AFV MG/IFE in AFPh

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An AFV does not fire in MPh, but fires MG/IFE in AFPh. If it is stopped, FP is 1/2; but what if it stayed in Motion? 1/4? Not Allowed?

3.5 mentions the Bounding Fire; the definition of Bounding Fire refers me to 3.3.2.2 which is BFF.

I am probably over thinking this but want to make sure.

Thanks
Velo

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
An AFV does not fire in MPh, but fires MG/IFE in AFPh. If it is stopped, FP is 1/2; but what if it stayed in Motion? 1/4? Not Allowed?

3.5 mentions the Bounding Fire; the definition of Bounding Fire refers me to 3.3.2.2 which is BFF.

Thanks
Velo
Motion Fire Fire by a vehicle that is Non-Stopped or while still in motion. The MG/IFE firepower of such a vehicle is halved while still in motion. In addition there are certain TH penalties (3.3.22).
3.3.22 Bounding First Fire: A vehicle may move and fire in the MPh including vs. units in the AFV's own hex. This is termed Bounding First Fire. Place a Bounding Fire counter on the firing vehicle. There are various Firer based TH DRM based on the amount of MP the vehicle has expended with a LOS to the target. Covered Arc change DRM (Case 8) never apply to a Bounding First Firing unit. A vehicle may expend delay MP while stopped to increase the amount of MP spent in the LOS of a target in order to reduce the DRMs but must announce these delay MP individually and suffer any Defensive Fire that is triggered by those delay MPs. A vehicle may move again in the MPh after firing provided it has sufficient MP. A vehicle that did not exhaust its ROF may fire again as Bounding First Fire after expending another MP but all other Weapons must be fired from the same hex as the first MA shot. MG/IFE have their FP halved in the MPh and quartered if Non-Stopped. Vehicular FT are not halved for firing in the MPh but are halved if Non-Stopped.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Motion Fire Fire by a vehicle that is Non-Stopped or while still in motion. The MG/IFE firepower of such a vehicle is halved while still in motion. In addition there are certain TH penalties (3.3.22).

It is halved whether it has stopped or remains in motion.
All

Thanks
Velo
fyi, All good questions.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
edited my first post. I think you may be quartered in the Adv Fire Phase if in motion. They don't make it easy....

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 2.0 definition of Motion Fire is making my head spin....

The definition states 1/2 FP for Non-Stopped / still in Motion vehicle. But doesn’t state specifically BFF or BF.

However, 3.3.2.2 states quartered for Non-Stopped using BFF in MPh but is silent on BF in AFPh.

So 1/2 FP if stopped in both MPh (BFF) and AFPh (BF). Got that.

Where I am still confused is....

1/4 FP if Non-Stopped/still in Motion for MPh and AFPh?

OR

1/4 FP if Non-Stopped/still in Motion for MPh and 1/2 FP in AFPh?

Velo

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Think of it this way:

Both MPh and AFPh are at least halved regardless of motion status, in effect the MPh and AFPh are treated identically. Motion Fire is an additional halving penalty during the MPh. Why would Motion/Non-Stopped Fire be treated differently just because it is in the AFPh?

So I would quarter (1/4) the fire in both MPh and AFPh when it is Motion/Non-Stopped Fire.

Now all the above is based on ASL, I'm no ASLSK Rulebook expert, but the underlying logic is or should the same. In ASL all Motion/Non-Stopped fire is halved "which is cumulative with any other FP modifications, such as AFPh Fire and Mounted Fire" D2.42. While that may be an omission in ASLSK, but I'm sure that was the original intent.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Although the 2.0 definition references 3.3.2.2, probably incorrectly, the definition itself is correct, "Fire by a vehicle in the AFPh after movement to a new hex during the MPh." The reference probably should be to 3.5.

JR