African American divisions in Advanced Squad Leader

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the best of my knowledge the only entirely "black (negroe in the vernacular of the day or African American in the current accepted vernacular)" divisions in the U.S. force in WW-II were the 2nd Cavalry Division and the 92nd Infantry Division. the 2nd Cavalry Division was even a racially mixed unit early in the war but only used as a Division sized unit Stateside. The 2nd Cav Div was never committed to action as an entity and arrived in North Africa very late in the war and was eventually inactivated in May '44 as its units were stripped from its rolls to augment other commands.

The 92nd Division was called a "Colored Division" and represented the Buffalo Soldiers of the American West and the campaign in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. They had also served as a Division in France during WW-I and in WW-II were shipped to Italy in September 1943. Some of their units such as the 370th RCT would be attached to the 1st Armored Division in actions along the Arno River and penetration of the Gothic Line whereas the 442nd RCT (Japanese-Americans unit) was utilized throughout the Italian campaign as previously noted. Finally committed as a Division in Late 44 against the Italian 4th "Monta Rosa" Alpini Division, The 1st "Italia" Bersaglieri Division as well as the Republic of Salò's Fascist Army they were eventually all but disbanded by Feb-Mar 45 as once again, as with many "black" units, their units were stripped from the Division to augment other units or reclassified for other roles within the U.S. 5th Army. The last notable actions by units of the 92nd (442nd RCT & 370th RCT) were against the German 148th Infantry Division which resulted in the capture of La Spezia and Genoa on 27 April '45 along the Ligurian coast. It is interesting to note that other nationalities were often attached to the 92nd Division during various aspects of the Italian Campaign such as the Brazilian Expeditionary Force and select Anti-Fascist Italian Army units among several other formations.

Last edited:

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
The OP said explicitly that he's not some kind of woke person, but he wants to create a possible Action Pack covering actions of black minorities, thus commemorating African American units which fought in WW2. Where's the problem in that? We do have packs dedicated to Swedes or Italians, there are TPP's about I guess every other nation. USA is different from almost any European country in that it is not a country per se but a federation of various states. And those states come in with multitude of races and ethnic groups.

The beauty of ASL is that we can trace a history of a particular group/unit in the second world war history with a level of immersion not given by any other wargame that I know of. ASL was about diversity before it was cool.
wow!!! we can find anything theses days
I'm a little shocked about it as well. Dam that is all you can say lol

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
As some have said -- get going on the scenarios and have something besides an 'idea'; MMP gets plenty of those. They don't sell very well.

Your idea for a separate pack might be a viable product with a new map or two. (personally I look at a Journal feature series, 3-5 scenarios with a supporting article as a better vehicle for this endeavor.)

If you are struggling to think of yourself as a scenario designer, read my 'Six Easy Steps' article published in one of the journals.

I'll be glad to help if I can.
What Journal?

Thanks

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I don't care what color you are so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches
have to work that into a scenario card
"MMP 789 : I don't care what color you are so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches."
Or maybe "Color blind George"?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don't care what color you are so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches
have to work that into a scenario card
"MMP 789 : I don't care what color you are so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches."
To his dice: I don't care what color you are so long as you are both ones.
And then:
I have an ivory handled hammer, don't forget that. Only a cheap New Orleans pimp would have a pearl handled hammer.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall Pitman developed a scenario: "The Besotten Jenny" that was published by Schwerpunk that featured African American GIs as well as a smorgasboard of other nationalities. Great story. Can't wait for the movie to come out.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I recall Pitman developed a scenario: "The Besotten Jenny" that was published by Schwerpunk that featured African American GIs as well as a smorgasboard of other nationalities. Great story. Can't wait for the movie to come out.
Racist! you must apologize to all Jennys, pervert! :mad:
hey Bob! 👋 how ya been, budro? 🆒

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I kinda forgot about the forum pages. Still play some ASL with Holst but not enough. I got married this year. Age 56 (makes me a youngster around here) Things are good. I missed seeing all you guys postings. My fault for not staying in the loop. How about you Mr Psycho ? Wrestle any alligators recently down in the Bayou? I recall you have a wonderful wife that reached out to the community when you were ill. Two little girls? Probably in college by now. I hope the family is doing great then. Hello too to Honza. And Pete and everyone else. I will be at the ASL Open in Chicago if it is live in 2022. I live only 3 miles away from the hotel it has been at with Dave G running the show.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I kinda forgot about the forum pages. Still play some ASL with Holst but not enough. I got married this year. Age 56 (makes me a youngster around here) Things are good. I missed seeing all you guys postings. My fault for not staying in the loop. How about you Mr Psycho ? Wrestle any alligators recently down in the Bayou? I recall you have a wonderful wife that reached out to the community when you were ill. Two little girls? Probably in college by now. I hope the family is doing great then. Hello too to Honza. And Pete and everyone else. I will be at the ASL Open in Chicago if it is live in 2022. I live only 3 miles away from the hotel it has been at with Dave G running the show.
Better rusty than dusty.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Rally Point #4, RPT 34.

This battle is featured in the book The Last Battle by Stephen Harding