Air Staff Assistant

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi,

What does enabling the air staff assistant do? I've looked thorugh the manual and the in game help topics, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
it sets all modes aircraft operate in for you [air superiorit, interdiction, combat support] and plans attacks.....this is a big nono since the artificial idiot just hits airbases

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It seems the Air Staff Assistant in PBEM play is set by player one? Under advanced options. As player two in a PBEM game, I need to manually change that setting every turn, setting it to Off. The Ignore losses, Airfield attack is not my standing order of assignment for the fighter squadrons...

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dicke Bertha said:
It seems the Air Staff Assistant in PBEM play is set by player one? Under advanced options. As player two in a PBEM game, I need to manually change that setting every turn, setting it to Off. The Ignore losses, Airfield attack is not my standing order of assignment for the fighter squadrons...
Yes, if Pl 1 enables the air assistent its also automatically enabled for player two, ... quite annoying because usually the air assistent settings are really dumb and you should always disable the assistent and plan the attacks yourself.

Foggy

Reaction score
Does the game automatically start with ASA on? This might be why I was driving Raver crazy during certain scens :nuts:

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As far as I know, once you have set the air assistant off, it stays off for all subsequent scenarios.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Nemo, yes, this seems reasonable, since I have only seen it once in PBEM, as player two.

If so, are there other settings (as player one, or as default in ACOW) that could affect PBEM play 'negatively'?

Ah, darn, how I long for that sticky thread with 'TOAW basics and musts'! Or in the HQ section (WestPointer! ;))

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Most obvious off the top of my head :

1. playing in standard vs advanced mode
  2. probably all the 'Advanced Game Options' settings
For the latter point, while some settings may be of less consequence in terms of game play (Detailed Combat Reports for instance even if they are very useful), others, like Command and Control, Fog of War, Active Disengagement could have a dramatic effect on the unfolding of the scenario.
Some TOAW guru here could give you abundant and clear-cut information on this.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
He, good reply, I thank you for it, and the thread starter, since it brings topics up I never thought of.

'Command and control' I remember being some stuff about delegating HQ services down. Unchecked!
??? Not important, or is anyone using this?

'Fog of war' is a given, realism, checked.

What the heck is 'active disengagement'? Checked. Make it harder to disengage?

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Dicke Bertha said:
He, good reply, I thank you for it, and the thread starter, since it brings topics up I never thought of.

'Command and control' I remember being some stuff about delegating HQ services down. Unchecked!
??? Not important, or is anyone using this?

'Fog of war' is a given, realism, checked.

What the heck is 'active disengagement'? Checked. Make it harder to disengage?
From (failing) memory :

• Command and Control : if it is off, you will never experience the joys of formations reorganizing
  • Active Disengagement : if unchecked (i.e. 'off') your units will always be able to disengage without penalty, hence you will never have the &#~@$!\ message 'Unit XYZ is engaged' and have it in reoganization while you were trying to put it out of the front line
Last minute! - see manual, p. 9 for a confirmation