AFV Rider in a building at setup.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its been a long time since I played the PB CG - why is it important to have the AFV in a woods or building? Best LOS to a British landing hex?
Not Landing hex since the AFVs are in Le Port, on the west side of the bridge. All units in Le Port must set up in or adjacent to a building. There are some woods have a few southward towards the bridge and school area. If the Ox and Bucks venture close enough to get an AFV out of No Move, all of the AFVs would be allowed to move too (by SSR). Having a Rider on top would be a bonus as the AFV could drive off and drop him off some where. :)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What he plans is probably to set up a vehicle with Riders in a Building for added protection at start and/or for saving some MP to bypass that Building would he set up anywhere else.

As the rule is written, he is neither entering nor moving through a hex. Thus I would tend to allow it.

EDIT:
I revise my opinion stated above after reading the argument of @Juzek below:

A2.9 "a unit...may not set up in a hex it cannot enter in the normal course of play."
D6.21 "Riders are not allowed when moving through a woods ... building..."

As Riders would not be able to enter a building in the normal course of play, the conclusion is indeed that they may not set up as Riders in a building.

von Marwitz
The Unit can enter the building...just not AS riders.
Ya left out the important stuff....." D 6.21 ...Should any AFV enter/exit such terrain with Riders, the Riders must Bail Out in the last hex occupied prior to that prohibited terrain. "

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Unit can enter the building...just not AS riders.
Ya left out the important stuff....." D 6.21 ...Should any AFV enter/exit such terrain with Riders, the Riders must Bail Out in the last hex occupied prior to that prohibited terrain. "
What version of the rules are you looking at? Mine, from 2000 say nothing about exiting:

Should any AFV enter such terrain with Riders.... (emphasis mine).

Which is why I thought it might be legal for Riders to load while an AFV is in building or woods and then the AFV exists such terrain, etc, etc.

I am pretty sure I am up to date on my MMP products but I may have to check their site for errata on this.

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What version of the rules are you looking at? Mine, from 2000 say nothing about exiting:

Should any AFV enter such terrain with Riders.... (emphasis mine).

Which is why I thought it might be legal for Riders to load while an AFV is in building or woods and then the AFV exists such terrain, etc, etc.

I am pretty sure I am up to date on my MMP products but I may have to check their site for errata on this.
From the March 27 2020 Perry Sez file:
D6.21
Can an AFV in a building hex with squad, load that squad as a rider and then move out of that hex? Can an AFV set up in a
building with a squad as a rider?
A. An AFV can set up with riders and can load riders, but it cannot leave the building hex with riders other than per the usual
exceptions (e.g., via a road or vehicle-sized entrance within a factory).
[See errata from ASL Journal 11

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There we go, problem solved. As was said on the McClaughlin Group: Next issue!!! :)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

No problem here...
Missing errata is the key issue.
Something that MMP hopefully will SOLVE with eASLRB or something similar.

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recognize and accept the limits of a reality argument as applied to a rules question, but its funny to me to envision a squad leader telling his unit climb on to an AFV before it crashes out of a building, with walls and ceilings collapsing around them. I think the squad would express some doubts about the wisdom of that plan.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I recognize and accept the limits of a reality argument as applied to a rules question, but its funny to me to envision a squad leader telling his unit climb on to an AFV before it crashes out of a building, with walls and ceilings collapsing around them. I think the squad would express some doubts about the wisdom of that plan.
Well, we all know soldiers aren't the top dog...
Why else would we have "scraping your soldiers off the tank" rules when entering orchards/buildings, etc.