Airborne armored gun jeeps

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just flicking through "I'm the 82nd Airborne" and there are numerous pictures of what they describe as 'armored gun jeeps' in use by the 82nd Recon section

I have never seen anything like those before (they're basically jeeps with armored plate all over them armed with .50 cal machine guns) but they sure would be cool in a scenario (if the info is there)

I'm guessing there isn't a counter to represent those though, wonder if MMP would listen if I asked?:rolleyes:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR #3: Treat the US Jeep (vehicle note 54) as a Carrier (D6.8ff) with passenger PP of 4, Front and Side armor of 0 and unarmored RCA. Despite being a Carrier, only one SMC rider is allowed.

EDIT: does the PP capacity of a Jeep go down when it is Armed, since it has a crew, or does it stay at 9PP? I thought it went down, but VASL shows them at 9PP and I don't see it in the notes.

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
that might work right enough, just wish there were counters to cover it though as it looks like a really
cool vehicle

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I'd recommend lowering the total MP, too. Say from 37 to 33 (10% slower). Probably didn't affect speed that much, but cramped acceleration.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
right enough, it's not going to be going very fast with all that extra weight so you're spot on there

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seen a few of these types of GI engineered modifications in bone yards in my early career. I doubt if the really offered much more protection (if any) than anything from a .30-cal or 7.92mm round or perhaps stray shrapnel, but it was probably a little better than a khaki shirt and load bearing webbing.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Seen a few of these types of GI engineered modifications in bone yards in my early career. I doubt if the really offered much more protection (if any) than anything from a .30-cal or 7.92mm round or perhaps stray shrapnel, but it was probably a little better than a khaki shirt and load bearing webbing.
got you, so more giving a 'feeling' of protection than anything else, still they look like they would stop a fair bit

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like a .30cal not a .50cal. Maybe 2 will show up in the rare vehicles module whenever that shows up. Maybe in a future Bulge Airborne historical module. It's a cool vehicle so don't lose hope.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like a .30cal not a .50cal. Maybe 2 will show up in the rare vehicles module whenever that shows up. Maybe in a future Bulge Airborne historical module. It's a cool vehicle so don't lose hope.
Are you sure that is .30cal? It looks like a .50cal to me.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep! Single pistol grip trigger, notthe twin grip with butterfly trigger. .30cal

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see that, I see a 'butterfly' grip. Also, the bore of that gun is significant.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Bendizoid, I was looking at the museum picture just above in the link. The photo at the beginning of this thread IS a .50cal. I had to zoom to 300 to m see the butterfly grip under the soldiers arm. Maybe they used both.?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool little force, two armored jeeps each with a .50cal and a 1/2 squad, plus a leader or two.