"Age of Tanks" documentary

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Came across this on Netflix streaming and watched the first two episodes out of 4. Very well done.

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I learned was Germany, after losing WW1, wanted to get around the restrictions on their weapon development so they made an agreement with Russia to build a tank factory way out in the Ural Mountains. Designed their panzers and tested them out way from prying eyes. The Russians got the technical know-how which led to their BT tank development. And we all know what happened later.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Came across this on Netflix streaming and watched the first two episodes out of 4. Very well done.
Not really. It had good parts to it but there was an awful lot of summarising history in a kind of "a boy's first book of tanks" kind of way. The WW2 history was particularly egregious -- they seem to have cribbed all of the history from Guderian's memoirs, for instance, leading to a lot of bias. Their "history" of pre-war tank design in Russia was laughable. The WW1 episode with its focus on the history of French tank design was welcome in the sense that we don't often see that kind of focus -- but then they really glossed over the role of British tank design.

There's only so much you can expect from a show devoting so little time to such a complex topic -- and they did a better job at matching historical footage to what was being discussed than other similar shows have done -- but overall I'd give it a solid "meh".

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Their "history" of pre-war tank design in Russia was laughable. The WW1 episode with its focus on the history of French tank design was welcome in the sense that we don't often see that kind of focus -- but then they really glossed over the role of British tank design.
I don't know if I'd agree there. I'd say the French FT-17* was the forerunner of every tank of the 20th century and gets a lot less press than it should compared to the British tanks, which were important in WWI but an evolutionary dead end.

*I once killed a PzIV with an FT-17. One for the bucket list for sure.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Still waiting to see "Tank Wars" where they put the:

Leopard 2A7
K2 Black Panther
M1A2 SEP
Challenger 2
Merkava Mk.4 Meil Ruach
Armata
Type 90
LeClerc

Up against each other, platoons of 3, league he and away then semis and finals, night league a separate competition.

The audience would be vast!
Might even outrate Girls und Panzer