AFV Platoon Motion Attempt?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I could not discover the answer to this in the rules, but that is not to say it isn't in there!

A 2-AFV platoon exists. At the start of the enemy MPh an enemy squad is only initially in the LOS of one of them. The enemy squad moves next to the one that did not have LOS. Can this move trigger a Motion Attempt dr by the AFV who had no initial LOS, hence possibly granting Motion to the other AFV who did have LOS as well? Or can the Motion Attempt not be triggered because (at least) one member of the platoon initially saw them from the start of the enemy MPh?

Thanks (a rule reference would be helpful as I couldn't find it)!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My guess is that only one AFV need qualify to make a motion attempt, but remember the dr is modified by a + drm to the number of AFV in the platoon.

14.211 MOTION ATTEMPT: If a platoon wishes to make a Motion attempt during the enemy MPh (2.401), the enemy unit triggering that attempt need have expended MF/MP in the LOS of only one AFV in that platoon; one Motion Attempt dr suffices for the entire platoon, but it is subject to a drm equal to the number of AFV in that platoon.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
My guess is that only one AFV need qualify to make a motion attempt, but remember the dr is modified by a + drm to the number of AFV in the platoon.
This was my guess as well. Having already noted the +2 drm, I rolled for it. It was a '1' (cumulative '3'), which was <= the 3MF the squad spent assault moving in rubble next to it. If it was anything but a '1', I would have noted it for future investigation and moved on. It was the '1' that brought me here mid-game.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since it is the entire platoon that is making the Motion Attempt, I am thinking they must all fulfill the D2.401 requirement:
"The enemy unit must be one that had not been in the vehicle’s LOS during that Player Turn prior to entering it during that MPh."

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it is the entire platoon that is making the Motion Attempt, I am thinking they must all fulfill the D2.401 requirement:
"The enemy unit must be one that had not been in the vehicle’s LOS during that Player Turn prior to entering it during that MPh."
That is incorrect as per D14.211 "...the enemy unit triggering that attempt need have expended MF/MP in the LOS of only one AFV in that platoon;...".

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. I also think you're also being penalized for being a platoon with the + drm. Making every member of the platoon satisfy any condition would be penalizing them twice.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That is incorrect as per D14.211 "...the enemy unit triggering that attempt need have expended MF/MP in the LOS of only one AFV in that platoon;...".
This is true, but I don't think it answers the question. The question is whether an enemy unit which starts in LOS of one member of the platoon can trigger a Motion Attempt in another member of the platoon.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe that answers the question quite well. If the rule allows a single AFV of that platoon to make the Motion attempt predicated upon the MF/MP spent in its LOS, the previous status of the enemy unit (in LOS of other members of the platoon) has no bearing upon the matter. In other words COWTRA and do not add additional criteria that are not stipulated in the rule itself. JMHO.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A 2-AFV platoon exists. At the start of the enemy MPh, an enemy squad is only initially in the LOS of one of them. The enemy squad moves next to the one that did not have LOS.

A. Can this move trigger a Motion Attempt dr by the AFV who had no initial LOS, hence possibly granting Motion to the other AFV who did have LOS as well? (With the appropriate +drm platoon size modifier)

B. Or can the Motion Attempt not be triggered because (at least) one member of the platoon initially saw them from the start of the enemy MPh?

Answer A.

....Perry

MMP

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
A 2-AFV platoon exists. At the start of the enemy MPh, an enemy squad is only initially in the LOS of one of them. The enemy squad moves next to the one that did not have LOS.

A. Can this move trigger a Motion Attempt dr by the AFV who had no initial LOS, hence possibly granting Motion to the other AFV who did have LOS as well? (With the appropriate +drm platoon size modifier)

B. Or can the Motion Attempt not be triggered because (at least) one member of the platoon initially saw them from the start of the enemy MPh?

Answer A.

....Perry

MMP
Encouraging to see someone post to the PerrySez section appropriately.

:)