Advance Phase

kwsrv

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had question concerning the Advance Phase. Is it allowable for a unit in a building location with open ground in it's hex to advance into a building location in an adjacent hex with open ground in front of it? I was confused by the rules stating that "A unit may not change both its location within a hex and also the hex it is in during the same APh ... (A4.7)" Sounds to me that the unit could move from inside the building to the open ground portion of only the hex it is in.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An infantry unit (the only kind doing any advancing) cannot end in bypass. So it can't go from a building to the open ground in bypass of the building.

The statement in the rules just means you can't advance down stairs AND out into the adjacent hex.

I guess I'm still not sure I understand the question. 8)

If you mean can a unit advance from one building to an adjacent building - yes.

And remember too that the ground floor of the building and the open ground in the hex around it are the SAME location.

Hope that helps.
Sam

Kid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Concealment and Advance Movement

I have a new question:
"?" is lost, if a squad advances into an Open Ground hex in the LOS of a Good Order or unbroken enemy ground unit. But what happend when the squad advances into an Open Ground hex with a hedge or wall and gains wall advantage? Is "?" lost or not?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kwsrv: you need to be sure you understand the definition of "location." Just because a hex contains a building and open ground does not mean that there are two separate locations. Unless the building is a multilevel building, there will be only one location. Thus you move from the one location in the building hex to the adjacent location.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kid: read the definition of Open Ground (I think it's in the Index, as well as elsewhere). If no one can get the FFMO against you, then it is not Open Ground. Thus a wall or hedge would mean the hex is not open ground, assuming that no enemy unit can fire on you on your side of the wall.