ADC 2 Question

mb4329

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious if anyone has had any success bringing existing scanned board game maps into ADC2? I have been trying to build several maps off of some Assault map bmps I have. However, I can't seem to get the pixel size sorted out so that the hexline overlays used by ADC2 match up with the actual ones on the maps. I have used GIMP to try and distort and stretch the map images based on the pixel sizes assigned in ADC2, but I have not had any luck.

I have been multiplying the number of pixels per hex (as identified in ADC2) by the number of hexes on the map and then modifying the map image dimensions to the calculated ones. I have also gone to the most distorted portion of the map and identified the number of pixels the two grids are off and tried to use the delta to recalculate the size of the Assault map. No matter what I try as I get towards the bottom right hand corner of the map the misalignment becomes fairly large. Any thoughts on getting around this?

Until I hit this little snag the map creation process was going well, since I didn't have to worry about spending time placing the ADC art. Figured it didn't have to look pretty since I would be making the symbol set invisible.

Thanks,
Merrick

mb4329

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reference I had come across that, but will take a second look. I also had reviewed several of the guides that are out. I had noticed the one trick of using a smaller game grid over the map, but in the case of this effort that would throw of the range calculations in POA. I'll likely reattempt building the map this weekend and failing that probably bag the effort. Hopefully it will work as I am really wanting a computerized version of Assault.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have seen a freeware program that may work for this.. had it on one of my computers a few years ago.. I will try to remember it and find it if I can.

mb4329

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the follow up. Looks like I hit a bit of a snag with reinstalling the S/W. Seems the game does not want to reinstall under Windows 7 (ADC's setup.exe is not compatible with the OS or so the OS claims) . Tried a number of things including copying it over manually, running as admin, etc. Nothing seems to work. At this stage I think I will call it done. While I would like to get these maps in POA, I don't know if I can justify the significant outlay of time it will take just to sort through the software challenges much less build the maps.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The one Wodin just posted is very good as well.
As far as Win7 and ADC2... it will run, ran on mine for awhile before I switched to this Win8 disaster :p but now, it even runs on the win8...though I have NO IDEA what I did to get it to, just one day it did, back in January, and here we are in November, and it still does :whist:

mb4329

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wodin, thanks for posting the guide. I'll take a look at it to make sure I haven't missed anything. The only issue I was having was getting the grids to align. Maybe something will jump out at me.

Navman, I may give the reinstall another shot later this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for letting me know you were able to get it running in Windows 7. At least I know it can install and run.