Admiral Togo visits Davey Jones early

Jeff Leslie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just had the most amazing engagement for me to date. Playing the campaign as Russians, and it's 15 Feb 1904.

Ever since the PA attack, I've been trying to send ships out to see what's out there and to start mining places. There's been one problem with that idea though, and it's called Admiral Togo and his force of 19 ships that seems to have taken up residency just outside Port Arthur. So far in this campaign anything that tried to leave PA was met by this force right outside the gates.

The force of 19 ships is flagged by Togo in BB Chin Yen, along with 10 cruisers of various types and 8 TB's. An older and less powerful force, but nonetheless still substantial. Not sure if this is the same group everyone else has been seeing loitering between PA and Chemulpo, but they've been a thorn in my side for quite a while. I've seen them a couple times in other campaigns I've started, but never right outside PA for this long.

I was hoping that they would eventually just go away, but every time I tried to leave PA they were there. Finally, I sortied up all 7 battleships, 6 cruisers, and 17 destroyers and went out to see if Adm. Togo still wanted to play ball.

They were there as expected, and when the engagement started both forces were pretty much sitting on top of each other. We were outside the range of the shore batteries.

Long story short, after a 49 minute battle, the Japanese lost 15 ships to include the Chin Yen with Togo on board. For some reason a division of 4 Japanese cruisers peeled off early and sped away with just some minor damage from parting shots. The Russians had 18 damaged ships out of 30, losing none. The Russian destroyers took quite a beating since they were between the battleships and the Japanese lines, but miraculously none were sunk. There were several collisions with Jap TB's and Russian battleships as the TB's showed no fear and came right in the battleship line.

Chin Yen was a real trooper, taking the brunt of most of the Russian battleships and 3 torpedo hits before she finally bellied up and went down. The 3 Jap vanilla cruisers (Takao, Fuso, Tatsuta) didn't last long since they are all 0 armor.

I didn't expect the Japanese AI to keep so much pressure on PA so early in the game. It seems like the AI wanted to meet anything leaving PA with enough of a force to cause me to turn tail right back in to port, and it worked for several days.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I had the same battle in a little smaller way yesterday.

It got on my nerves, that every night sortie was interrupted from a big Japanese force.

So I put my 5 best BBs in one taskforce. In e series of htree battle, I sunk 3 DD, one cruiser, Chin yen and 7 PC. Untortunatly I was a little tired in the last and biggest battle against the Chin Yen + PCs, one of those buggers managed to put two torps into "Poboya" which was lost. I should have turned the whole division immediatly but was too smug `cause all enemies had already moderate damage. I just was too smug of my affords.... :rolleyes:

Z.

Jeff Leslie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Japanese torpedoes definitely are more effective than the Russian ones. They seem to be better at shooting them too.

vertical

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see :). And the Japanese use a Whitehead of larget caliber I believe, so probably a bigger warhead also.

vertical