Adjacent and factory walls

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hmm, wasn't there a Perry Sez on some very similar situation not so long ago?

Edit:
This was the one I had in mind (which refers to 'diagonal LOS' and SMOKE Hindrance).
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/smoke-and-diagonal-los.130276/

With regard to my prior remark:
I was thinking of SMOKE hindrances <6 (or a +3 SMOKE and a +2 SMOKE in other words). I should have been more precise.
The PerrySez says that if you go through multiple vertical levels within a hex diagonally you don't pay multiple SMOKE hindrance DRMs. Which is good because we have no way of computing how many levels a LOS goes through in a particular hex when the LOS is diagonal across that hex.

You are right if the two SMOKEs are not +3 there is the possibility of a LOS. Frequently when there is SMOKE in two adjacent hexes it is because of an OBA SMOKE mission, and that is what I had in mind. When the OBA SMOKE FFE is at +3, that prevents DC placement.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You are right if the two SMOKEs are not +3 there is the possibility of a LOS. Frequently when there is SMOKE in two adjacent hexes it is because of an OBA SMOKE mission, and that is what I had in mind. When the OBA SMOKE FFE is at +3, that prevents DC placement.
JR
The situation I had in mind (without specifying that precisely) was the US smoking a Building with WP (+2Hindrance and an additional +1 for firing out of WP which rises high enough to even affect fire from units in the typical Level 2 building) and then popping the additional Infantry Smoke Grenade (which is quite easy to get with the US's widespread smoke exponent of 3) to 'make sure' before crossing the road.

This will yield a total of +5 DRM for Smoke and appears to be a tactic not unusual given the abundance of Smoke the US usually has at hand. In such a situation the Thrown DC by that 'apparent' Dummy Defender which has so far tellingly passed up even juicy attack opportunities can be a nasty surprise for the US. The attack won't be affected by SMOKE (except cancelling FFMO) and at the same time, the US squads are usually quite suspectible due to their morale commonly being 6 or 7.

So instead of facing maybe 7 or 9 FP (467+LMG /467+MMG German defenders often seen in strongpoints across roads at +4 DRM (+5 Smoke, -1 FFNAM), conceivably halved for Dashing, they will instead be hit by 30FP +1 DRM (+2 Thrown -1 FFNAM) while the Defender at 2nd level is not even affected by the Thrown DC due to being more than 1 level higher. And such a DC attack will place nice RFP, too.

von Marwitz