AFV up to a hill by road CE

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A fully tracked AFV spends 2 MP+DOT when moving up to a hill by road. Does it matter if the crew is CE or BU in order to consider DOT? i.e. if the hill is Open Ground and the AFV goes CE, the movement cost is 2+1 MP or 2+0.5 MP?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A fully tracked AFV spends 2 MP+DOT when moving up to a hill by road. Does it matter if the crew is CE or BU in order to consider DOT? i.e. if the hill is Open Ground and the AFV goes CE, the movement cost is 2+1 MP or 2+0.5 MP?
It matters whether the AFV is CE or BU. "DOT" means add the normal cost for the terrain, plus two MP for gain of elevation per note H on the Chapter B Terrain Chart. The normal cost for an AFV using road movement rate would be ½ MP for a CE AFV and one MP for a BU AFV, but that cost could also be affected by SMOKE, wrecks/vehicles, wire, etc.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
B10.4 vehicular cost is 4 + COT except when using road when it's 2 + COT.
D2.16 Road Rate: The 1/2 MP rate for a motorised vehicle crossing a road hexside is doubled to one if the vehicle is a BU (D5.2) AFV.

B10.4 makes the elevation change extra 2 when using a road but does not specify CE/BU status. D2.16 only doubles the 1/2 MP cost of a road but says nothing about elevation change.

So AFV up a hill on a road:
CE: 1/2 + 2 = 2.5
BU: 1 + 2 = 3

I have been doing that wrong often enough, using BU to negate both the road rate and elevation penalty halving when I should only negate the road rate halving.