Advanced Cohort Leader: when is the next module being released and what do you want to see in it?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was reading the When will the Ponyri module be released thread and started thinking about ACL. It seems like centuries since the last module came out. From some of the posts on that thread about ACL I realized that many other hardcore ACLers must feel the same way! There were some great ideas for new rules. The truth be told the old girl could use some updating.

Hopefully Ioannes and Dominus at LLP will get wind of this thread and see the enthusiasm that still exits for the progenitor of all wargames, Advanced Cohort Leader!

July 28th was the anniversary of the release of Cohort Leader in 52 A.D. I was so busy that I forgot and Actiondebbie and I had to have our celebration a bit late. I hope your celebrations were as great as ours. I'm sure they were even better!🤗

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm hanging out for Hallowed Legions. I heard they were going to include the rules for Phalanx Tipping.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm hanging out for Hallowed Legions. I heard they were going to include the rules for Phalanx Tipping.
I'm very curious about the naval aspect. I did a report in High School about Roman warships and their weapons. Good stuff!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Cash grab. The original Cohort Leader was better IMO. There was no need for dozens of different chariot types with marginally different characteristics. The advanced rulebook was crazy with all the cross-references and acronyms. Needed a flowchart just to understand the SPQR.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Cash grab. The original Cohort Leader was better IMO. There was no need for dozens of different chariot types with marginally different characteristics. The advanced rulebook was crazy with all the cross-references and acronyms. Needed a flowchart just to understand the SPQR.
A valid point and one shared by many CL enthusiasts. 🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Would it be Naval HtH CC but from the adjacent hex? :unsure:
I remember reading of a long gang plank the Romans had on their some of their ships. It was vertically mounted on a swivel and had a large spike attached to the underside of the unattached end. When attempting to board an enemy vessel the device was released to hit the deck of the vessel. Upon impact the spike would stick into the deck effectively joining the two ships together and providing a means to board the enemy ship. Pretty cool but wouldn't want to fall off while wearing armor.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I remember reading of a long gang plank the Romans had on their some of their ships. It was vertically mounted on a swivel and had a large spike attached to the underside of the unattached end. When attempting to board an enemy vessel the device was released to hit the deck of the vessel. Upon impact the spike would stick into the deck effectively joining the two ships together and providing a means to board the enemy ship. Pretty cool but wouldn't want to fall off while wearing armor.
The corvus, yesterday's Word. I was really tired and it was all I could think of. Regardless I was talking about it with Colonel Cuervo and Captain Bacchus.

The corvus was used in the First Punic War against the Carthaginians. The Captain and Colonel said imagine what it was like for those first Carthaginian sailors who encountered the corvus. Ramming was the principal naval tactic then. Suddenly instead of ramming the Roman ship drops this bridge which joins the two vessels and heavily armed Legionnaires swarm across. Land warfare goes to sea to paraphrase one of the sources. Undoubtedly terrifying for the Carthaginians.

It reminded me very much of the accounts of the Germans early encounters with the T 34. Nothing really changes. Different times but same dilemmas.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The corvus, yesterday's Word. I was really tired and it was all I could think of. Regardless I was talking about it with Colonel Cuervo and Captain Bacchus.

The corvus was used in the First Punic War against the Carthaginians. The Captain and Colonel said imagine what it was like for those first Carthaginian sailors who encountered the corvus. Ramming was the principal naval tactic then. Suddenly instead of ramming the Roman ship drops this bridge which joins the two vessels and heavily armed Legionnaires swarm across. Land warfare goes to sea to paraphrase one of the sources. Undoubtedly terrifying for the Carthaginians.

It reminded me very much of the accounts of the Germans early encounters with the T 34. Nothing really changes. Different times but same dilemmas.
Made me wonder whether "corvette" was related to corvus (i.e. "little crow"), but apparently not, comes through Germanic (Dutch specifically) rather than Latin.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Made me wonder whether "corvette" was related to corvus (i.e. "little crow"), but apparently not, comes through Germanic (Dutch specifically) rather than Latin.
I really like that train of thought and do it myself a lot. The Fate Clothos, the Spinner, and that's maybe how we got cloth. Lol Captain Bacchus says I should quit posting and just watch All Creatures Great and Small, the original.
James just proposed to Helen. I've watched it a couple dozen times but I am a softie and sometimes the tears are cool.

Lol. Captain Bacchus. What a shipmate.

Thanks for your posts!🤗