Adjustment of map BMP file after terrain effects done

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
To map in the terrain effects I need to use some form of marker when setting the various terrain effects, eg LOS etc in MapTool. The terrain has many small rises 10 – 20 m above the “base” level so they are not really high ground. The map has high ground as there are many features that start at 20m ABSL and rise directly to 300+ m ABSL. I don’t see these bumps as high ground just LOS inconveniences.

The reality is that if you stand on the ground and look about these 20m bumps are not that noticeable but do block LOS.

What I was going to do is mark that is some colour in the map BMP file them plot the LOS effects in with the MapTool. After finishing go back to the map BMP and set the special spots to the correct textures.

So simply, is it possible after doing everything needed with MapTool to go and adjust the map BMP file?

Also how does one deal with river/creek waddies. Actually they are creeks here even if dry 90% of the year and 80 m wide. These are depressions and have LOS effects, ie once in you can not see out. If they are deep enough you can not see into them either. Most in the area I am mapping are in the order of 0.5 – 2 m in depth.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have run into the same problem . . .

Hopefully one of the better map wizards will offer some ideas.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a map wizzard by a long shot but I'll toss some of my ideas to you.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the LOS block feature because as I remember/understand it using it also blocks LOS for aircraft. Okay I guess if your modeling mountains.

For rivers and streams that are fordable I think a level of rough is the way to go. Units in it will be concealed if their not moving representing the cover found in and around streams.

The rivers you talking about almost sound like you need to make that level 0 and make everything else level 1. To replicate the undulating terrain you can use rough which cause units to disapear from view randomly as they move through it with some woods to give an LOS block.

I my opinion you could be creative in a rough terrain (real not map code) area and code an area as woods to give the LOS block but in reality your modeling the crest of a hill. You'd need to color the map accordingly. I'm working on a map of Guadalcanal (for way too long) and I'm thinking of doing that along the crest of some of the hill tops.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would agree on the use of the “Misc LOS Block” option as it affects all things. This LOS Block seems to create an infinite height wall of sight block.

I will post a couple of map sections showing the terrain types.

Since most of the area is “flat” the idea of making everything a level 1 terrain and just the creek a level 0 would reduce the meaning and possible tactical effect of the very high ground. If the general terrain was flat and riddled with waddies then the suggestion would make sense.

Anyway its going to be a see what happens style of things.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This map shows the general flat terrain and the steep rising slopes. All ‘hills’ in the region look like this. In this particular area there is little vegetation. The slopes are foot traversable but not something one would like to storm. Some have tracks that can be negotiated by all wheel drive wheeled vehicles. These tracks are rough and heavily water washed.

Last edited:

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This section shows the general flat area again, but with more vegetation and the creek. In general these creeks can be 1 – 2 meters deep and steep or cliff like sides. This will hamper LOS into the creek bed.
As there are few of this in the area I am dealing with the abstractions of terrain in Tacops may be of little effect on a large scale operation. At the lower levels, company and platoon the abstraction may be a hindrance.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>So simply, is it possible after doing everything needed with MapTool
>to go and adjust the map BMP file?

Yes. The program considers only the terrain cell coding. It does not pay any attention to the artwork background.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
>So simply, is it possible after doing everything needed with MapTool
>to go and adjust the map BMP file?

Yes. The program considers only the terrain cell coding. It does not pay any attention to the artwork background.
Thanks for that. I thought so after a bit of experimenting with one of the small game maps.