Advancing Fire Team - Brevity Assault

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Yes, it will be great to have some more DTO! The fact that there is "terrain" should make for a more enjoyable play experience than many previous scenarios. The map has a great look but I do think there are a couple things to consider. I like the way the colors look but it might need a slight nod toward easier play-ability. It might be just the way it looks on my monitor .......................................

With all the similarly colored levels they could be hard to discern. Especially if someone is using low color temp or incandescent lighting. That tends to cause browns and yellows to blend. If anything I would want a little harder definition of crest lines or somehow a little stronger color difference. In standard size hexes these can become obscured when counters are in them.

Depending on the background color some of the buildings disappear. Maybe a stronger boarder to make them pop.

Seth
One thing that might be nice is a definition of whether the crest lines are considered at the higher or lower elevation.

JR

The problem is that we had to manage 10 levels, and its not so easy. For this we introduced the "crest lines", that for SSR are part of the higher level. After all, if there is any difficulty in discerning, it could be considered as "part of the game", in the sense of simulation of the "difficulty in being sure regarding the LOS/LOF". We are preferring this, compared to using more defined colors, which would certainly lead us out of the "browns" and of the simple variations in brightness, which would give a too anesthetic result.

For the definitive version of this map we worked on the less defined buildings (mainly AA32, T16, S18).

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The problem is that we had to manage 10 levels, and its not so easy. For this we introduced the "crest lines", that for SSR are part of the higher level. After all, if there is any difficulty in discerning, it could be considered as "part of the game", in the sense of simulation of the "difficulty in being sure regarding the LOS/LOF". We are preferring this, compared to using more defined colors, which would certainly lead us out of the "browns" and of the simple variations in brightness, which would give a too anesthetic result.

For the definitive version of this map we worked on the less defined buildings (mainly AA32, T16, S18).
Keep the crest lines as they are. With so many levels, the danger is while trying hard to make them distinct (especially for the red-green colour blind), you could end up with a psychedelic nightmare. The map is soothing while clear and without ambiguity. On odd occasions and lighting, the KGP St map hits me like it's trying to trigger a migraine. We already have some maps (eg 61) that have crest lines that "undercut" the likes of Grain, Brush and Woods.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Are those symbols so weird?
No, I was just poking some fun at Alabama - it's college football season here in the states. I'm a University of Georgia grad, and we have a certain rivalry with our bordering state team. The map itself looks GREAT. Very well done!

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that I look again I see that there are lines for the crest lines. That should be very good. The colors will definitely give the right feel.

Seth

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
No, I was just poking some fun at Alabama - it's college football season here in the states. I'm a University of Georgia grad, and we have a certain rivalry with our bordering state team. The map itself looks GREAT. Very well done!

Is it really a rivalry when you haven't won since 2007? (albeit only four games since then). :p

ROLL TIDE!!!

Just start at 3:22

Cheers,

Mark

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
It looks difficult to defend.
But that's the challenge, friend, that's the challenge… That is for ASL was created… To prove yourself as a good tactical leader. I'm sure that will be balancing details to scenarios… ;)

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Brevity Assault pack contains also new counters to represent weapons used in the Operation Brevity. This is the German captured 25 Pdr British Gun one battery of which was, for example, deployed by the 3. Aufklärungs Abteilung of the 5. Leichte Division (then 21. Pz Div.) during all the North African campaign.

25pdr captured.jpg

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We have been here before but lost some of the posts from last outages...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Google Earth 31°33'32.01"N 25° 9'50.53"E you can see Sollum actual small harbour....

the town is a lot bigger than 1941 but the sea is the same.... as you can see to be very realistic i could draw the sandy bottom that appears to be in the east part of the gulf, the rest is enough dark.... i dont think it is wise to insert elements in the map that have not a scope..... the question in this case is that it should be a meaning for the different colour.... they could be of 2 different colour for G13.4 Shallow/Deep OCEAN hexes meaning, but i didnt preview any seaborne assault and there wasnt a landing there in all the WW2.... the sea isnot made of plain blue but there is a texture (not perfectly viewable at this resolution)

P.S.: The orientation of the map is wrong ( it should be vs upper-left corner), it will be correct in the definitive one

It is not a question of "to be politically and religiously correct", simply that wasnt a church with a steeple, so why i have to put a cross there?
Height equivilent colour dot/square would suffice