AFV MGs and Melee

Shmitty008

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an immobilized AFV holding two squads in melee. Can I use my AFV CMGs in the Prep fire phase? Do I get TPBF? Do they use the case E DRM for firing in hex?

Thanks.

Jake

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
You can use your vehicles machine guns with TPBF but Ordnance must use Case E (+2 same hex firer). I believe the BMG can used in Prep/Def Fire Phases. The limitation of only using CMG/AAMG is only for CC.

See D3.5. The RMG/AAMG/CMG and IFE from MA of 15mm or less can be fired "again" in CC but not the BMG. All MGs/IFE can be fired for multiple overruns as well.

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MGs get TPBF. They do not have to hit the target, so no case E. It is deadly to move into CC with an AFV with significant MG ...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I believe the BMG can used in Prep/Def Fire Phases. The limitation of only using CMG/AAMG is only for CC.
Can't use the BMG if the vehicle is Immobilized.

D8.5:
"...However, after the phase (A.15) in which it becomes thusly Immobile, its bow mounted weapon(s) may be used against a target in that vehicle’s hex only during Defensive First Fire (thus its BMG is unusable in CC), only if the target is entering that hex from within the vehicle’s VCA,..."

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If the AFV is Immob when in Bypass, do CMG pay an additional +1 IFT DRM (in addition to normal Case A DRM for any CA change) due to the enlarged CA, as per D2.321 and D3.52?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the AFV is Immob when in Bypass, do CMG pay an additional +1 IFT DRM (in addition to normal Case A DRM for any CA change) due to the enlarged CA, as per D2.321 and D3.52?
All turret mounted weapons pay the penalty unless the target was acquired.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In most cases, easy to avoid the CMG +1 penalty for VBM.

Just Acquire the target, then fire the CMG at the target without the +1 penalty.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
All turret mounted weapons pay the penalty unless the target was acquired.
You get the general idea but it's slightly different, strictly speaking, for CMG.

D2.321
A TCA based on a Bypass side Target Facing covers a potentially much larger Field of Fire (all hexes on that side of the firer between the front and rear Target Facings) and consequently must pay appropriate Case A (C5.1) penalties for firing within this enlarged CA even if it does not change its TCA [EXC: a weapon firing with an already earned Target Acquisition DRM (or, in the case of a CMG/IFE/Canister, vs the same Known target in the same Target Facing as last fired on) does not have to add Case A to fire within its current CA].

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You get the general idea but it's slightly different, strictly speaking, for CMG.

D2.321
A TCA based on a Bypass side Target Facing covers a potentially much larger Field of Fire (all hexes on that side of the firer between the front and rear Target Facings) and consequently must pay appropriate Case A (C5.1) penalties for firing within this enlarged CA even if it does not change its TCA [EXC: a weapon firing with an already earned Target Acquisition DRM (or, in the case of a CMG/IFE/Canister, vs the same Known target in the same Target Facing as last fired on) does not have to add Case A to fire within its current CA].
Just re-read this now. Thanks. I now see the subtle difference.

Using the OP's EX, provided the CMG continues to fire on the same Known target, Case A only applies to the first CMG shot. Moreover, if the CMG was also the MA and maintained ROF, the second and any subsequent shots would not be penalized by Case A provided the CMG continued to fire only at the same target. Correct?

Again using the OP's EX, presumably Case A would apply to any CMG shot vs the Location if it contained a concealed unit/a unit that was not in the Location when the initial CMG shot was taken. I don't think the CMG could ignore a same-hex target, and fire only on its previously "acquired" target (unless the target was using VBM out of LOS). Or may it?