Air Cav gone wild!

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Air Cav going on suicide charges

I would apreciate if anyone can explain to me this strange behavior (this is my first game):

NTC1 scenario, turn 2, E/1-1 CAV (helo) are set to reconaissance with a waypoint short of the ennemy lines (halfway between PL Dwarf and PL dagger). They spot the Red scouts and engage. I have a bunch of NAI and a TAI beyond the ennemy lines.

Case 1 : the last waypoint is an order to orbit
The unit charge straight into the Red's position and move west until destroyed or surrendered.

Case 2: A waypoint is added back toward friendly lines. E/1-1Cav attack until out of ammo and then fly straight east until it gets off map (the only thing I can see is half of the footprint circle).

Why is this unit alway straying way off the path like this? How can I make sure that they don't go into a suicide charges like that?

Cheers,

C.

Last edited:

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just for completion in case another newcomer wonders. I didn't get to understand why the air cav was drifting out of it path until it got destroyed, but this doens't happen when you plot a landing zone in the rear of your own lines. Also, air units retreat to a pixel or two outside the viewing window of the map, so when they dissapear, the only way to get them back is by using the + and - button.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a bug in the retreat code for helicopters. Make sure you have the latest patch (I don't know if it is fixed in that patch.)

ALWAYS put in a node for flying back home, for all air units - they will land at the last waypoint! :)