Additional Starter Kit Scenarios

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At our last gaming session at Hobbytown USA in Brandon, FL, the members of our group were looking over the ASL Starter Kit. We all agreed that it is going to be a tremendous boost to the hobby.

A question came up. Will more starter kit scenarios be wanted or needed to enhance the starter kit's utility? Will starter kit compatable scenarios be printed in the Journal? Is there going to be a demand for more SK#1 compatable scenarios? At what point will new players most likely graduate to regular ASL (assuming that the ASLRB and BV are available in the near future)?

Evan Sherry
Tampa ASL Group

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, more SK scenarios will be wanted. I hope and expect that they will see print in the ASL Journal, Operations, and in Third Party products. As to when people will graduate, that would be a very individual thing. Some people need nothing but an easier way to absorb the ASL basic rules ("Why, golly, they're not so awfully hard, Toto!"). Some people will need to achieve a basic comfort level. And I am convinced that there will be a number of people who will be perfectly happy playing ASLSK without feeling a need to tackle the Everlasting Gobstopper.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark,

I agree. I think there will be a demand for additional starter kit scenarios.

Evan Sherry

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anonymous said:
Mark,

I agree. I think there will be a demand for additional starter kit scenarios.

Evan Sherry
Mark wrote : "And I am convinced that there will be a number of people who will be perfectly happy playing ASLSK without feeling a need to tackle the Everlasting Gobstopper."

Maybe the fact that this is a STARTER kit should be more in focus, than making it a system itself? Or maybe there should be two different ASL systems?

Keith

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Making additional Starter scenarios might be to some like holding down on the ignition needlessly long eh.

Buy the Starter and decide if you like the game or no.

I am thinking of what they did to the card game Magic the Gathering.

They made Portal. It was supposed to be a simple way to learn the game. But the Magic community just saw it as more cards.

End result, it ended up as just more cards to some.

I think Starter kits should be made as just Starter Kits. I don't personally see any need to make additional materials for the Starters.

That would also be like making additional scenarios for demos. It would defeat the purpose of making the demo.

The Starters are just that, just Starters.

Henrik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I totally agree. No need to make more scenarios for the Starter Kit. The 6 that are included is a great way to get started and get you hooked. The next step should be to move on to ASL. Which of course offers more scenarios than you can shake a stick at ;-)

BTW I really liked the ASLSK. Even got my girlfriend playing, imagine that!

/Henrik

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK

Henrik,
Did your girlfriend make you "Beg for Mercy" before she beat you playing?

Kevin"still waiting for mine to arrive"

briansommers

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what im wishing for is a complete easier asl system, what does it matter? you guys who want to do the whole thing go ahead, but man im into a lot of different things and i would love to play but there is no way i can learn all those rules, the aslsk is perfect and i hope to see more little starter kit modules for things like arty and vehicles, etc. - i dont understand why some of you insist on having it as just a starter kit, why not expand it, i mean it doesnt mean you can play the "real" asl game anyway

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're talking about a totally separate game, then. Why not just pick up ATS, which is just an ASL-Lite Wanna-Be anyway?

If the goal of the ASLSKs is to get players to make the leap to ASL (or not), then there is no reason to "expand" it, because ASL is already the expansion. New scenarios are one thing, but turning it into "ASL Lite" is a waste of effort.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas Argent said:
You're talking about a totally separate game, then. Why not just pick up ATS, which is just an ASL-Lite Wanna-Be anyway?
I certainly sounds like that is what more and more people are doing by the chatter on consimworld. I sometimes wonder if ASL will out-live ATS.

da priest

Reaction score
Brian W said:
I certainly sounds like that is what more and more people are doing by the chatter on consimworld. I sometimes wonder if ASL will out-live ATS.
Ah! The expected gloom and doom guy...well since the ATS world wide stand alone tourneys are out drawing the ASL stand alone tourneys, we might have to worry...Oh! ATS doesn't have any stand alone tourneys? well silly me.... :twisted:

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm fine with a scenario or two making it into a Journal, even if it displaces that many ASL scenarios. I have more ASL ones than I know what to do with. Keeps the incentive and interest up for players who aren't sure about "stepping up" to ASL, which is really much closer than one thinks. A separate magazine or kits beyond ASLSK #3, if it goes that far? No. Anything like that ceases to be an entry into ASL and becomes a separate game system unto itself.
I fully expect there to be a permanenent separate ASLSK group. Players are already asking about tournaments, PTO, etc. May even go as far as someone starting up something like Schwerpunkt or HoB. That's cool with me. As long as the effort, support, etc. is done by someone outside MMP. They need to concentrate on ASL.
Just don't ask me to play ASL scenarios with ASLSK rules :wink:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some people will drink american beer, and of course some people will play that ATS game.

Me I am into REAL beer eh.

Now I am not against a game of Squad Leader that is simple on the brain.
In fact I am planning on using my spare time (which I have to much of by the way) to develope the concept further.

But the ASL Starter kits will never be a game onto itself. The notion is just dumb.
I mean, it sounds like you just want a cheaper copy of the game.

Now you will find loads of people willing to admit they will sympathise with you on the matter of expense. Although, even that ATS game is no small purchase. After all, if you buy just one portion of it, all you get is just one portion of it. It's not like they have unlocked some magical secret to making THEIR game cheap.

I am interested in making a return to Squad Leader in the form of a design that is every bit as good as the original, but without a need to drop major cash to get more than three introductory nations.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT turning my back on ASL.
I also prefer expensive chocolate eh. Sometimes only the best is any good :)

But I have the edge on a lot of guys getting into ASL. I already own ASL. I am one of the old guard that built it up during the early years.
I am not searching eBay for some much needed core module, I already own them all.
Well I don't have the minors vehicles modules, but I will survive not having Rumanian tanks :)

Having some "input" in our Journals is not a major hassle, in fact the Journal would be a good spot to put those niggling little details that might not merit a full bore ASL Starter.
And besides, I want the Journal to be for all of us, new comers included.
It would increase sales a bit if the new comers had decent cause to buy an issue or two as well.

But I am not supporting making anything "Starter" any more than it is meant to be. And that is a better take on what Paratrooper tried to be.
Its a sample, not a system.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One consideration...

I recently started a "new guy" on ASL. His first scenario was a PTO event on Guadacanal complete with Panjis, bunkers, HIP setup, etc.

Why? Because he was a Marine and was far more interested in the PTO than ETO operations.

I don't see a problem with some more "starter kit" scenarios. Even if you have to have the ASL counters to play them. ;)

More scenarios? Bring them on.

Sam

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with Sam. If someone wants more ASLSK scenarios, then have at it.

Actually throwing a couple into J6 or J7 might be a way to get SK players involved in the greater ASL. They'd be able to see the cool things they could do when they learn the RB.

Putting a free SK scenario up on the MMP web site might not hurt either. Bring 'em back, and tittilate them with more . . .