Advice Needed for Impressive Victory

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am presently in a mini-campaign as an American against the Germans
June/July 1944. The Americans have 3 companies of mostly 1st line and some 2nd line squads. We have an Elite company of Americans (6-6-7).
The OBA could range from nothing to 155 but not determined until begining of game.

The Germans consist of 3 companies of mostly 1st line and some 2nd line troops. They could get 1 company of AB as a random event. OBA for the Germans is the same as Americans.

The Germans are defending town, a church and a bridge. The terrain is light bocage and light trees and a normal stream. We are playing the width of the board about 25 hexes and the length is about 40 hexes

AFV's are somewhat limited on both sides. The best armor on the table can have printed 11 (either inferior or superior). As Americans we can have 1 M36.

American Victory conditions: Are take 3/4 of the buildings (about 6) and control the bridge (not allowing any infantry squad to have fire within normal range of the bridge) The Town and the bridge are on opposite sides of the table. or the if the Americans can exit 2 full companies and 1/4 support elements of the table.

Ok...any suggestions for the Americans?

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Suggestions? Play another scenario?

It doesn't sound as if the Americans have ANY significant advantage in numbers / fire power / etc. How are they supposed to take these objectives?

From your description (a DYO setup, I presume) I'd say the Germans have a distinct advantage.

If you can provide more info (or as I suggest change the scenario) perhaps we can offer more help.

Sam "Did alot of DYO when I was younger.." Belcher

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victory Needed

SamB said:
Suggestions? Play another scenario?

It doesn't sound as if the Americans have ANY significant advantage in numbers / fire power / etc. How are they supposed to take these objectives?

From your description (a DYO setup, I presume) I'd say the Germans have a distinct advantage.

If you can provide more info (or as I suggest change the scenario) perhaps we can offer more help.

Sam "Did alot of DYO when I was younger.." Belcher
The only advantage that I see is that the Germans will need to be spread out to control the entire board. And the Americans mass 3 companies to one side of the board and try to get 2 Companies off the board.

I was planning on using M3 (4-5; canister and 4/4 MG) and M4A1 76W (2 w/ gyro) and M105 (2). If I use 4 M4A1 76W, I cannot use the M105s. I pretty much and select any AFV as long as fits the time frame (June/July 1944) and does not have a higher printed armor value of 11. I can select just about anything but I am very limited on the numbers.

I need a Victory with as few casualities as possible. These squads then move onto another battle. If we are pushed back, most likely the Americans will lose. So this is a most win battle.

Good battle tactics are requested
Thanks
CB

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How large is the map? How far will you have to move to exit? How far will the Germans have to move to shift forces from one end of the line to the other?

I'd attack on one flank with most of your forces. Try for Harrassing OBA fire in the center of the board to slow down Germans trying to "shift". A portion of your forces should also attack in the center or other flank to slow the Germans response.

Tank tactics? Unless you have a superiority in numbers, you're going to expect to get the short end. You move, he def fires. then he preps and THEN if you live you can fire effectively. Not good.

Sounds very "iffy' to me. very dicey too...

Good luck, you'll need it.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Very iffy indeed. Even the weight of numbers benefit will be eroded by the terrain. Bocage and village must be the most difficult places to make weight of numbers count, and you'll need to push on quickly before the Germans can redeploy effectively. Tough ask. OBA is probably your most valuable asset, but you can't plan for it if it's as variable as it sounds.

I'd rejig your format so that the attacker gets to know their OBA availability beforehand, at the very least.