AGS Hungarian Campaign (Wyatt's Soviet AAR) [COMPLETE]

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As I'm sure you can see by Silvain's own thread having been posted, we've decided to knock each other silly yet again, this time with a slightly modified version of Trey Marshall's AGS Hungarian Campaign. In here you'll find the Soviet view of the situation.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Preamble

Not having anything really to go by as far as historical maps or plans, I pretty well had to start from scratch by assessing my own strength/weakness, that of the Germans, what I wanted to accomplish, and what I needed to accomplish for the victory.

Deciding not to put too much thought into it, I decided that I would put as priority 1 the advance north and, therefore, encirclement of GE 7th (I think) Armee. To this end I would simply throw everything into an advance up the east bank of the Tisza till I reached, and blocked, the most northerly bridge over it, taking advantage of any chances to cross the Tisza that should arise.
53 Army I’d leave to bash its head against the defenders of the bridge at Szentes to see if they could capture it. Should they manage to have any success they’d be followed up by 2 Guards Mech Corps, which would be left to rest at Lipova until needed.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn 1

10/6-8/44 T1
228 RD broke through the Hungarian troops before it, advancing to within 30km of Szolnok.
The line from the Tisza to 20km east of Mezotur was pretty-well smashed. From there to Oradea held up better. Lastly, east of Oradea the line was also pretty-well smashed.
Having now opened up some holes in the front, I expect better progress next half-week.
53 Army began attacks against the bridge at Szentes. These went poorly and the HU 1st PzD quickly joined the defences.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
10/9-12/44 T2

10/9-12/44 T2
The German line is a shambles, not even really much of a line anymore.
Two Rgts of GE 23rd PzD were destroyed.
Soviet troops took Oradea, Karcag, and Torokszentmiklos.
With the 5 GU Tank Corps at the gates of Debrecen, there remains a chance that I could still cut off GE 7th Armee.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: AGS Hungarian Campaign (Wyatt's Soviet AAR)

10/13-15/44 T3
GE 76th ID and GE 31st SS GrenDiv were destroyed near Oradea.
Another intact bridge was captured east of Eger.
Substantial forces are now past Debrecen, with many near Nyiregyhaza.
The 4th Guards MC Rgt advanced to and secured Kisvarda, sealing off the GE 7th Armee.
22 Tnk Corps was stuck reorganizing itself in Oradea.
5 Gds Tnk Corps took Debrecen, clearing out the HU 2nd Armee’s Headquarter’s troops.
The last Rgt of the GE 23rd PzD surrendered west of Oradea.
Attempts to cross the bridge into Szolnok were rebuffed by well dug-in Hungarian troops, including the entire HU 7th Res ID.
The GE 46th ID was destroyed south of Torokzentmiklos.
A GE PzD has been found to be guarding the crossing northwest of Karcag.
Soviet tanks managed to push aside the HU 23rd Res ID and cross the most southern bridge over the Tisza River!

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

10/16-19/44 T4
HU 16th ID surrendered northeast of Oradea.
Axis positions on the Mures R from Alba Iulia to Reghin were abandoned as Axis troops retreated towards Cluj. Romanian troops were quick to follow up, but did not engage, as it is planned to let these Axis units wither on the vine now that they have been cut off from supply. Three Hungarian and one German Division are known to be in the Cluj area.
A partially rejuvenated 2 Guards Mechanized Corps has been sent to assist with the crossing in the extreme south, as GE SS Polizei has arrived to bolster the Axis defences there.
6 Guards Tank Army (9 guards Mech Corps and 5 Guards Tank Corps0 has been directed to assist with the crossing at Szolnok, as this appears to be a weak area where a bridgehead may be obtained.
SO 40 Army has broken through the Hungarian defences in the northern Carpathian pass and are making best speed for Mukaceve.
Early turn end prevents the final push to get across the Tisza in more numbers.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

T5
At least 10 Axis divisions, including a Hungarian Armoured and SS Cav, remain trapped, with no hope of escape, in the Carpathian mounains area.

The 59 and 109 Guards RDs combined to be enough hitting power to force the 4 SS Polizei PzGrD to retreat and HU 23 Res Div to surrender, opening the way for further advances in the exteme south.
9 Guards Mech Corps, supported by 25 Guards RD and 228 RD, took Szolnok, creating the second bridgehead over the Tisza River, and this one only 100km from Budapest.
7 Mech Corps, supported by 10 Guards Airborne Div, foced back the German defenders and created a third bridgehead, this one west of Eger.

GE 15th ID, trapped on the far side of the Somes River, surrendered to RU 6 Corps forces.
HU 2 PzD, surrounded near Meteszalka, surrendered to 6 Guards Tank Army forces.

No screenie, as playing from my lappy (which doesn't have my prefered methods).

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
T6 10/23/44

T6 10/23/44
A draw has been acheived!

One German PzD arrived at both the Nyiregyhaza (13 FHH2 PzD) and Eger (24 PzD) bridgeheads, pushing Soviet forces back over the Tisza.

Soviet forces are acros the Donau River at Baja and Mohacs!
HU 8 Res ID, guarding the Szeged crossing, was destroyed by 109 Guards RD.
4 SS PzGrD continues to be pushed back by Soviet forces (59 and 109 Guards RDs) as they took Subotica from the SS this week.
Gorshkov Cav Group (23 Tnk Corps) has been transferred to the Sozolnok bridgehead.

Soviet forces took Mukaceve.
HU 3, 9, 25, and 26 IDs surrendered in the pocket at Zalau, leaving only the SS Floria Geyer Kav Div in the pocket.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
T7 10/27/44

Disaster as with 80% of my turn left it ended with an early turn ending!

A major German counter-attack, including the FHH PzD, managed to throw the 5 Guards Tank Corps back into Sozolnok and cut off the 9 Guards Mech Corps. Soviet troops (110Guard RD),meanwhile, rush to take the Axis defenders from the rear.
The early turn ending here leaves little hope that the 9 Guards Mech Corps will survive the next few days...

Soviet scouts captured Kaposvar, south of Lake Balaton.

The majority of the forces engaged in the Carpatians have been released as the SS Florian Geyer finally surrendered.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
T8 10/30/44

T8 10/30/44
Miraculously the 9 Guards Mech Corps managed to survive as the Axis forces in the area faled to press their advantage.
At the Nyiregyhaza bridgehead the 13 FHH2 PzD withdrew to Gyongyos, likely on its way to Budapest.
At Szentes, the Hungarian forces blocking the crossing, including HU 1 PzD, withdrew west, to Kecskemet.
4 Guards Mech Corps has arrived at Szentes, with orders to join the drive on Budapest.

The Romanian 4 Army has been ordered to cross the Tisza at Szentes and the Donau at Dunajvaros, driving west and northwest from there.
46 Army (33, 35, 37, and 51 Rifle Corps) has been ordered to cross the Tiza at Szentes and the Donau at Dunajvaros, driving north (on Budapest) and northwest fom there.

The unrepaired bridge at Nyiregyhaza is severely hampering the advnace there.

The last of GE 6 Armee ( 3 and 4 Mountain Divs) has surrendered.

In combat against FHH PzD, the 9 Guards Mech Corps managed to evaporate.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/3-5/44 T9

11/3-5/44 T9
With a confused battle developing east of Budapest between the Donau and Tisza Rivers and the opportunity to destroy German PzDs, priority was given to encircling and destroying Axis units this past half-week, rather than on advancing forward. The advance had gone about as far forward as it safely could without reinforcement, anyways.
RU II Corps has crossed the Tisza. RU VI Corps is crossing the Tisza, being given orders to turn south, towards Kiskunhalas, to assist the SO 49 and 59 GdsRDs in destroying the GE 4 SS.

Near Miskolic GE 8 JgrDiv continues to hold its ground while the Hungarian ID in the area fell back.
East of Eger, GE 24 PzD is showing severe signs of battle after constant attacks by SO 6 and 10 GdsArbDivs.

Near Sozolnok, GE FHH PzD has been severely mauled, and has a good chance of beign destroyed in the next few days (as well as HU 5 and 7 ResIDs with it).
Dug in about halfway between Budapest and Sozolnok, with Soviet troops north and south of it, GE 13 FHH2 PzD is showing weakness, but was not seriously attacked these last few days.
Soviet scouts are now west of Budapest. Soviet tanks have taken Szekesfehervar.
West of Lecskemet, HU 1st PzD was destroyed, and HU 1st KavDiv all but destroyed, with total destruction likely to follow in the next few days.

Near Kiskunhalas, GE 4 SS continues to be pushed back by SO 49 and 59 GdsRDs.
Major reinforcements from 4 Ukraine Front are expected to come from Yugoslavia in the next few days.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/6-9/44 T10

11/6-9/44 T10
RU 4 Army has received orders to withdraw.
SO 57 and 4 Guards Armies has arrived south of Subotica.

Soviet forces have taken Miskolc.
GE 24 PzD, guarding the Donau crossing west of Eger, continues to be badly mauled by attacking Soviet troops.
In battles against GE 13 (FHH2) PzD, 23 Guards Tank Corps evaporated. Later in the half week, GE 13 (FHH2) PzD surrendered, with almost 100 tanks!
Northwest of Szolnok, HU 5 and 7 Res IDs surrendered. Later in the half week, GE FHH PzD surrendered, with over 100 tanks!
Therefore, the last of the resistance directly west of Budapest has been eliminated, leaving the troops free to advance on, and capture, the Hungarian capital.

SO 4 Guards Tank Corps has gone round behind Budapest, taking Erg.
GE 4 SS Polizei finally evaporated.
SO 64 Rifle Corps has been tasked with advancing west. 52 RD has retaken Kaposvar.

I'm sure there's some pics in Silvain's thread...:D

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/10/44 T11

11/10/44 T11
West of Eger GE 8 JgrDiv surrendered.
The attack on Budapst began with Buapest southeast being taken by X Guards RD and Budaest southwest being taken by 4 Guards Mech Corps.

East of Szekszard, Handschar SS GebigsDiv surrendered after being cut-of threee days ago.
68 Rifle Corps has joined 64 Rifle Corps on their advance beyond Kaposvar, where GE 118 JgrDiv has been encountered.

Early turn end leaves Budapest still mostly under Axis control, 4 Guards Mech Corps out of supply, and GE 24 PzD still unsubdued.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/10-12/44 T11
The Axis commander has decided to overly strengthen the south approach to Budapest, placing both the Brandenburg PzGrnDiv and 1 PzD there. This represents a terrible mismanagement of what are likely currently his most powerful units.
-------------------------------------------

27 and 40 Armies continued to advance to the northeast and north of Budapest, with the objective of reaching the bridges at Levice before the Axis can blow them up, saw lead elements reach as far as Ziar.
GE 24 PzD was mauled further as it made a stand in Gyongyos.
-------------------------------------------

While 57 Army drives in behind Budapest, the bulk of 2 Ukraine Front (6 Guards Tank Army, 7 Guards Army, 46 Army, and 53 Army) will attack Budapest head on, taking the important supply dumps there and destroying the encircled defenders of the city.
Budapest centre was assaulted, but remained in Axis hands (mostly due to the turn burn mentioned below).
2 Guards Mech Corps has retaken Erg.
In the Szekesfehervar area, 21 Guards Rifle and 74 Rifle Corps have joined 57 Army elements already in the area (31 Guards Rifle Corps), with the plan of driving north, west of Budapest to trap the Axis defenders of the city.
****! An attack by40 Guards Rifle Division against a single German HQ ate the last 70% of my turn. ROUGH!
---------------------------------------------

Southwest of Lake Balaton, where the chief resistance is GE 1 GebDiv and 118 JgrDiv, 20 Guards Rifle and 68 Rifle Corps have joined 64 Rifle Corps to give 4 Guards Army enough punch to defeat these two German divisions and advance north and northwest.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/13-16/44 T13

11/13-16/44 T13

27 and 40 Armies were beaten to Levice, but the Axis forces were evicted from their defensive positions, so there is still the chance that they could be captured intact.
-----------------------------------------

GE 24 PzD again broke out of its restraints, retreating east, towards Budapest.
Budapest north was taken by 28 Guards Rifle Div.
Budapest northwest was taken by 12 Guards Cav Div.
Budapest southwest was taken by 4 Guards Mech Corps.
A single, broken Hungarian infantry Regiment remains in Budapest centre.
57 Army forces have captured Komarno, almost sealing Budapest off from supply; only the bridge at Esztergom remains to bring supply to the embattled city.
If the Axis do not move carefully, their entire force near Budapest could be cut off from supply.
------------------------------------------

Veszprem was taken by 4 Guards Rifle Div.
Nagykanizsa was taken as the surrounded GE 1 Geb Div surrendered to 20 Guards Corps forces.
A marginal victory has been obtained.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/17-19/44 T14

11/17-19/44 T14
A Soviet division is as far west as Gyor, and Soviet reccon troops are 50km west of that.
Ziar was taken by 10 Gds CavDiv.
One of two bridges at Levice were captured intact. Soviet tanks and troops then flooded across, taking Nitra, and the two bridges at Salla. A GE SS PzGrnD has entered the theatre north of Trnava, though, giving rise to fear of a serious counter-attack.
HU 27 ID finally surrendered west of Eger.
The first attack on Budapest burned 60% of my turn. Budapest has been captured!
The GE 24 PzD, cut-off from surrounded and cut off from supply east of Budapest, finally surrendered, with almost 100 German tanks being captured.
On the banks of the Donau, south of Budapest, GE 1 PzD and Brandenburg PzGrnD surrendered to Soviet forces totalling 6 infantry divisions and SO 2 Gds Mech Corps! Over 200 German tanks were captured or destroyed!
1 RUM Armee has arrived in the south.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

game over... so now I can come to admire Veers's nice graphic AAR

next up... Fun In The Jungle!!! Burma Campaign 1942-1945

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

As I was very excited to begin our next game, Burma 42-45 (Sam Mudd), Silvain graciously threw in the towel so we could move on to the jungle.
Thanks, Silvain!

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece

Thanks for the AAR! Despite having no previous knowledge of historic plans, it seems you followed the historic route of cutting off 8.Armee.