AFV combat in ASL

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When the Japanese on Peleliu launched an armored counterattack across the airfield, the American Shermans firing at the enemy tanks switched from AP to HE because the AP was just going in one side of the tank and coming out the other without causing any major damage. Try to find that in the rules ;-)

JR
Absolutely true! In fact, the Japanese tanks blew up into so many pieces the Marines couldn't even get an accurate count after the battle of how many Japanese tanks participated in the charge. Numbers ranged from 12 - 20. That some serious 'splosions.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ROUT REPORT had a alternative SHOCK table, that whenever your tank got shocked, then you would roll a die...well, you get the idea.

MY FAVORITE result on the table was one that generated an armor leader (not all results were necessarily evil). I called it for a scenario in which one of my PzKwVG aka Panthers with a 9-1 AL was SHOCKED, then he BATTLE HARDENED into a 9-2 then zapped the M10 that had the gall to scratch some of that fine Krupp steel.

We stopped using that table shortly after that incident...wonder why?...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Dave Olie

High King of New Scotland
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like Bruce's Collateral Damage idea. Especially the Jammed Turrets; that was something that happened fairly often.

For those desiring more chrome in the armour game, get a load of this:

If the Shock is the result of a hull hit against the front target facing of a moving vehicle (or one in motion) in which the colored die of the To Hit DR is "1", the driver has been affected. Reroll one die. The AFV (regardless of facing, MPs, or obstacles) immediately pivots so that the Vehicular Covered Arc is centered on the hexspine of the die roll. The vehicle then moves one hex to the clockwise side of the Covered Arc and ends its movement with the same Vehicular Covered Arc indicated by the die roll and Shock counter.

If the random movement results in entry into a prohibited hex (such as across a cliff or into a water hex or stone building) the AFV is removed with no crew survival possible.

If the random movement results in entry into an obstacle hex which normally requires an immobilization die roll (woods, wooden buildings), that die roll must be made (vehicle bypass movement cannot be claimed).

The random movement does not evoke any additional excessive speed breakdown possibility.

If the random movement results in entry into an occupied hex, all unarmored occupants (even friendly) of the hex must undergo a basic overrun attack of 4 factors on the IFT (even if the AFV entered the hex by falling off a cliff or has already executed an Overrun attack)...
If this looks familiar, it's from CoD rule section 131 Partial Armor Penetration Shock. It's a cool concept, and even though there was almost no chance that it would ever happen, how we longed for the day when a Shocked AFV would plunge to its death over a cliff hexside and, in so doing, force an overrun attack on friendly troops below.

"Sorry for dropping in unexpectedly..." :laugh:

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ROUT REPORT had a alternative SHOCK table, that whenever your tank got shocked, then you would roll a die...well, you get the idea.

MY FAVORITE result on the table was one that generated an armor leader (not all results were necessarily evil). I called it for a scenario in which one of my PzKwVG aka Panthers with a 9-1 AL was SHOCKED, then he BATTLE HARDENED into a 9-2 then zapped the M10 that had the gall to scratch some of that fine Krupp steel.

We stopped using that table shortly after that incident...wonder why?...

Mark DV
Ada, MI
I enjoyed the old Rout Report shock table as well. Can't find too many people that will use it. And I will not use it when I am playing Mark for the reasons he mentioned above. He is just too darn lucky!!!!:mad::nuts: