AFV in Motion...when can it fire during the its next MPh?

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Day All

If a AFV in motion canNOT fire during the Prep Fire and must expend 1 MP in its next MPh. So can the AFV fire as its 1st MP on that MPh? If not please aim me to the rules section(s).

Thanks
Chris :)

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It CAN fire as its first MP expenditure, but its chances of hitting anything will be very small. (unless it has a gyro).

If it fires on its first MP expenditure it will usually have the following DRM...

+2 Case B
+2 Case C (+3 for NT)
+2 Case C2 (Limited Aim)
Double the lower dr Case C4
+1 buttoned up?

Pretty grim.

Sam

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would it have the limited aim drm? That wouldn't count for targets that it could see at the beginning of the movement phase.

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
+2 Case C2 (Limited Aim)

Yes, I was curious about the "+2 Case C2 (Limited Aim)." Please explain.

thanks
Chris B

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB said:
It CAN fire as its first MP expenditure, but its chances of hitting anything will be very small. (unless it has a gyro).

If it fires on its first MP expenditure it will usually have the following DRM...
As some have pointed out, limited aim will normally not apply; note too that the vehicle can fire before expending a MP.

Which brings me to my all time worse tank loss. I had a PzIIIn in a stone building concealed. I had STUNNED an opponent's tank. In his MPh, he started driving off-board and took a shot at my concealed afv. The mods were:
+4 BFF
+1 STUN
+3 TEM
+2 Concealed
Double lower dr

Of course he rolls a DR2 and sdr1, and burns the PzIII.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course he rolls a DR2 and sdr1, and burns the PzIII.
Whine, whine, whine.... :wink:

As others have pointed out, limited aim will not apply if firing on the first MP because we would have been in LOS from the beginning of the MPh.

Sam "So, I blew a DRM - what else is new?" Belcher

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Good Day All

If a AFV in motion canNOT fire during the Prep Fire and must expend 1 MP in its next MPh. So can the AFV fire as its 1st MP on that MPh? If not please aim me to the rules section(s).

Thanks
Chris :)
The AFV in motion can fire before spending any MP in its MPh, not? The Defender can declare a Gun Duel. C5.33

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The AFV in motion can fire before spending any MP in its MPh, not? The Defender can declare a Gun Duel. C5.33
You are aware that this is a conversation that was last posted to in 2003? Besides your post that is of course..... At least one of the participants has passed away.

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I was searching for information about an AFV in Motion and firing during Pref Fire Phase and during Movement Phase. I read this conversation and wanted to know for sure that the AFV can fire before spending MP. Didn't know someone passed away. Sorry.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
At least one has passed that I know of....there may be more. We are reaching that age as a group..... Not meant as a criticism as much as informational....people tend to not follow up on 18 year old conversations unless the topic is compelling....which this may or may not be.

FWIW, there is a Q&A in the compiled PerrySez that deals with this peripherally.....might be worth a more detailed search than what I just did.... It does imply that BFF is not declared simultaneously with a MP expenditure.....although the rulz specifically state you must expend a MP between ROF shots.

A8.1 & D3.3
I think this rule gives the attacker the option to plan before starting his move the following sequence of events – are “...” marks
attackers verbal announcements:
“Start - 1 MP” [BU AFV out of LOS of non moving Defender] - X
“Move for 2.5 MP” [into Defenders LOS, enter open ground and executing D2.18] - Y
“Stop - 1 MP, go CE and BFF on Defender on this Stop MP” [as Stopped Firer, i.e. with Case C of To Hit Table C3] - Z
The defender could intervene with DFF at points X and Y, because of A8.1 and A8.11. The defender cannot intervene with DFF at
point Z first but has to allow the Bounding First Fire shot before the Defender has the possibility to shoot back with DFF.
A. You are wrong. Bounding First Fire cannot be declared simultaneously with a MP expenditure, so the DEFENDER will always
be able to declare Defensive First Fire between an MP expenditure and the declaration of Bounding First Fire.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The AFV in motion can fire before spending any MP in its MPh, not?
Yes, it may fire before expending any MP.

Keep in mind that an AFV is never in Motion during ITS MPh. Once it begins ITS MPh such a vehicle is considered Non-Stopped for the purposes of B1F.

C5.35 CASE C4; MOTION FIRER:
A Motion/Non-Stopped vehicle which is moving and wishes to fire without stopping (D2.13) first, must add the applicable DRM of Case C4 to its To Hit DR. If the AFV is equipped with a Gyrostabilizer, it must use the Case C, or C1, or C2 DRM as applicable (depending on MP expended in continuous LOS of the target just prior to the shot) plus an additional +1 DRM. If the vehicle is not equipped with a Gyrostabilizer, it must use the Case C, or C1, or C2 DRM as applicable and must double the lower dr of its TH DR.
The Defender can declare a Gun Duel. C5.33
Correct, the DEFENDER may intervene by declaring a Gun Duel.