Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Side A can enter on/adjacent to a road hex on the short side (ten hexes) of a map board. That edge has a road split across hexes numbered five and six. For ease of discussion, let us say A5 and A6. Does on/adjacent to a road hex then mean Side A can enter using hexes A4, A5, A6 and A7?

TIA

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As far as I know, both A5 and A6 have road on them and are both road hexes. There is no rule that says otherwise (AFAIK), and the symmetry of the situation tells you that either both are road hexes or neither is. I usually opt for both.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing can be ruled out: they are not narrow streets:

Q&A said:
B31.1
Are the hexside roads present in hexes A5/A6 and GG5/GG6 on most boards also considered to be "narrow streets"?
A. No.
Or would a better definition be that the hexside road must have a building in both hexes shared by that hexside? (I haven't done an absolutely exhaustive check, but a quick overview of available boards featuring narrow streets didn't yield any counter-examples to that definition, other than PB X18, which is already covered by a dedicated rule.)
A. Buildings must be involved. {2}
JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When entering from off board, only hex A5 is considered a road hex, when exiting the board, either may be used as a road hex (A2.51).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think A6 is a road hex as well. What does A2.51 say?
A2.51 OFFBOARD SETUP: "...If the board is butted widthwise, all offboard hexes with a coordinate of 5 are considered road hexes."

When exiting, the "offboard map is considered to be a mirror image of the board being exited so either the #5 or #6 hexes would be considered road hexes as per A2.6 EXIT.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Writing the last answer out has helped me understand a little better, I guess either onboard coordinates A5/6 GG5/6 are road hexes, but can only be entered at the road rate from from a hypothetical A/GG5 offboard hex. You got me again; But at least I'm trying!:hush::laugh:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Writing the last answer out has helped me understand a little better, I guess either onboard coordinates A5/6 GG5/6 are road hexes, but can only be entered at the road rate from from a hypothetical A/GG5 offboard hex.
Yes, that is what I was thinking earlier.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Writing the last answer out has helped me understand a little better, I guess either onboard coordinates A5/6 GG5/6 are road hexes, but can only be entered at the road rate from from a hypothetical A/GG5 offboard hex.
This is it exactly.

I recently came across a scenario (forgot the name), in which this became relevant:
Setup of onboard units was only allowed "South of the road", all terrain around was (Dense ?) Jungle, and an inviting flank move needed space to set up vehicles and infantry for optimal MP/MF usage. With both hexes being roads, the setup could only be made south of both, which made the difference of one turn with regard to reach certain desirable locations durin Turn 1.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A2.51 OFFBOARD SETUP: "...If the board is butted widthwise, all offboard hexes with a coordinate of 5 are considered road hexes."

When exiting, the "offboard map is considered to be a mirror image of the board being exited so either the #5 or #6 hexes would be considered road hexes as per A2.6 EXIT.
That only means that wholly offboard hex #5 (FF5 if you butt that end of the offboard) is a road. It says nothing about onboard (half-) hex A6. It means you can't enter A6 from any hex other than offboard hex #5 and use the road movement rate.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That only means that wholly offboard hex #5 (FF5 if you butt that end of the offboard) is a road. It says nothing about onboard (half-) hex A6. It means you can't enter A6 from any hex other than offboard hex #5 and use the road movement rate.

JR
Ah yes! It would be FF5/B5 as they would be the first full off board hexes - thanks for the correction.:thumup: