After a game, what factors do you consider important when deciding whether a scenario's fun?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
First I must remind everyone that I am a solo player and at the history nerd end of ASL's spectrum.

Did I roughly repeat the historical result or not?
Did that surprise me?
The how and why of my result, including whether some combination of low probability events were decisive.
What should the historical commanders have done, including precipitate retreat, given the situation.
Finally, did I lose some counters or soil myself?

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
For me the best ASL experience is, win or lose, when I come away feeling like I've been in a tough fight and the game remained a chess match of action-counteraction to the end. I also like good historical flavor which helps spur my imagination and generates immersiveness. So I tend to like scenarios where the defender can or has to do a fair amount of maneuvering (J157 Rage Against the Machine). It doesn't have to be attack-counterattack (BFP-102 Tolstoy Woods) but it helps. I played two I liked this weekend against a quality opponent (Lee Conner) -- FrF45 Totensonntag and J1 Urban Guerrillas. Standouts in the last year have been J189 Buckley's Block and what I thought was a really good one -- RPT78 Bounty Hunters.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I tend to favor Early War scenarios because nobody's Superman and all AFVs are at risk. It's flukey but fun when an ATR or even an MG stops an armored advance. In the past year I've played with Fanatic Elite troops and not liked how the game goes. You're rolling and rolling and nothing's happening. And I'm still bitter about another scenario in which I failed to secure a Hull Hit on a Jagdtiger 7 times. That seemed rude.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I have to admit, I am not certain I completely understand the question. Post game, if it was fun for both players, then it was fun. That's pretty simple. I do not care if the game went 3 of 6 turns but both sides blasted the crap out of each other and each player had a great time hootin' and and hollerin'. That is fun.

In Roger's perfect world, I will play an early war meeting engagement scenario with a CVP cap (or competing CVPS for VPS) that comes down to the last turn where both sides have fun toys to play with.

Pre game, I look at VCs, maps, and OB.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Different options, different options and lots of different options.
Basically, I’m done with ASL the game. I’m much more interested in the human interaction part. Everybody has a style and personality, a good scenario should let a player play it his/her way. Are you a crazy risk taker or do you play it safe? Do you attack no matter what? Aggressive/passive? Sneaky? A good player should do all that depending on the situation. I play a different style against different people (many of whom I have know for 30+ years). Against a Gor-Gor type i’ll probably play a more ‘gambitty’ game than against other types. ASL is great because you and your opponent’s character can shine.

Last edited: