don't gain here. ATT on non-aircraft attacks allow acquisition gain, which aircraft don't care about. ATT attacks multiple Locations, but aircraft already attack multiple Locations in a building, meaning that ATT is only useful to aircraft for this reason if there are multiple Locations in a hex due to something besides a building, e.g. pillbox, bridge. Finally ATT redistributes the DRM, putting TEM on the effects DR instead of the TH DR. In some circumstances this can make an impossible attack into an unlikely attack. For instance a Stuka bomb attack (200mm bomb) cannot hit a target in a stone pillbox (+7 TEM) using the ITT, but can hit it and affect it (effects DR two or three) using the ATT. The ATT is probably most useful for aircraft when using napalm.

There was only one Soviet fighter bomber in the last game, and I simply watched for my first time the application of the rules concerning bombing. First, the Rumanian units had to be targeted in the wooded foxhole. After that succesful dice roll, the unit was not hit because the attacker did not roll a one or a two on a die roll. The bomb therefore went astray. Did we follow the correct procedure.
I don't understand why you made a single dr to roll a one or two. Is that a SSR? There's nothing in the standard rules I can think of that would require a subsequent dr of 1-2.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I am really not sure of that die roll. I had left Don in charge of reading and interpreting the air rules. No, it is not an SSR. Simply his misinterpretation of the air rules. Good to know that it is an error to be sure. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just had short phone call with my ally. He admitted that we had done the bombing entirely wrong. He simply forgot to inform me. Lucky me. He had transposed two different air charts. At least he is rereading my rules over and over again section by section. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You should purchase a rulebook for yourself (the pocket version is p.o.d., which means that it should always be available), so that you don't rely upon your opponent's rather frequently erroneous applications of the rules.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don should buy his own rules for sure. Give mine back. He has agreed to buy another copy of the campaign game to loan it to Col. Smith. Maybe if he reads this thread he will buy a copy of the rules. Spend some of those millions. Who knows. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I may add that I am nearly blind as a bat. Fourty years of reading microfilm. No pocket edition for my eyes. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I may add that I am nearly blind as a bat. Fourty years of reading microfilm. No pocket edition for my eyes. Tim
Ouch.
Already with aging eyes, small print is a pain, but if you have diminished eyesight in addition, I understand that reading the pocket rulebook is not the way to go.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our group would almost certainly pay for larger counters and hexes. My imaginary ally has the mansion and dedicated room for any size game. He wants to play Fire in the East and its succesor games to 1944 one more time after he retires and before we are dead. Tim