AFV Smoke Dispenser and Start

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This is similar to a question just asked by GeorgeBates, but came up in my morning logfile.

Situation: An AFV attempts a Smoke Dispenser as his first activity of the MPh. The attempt fails, so zero MPs spent so far.

Question: Has the player committed that vehicle to complete its MPh? Or can he move on to other units and return later to move the AFV?

No biggie, really - and my guess was that an act not taken is no action at all. Still, thought it worth the Forum's opinion.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Each unit in the MPh must complete its MPh before other units begin their Mph, with obvious exceptions like Platoon Movement and Human Wave/Banzai. The AFV in your example has begun its MPH. I think some people confuse this with a unit in the PFPh who attempts SMOKE placement and fails without Malfunction occurring. You can attempt to have another unit fire SMOKE before deciding to Prep the first one normally, not at all, or move him in the MPh.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This makes sense to me. It just seemed worth a question since in this case the AFV is considered to have not had an opportunity to fire smoke at all.

In the meantime, I'll await my opponent's next logfile. We're halfway through his MPh... I don't know if he intends to move the AFV later anyway.:waiting:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
...since in this case the AFV is considered to have not had an opportunity to fire smoke at all.
I believe that it had the opportunity, it was just unsuccessful in utilizing that opportunity.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
This is why with a vehicle you may want to look around the board to see if any other units could provide covering smoke for the it (either as Prep Fire , sM or infantry smoke grenades) from a less vulnerable position than that of the vehicle wanting to move. That vehicle's smoke capability may be kept as backup or, if it escapes it's present position, it may "pay forward" to another unit that needs smoke for its escape. Another friendly vehicle with sD/sN/sP could also pass between an enemy firer and the escaping vehicle to provide an assist with less exposure.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This makes sense to me. It just seemed worth a question since in this case the AFV is considered to have not had an opportunity to fire smoke at all.

In the meantime, I'll await my opponent's next logfile. We're halfway through his MPh... I don't know if he intends to move the AFV later anyway.:waiting:
Guess not! looked at length for a definitive on this. but will certainly buy off on Volga's response-seems logical.