advfire Ph Question

wiretwister63

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why was the change made from the original SL to allow units firing in the AdvFirePh that did not move to only fire at half firepower? (ex. those marked with bounding fire markers can still fire at full strength.)

I understand the bounding fire at full strength, it is basically overwatch fire.

This is not to argue a rule but to help me understand the realism and tatical aspect of this rule.

Thanks,

DJ

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Footnote #9 in the ASLRB adresses this issue.

"...it reflects the fact that the fire is occuring at a later time and therefore is not using the full quantity of FP assumed to be used during the Prep Fire. By sheer volume of fire the amount of damage is likely to be correspondingly less."

It is also why Multiple ROF and Intensive Fire are not allowed in the AFPh.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The convention of using the bounding fire marker (Opportunity Fire) forces the attacker to make the decision on who will remain on overwatch and who will move in advance of the movement phase. Defensive First Fire and other events after the Prep Fire Phase can often force the attacker into changing his plans.

You can keep everyone available to move but if you need some firepower later it will all be halved. Or, if you suspect a trap or a sneaky HIP placement, you can place a group under opportunity Fire and hammer away at full FP with RoF in the Adv Fire Ph.This removes some of the "Omnipotent Player" problem inherant in most turn based games.

Cheers,

The Purist